main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Favorite lightsaber duel in the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Mar 4, 2013.

?

Favorite OT duel?

1. Darth Vader v.s. Obi-Wan (ANH)

5.5%
  2. Luke v.s. Darth Vader (TESB)

52.4%
  3. Luke v.s. Darth Vader (ROTJ)

47.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    This is fun.

2. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    Disliking bad movies doesn't invalidate any of my arguments. And these are the OT forums. I am in the right part of the internet.

3. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    That's true, but nobody is discussing bad movies.
    Not watching or knowing about the films being discussed DOES invalidate your argument.
    And this is the Jedi Council Forum, where everyone has watched & watches the entire Saga many times. And is respectful of all the films, even the ones they don't particularly like. There are other places on the net where you can bash with glee. But seriously, watch them again.

4. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    I have watched them and do know about them. Refusing to continue to watch bad movies repeatedly doesn't invalidate my opinion about them.

5. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Once again, there are no bad movies being discussed here. Are you getting confused with the Star Wars Holiday Special?

Seagoat likes this.
  6. DARTH_small_paw

DARTH_small_paw Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    Luke vs. Vader ROTJ. Luke had everything totally under control and then loses it when Vader taunts him with the possibility of someone as golden hearted as Leia being turned to the Dark Side. Yet Luke still resisted the Dark Side. It was in this duel that Luke completely defined (and chronologically redefined) what it means to be a Jedi Knight: resisting temptation, choosing what is right over what is easy, protecting those whom you care about, and controlling your own destiny. Now if only his blade was blue instead of green... never liked that change.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Game. Set. Match. "Your winnings, sir".

8. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Not at all. But, technically, the HS is still Star Wars.

9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Officially it isn't. (Lucas has washed his hands of it). But I still consider it cannon.

10. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    It says Star Wars on it. And Lucas's word is far too fickle to be taken seriously

11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    When it comes to official Star Wars anything, Lucas is the ONLY word I take seriously.

Arawn_Fenn, SlashMan and Seagoat like this.
  12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'm going with RotJ. Luke kicked butt from beginning to end.

And the music when Luke attacks Vader complemented that scene perfectly.

13. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    SIGH

14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion?s=t

Dredalus, Alexrd and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  15. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    For me, Luke vs. Vader from ESB, it's my favorite of the entire saga.

Dredalus and Chainmail_Jedi like this.
  16. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    I'll have to go for the duel in TESB, at last Luke confronts the dreaded Darth Vader, the man who murdered Luke's father. Luke going all out to destroy this paragon of evil for the sake of the galaxy and revenge for the man he never met. A slow burning duel between a young novice Jedi and a brutal, experienced Sith warrior.
    And just as Luke knows that he's beaten and brought to his knees.........Vader drops the most surprising bombshell in movie history!!! The man Luke was desparate to destroy to avenge his late father.....IS his father........Classic, classic stuff!!

17. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Let's not trash the PT non-connecting kick, and magically forget about Luke's magical non-connecting kick in Return of the Jedi. No double standards around here. Take it all, or none of it. As for the choreography, the PT's is no better or worse than the OT's. The PT had some good and bad moments, as did the OT.

Dredalus likes this.
  18. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    "The" non-connecting kick in the PT? Lawl. You forgot to mention the blows whose trajectory would have completely missed their targets. This is significantly less of these in the duels in the OT.

The bolded part of this quote is pure opinion, and is very far from fact. .

19. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I love Luke's emotion in ROTJ. Seeing him get that anger when he is just laying blows on Vader when he is down is so interesting; and then when we cuts off his hand and sees the wires, the look on Luke's face just adds to the emotion.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    It was nice to see Luke get some payback, but since we're nitpicking, he was way over telegraphing those blows, and Vader should have been able to easily intercept Luke's cut and remove his hand, again.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  21. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Probably my favourite lightsaber moment of the saga (except for Christopher Lee's fencing salute of course :p) is Vader on the floor in ROTJ, trying to defend with Luke hammering at his lightsaber. It shows (IMHO of course) that, even before the actual moment of rebellion, Vader's heart really isn't in the fight by that point.

22. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    The new bolded part of this quote is pure opinion, and is very, very far from fact. - the PT duels were a million times better.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    In what way were the PT duels better?

24. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    RotJ for me. It was amazing to see how far lightsaber duels had come in those six years between ANH and RotJ.

Plot-wise, it was the most stirring of the duels for me because of the implications of everything around the duelists.

25. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Obi vs. Vader in ANH.

It's not the most visually interesting duel, of course, but you can't beat the banter. Two old friends, now enemies, facing off for the last time.

"When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master."

"Only a master of evil, Darth."

Might be corny to some, but it still gives me shivers. Classic. I think of that scene often.

Force Smuggler likes this.