main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Even Piell Centre for Canon and Continuity Catastrophes

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Arrian, Sep 2, 2012.

1. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Yep, I have a feeling most of the EU you have come to be so fond of is going to be thrown in the gutter. The Clone Wars is still going to be continuing on to give it a satisfactory ending and a brand new series is starting. Hard to say what time period the new series will take place in but I would imagine it will be a time period that already has characters we are familiar with (inbetween Ep. III and IV would be my guess).

I couldn't imagine them going that far back in time because I don't think at this point a time period that people are not familiar with would have as much selling power as a time period people are familiar with.

I think from now on if you want to know what the real story is meant to be you will have to watch the movies and t.v. shows.

2. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    The Sequel Trilogy movies will more than likely mess with those.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Only if Disney hires brainless hacks who can do nothing more than steal the work of established authors and sit around dark smokey rooms to determine how they can **** with it.

If Disney hires actual writers who know how to write original stories, there is no reason whatsoever why it should **** with existing continuity.

I'm pretty sure Arndt is a real writer; he did OK with Toy Story 3.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  4. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    If you really think that those guys making the movies are going to go out and read all the EU books and make sure they aren't messing with EU continuity I think you are kidding yourself.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So being too lazy to do one's research is now acceptable?

Oh noes, they are being asked to read BOOKS. What's next? They might be asked to write in cursive?

Zeta1127 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  6. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Actually, asking them to read all the extant EU would be particularly demanding IMHO. On the other hand, do the words LELAND CHEE mean nothing to these people?

Zeta1127 and Samayel_ like this.
  7. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Reading the EU books probably wouldn't be viewed as doing research by many people.

8. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    Canon canon canon! Star Wars is no longer in the possesion of a single person & is probably gonna go down the same road as most comic book characters. Different writers will have different interpretations.

And while we're on the subject of TCW, which have had hit and miss episodes/characters throughout its run, I still find more enjoyable than most things I've seen & read in the EU. In fact, better than the prequels in lots of ways. Asohka's character, for instance, I disliked because she was annoying & for the fact that she is Anakin's-never-before-mentioned apprentice. But she turned out to be the most interesting character on the show. Not the coolest looking by any means (I wouldn't walk around with Asokha Tano t-shirt or anything), but while it seems like most characters are spinning their wheels, she's evolved throughout the series.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

9. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Yup, but then I don't read comics for just that reason.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sounds like a personal problem to me.

11. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I do think asking writers to read the novels is a bit excessive. It would be one thing if a movie were based on a novel and they were reading the source material. It's different if they have to read a large quantity of post-ROTJ EU just to make sure that they are stepping on any toes.

But as Sable_Hart mentioned, I don't see why Leland Chee couldn't fill a quality control role. I.E. a script gets written, he reviews it, sends it back with some notes like "this character is dead, but maybe you can use this character instead." Or "Han Solo already has kids, these are their names, use them instead of making new ones up; This character features prominently in the EU during this time period and is very much like the character you used in the script, why not use this EU character instead?" etc.

Zeta1127, 07jonesj, JackG and 3 others like this.
  12. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Precisely. Sounds like the dude gets paid to sit in his office and twiddle his thumbs all day. I feel really bad for Jason Fry, Daniel Wallace, and the others; really talented writers who are forced to come up with bizarre and convoluted explanations ad infinitum because someone in the editing process thought Leland Chee was the sandwhich guy.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's reasonable.

14. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    That's the problem. 8-}

Darth_Zandalor likes this.
  15. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    We have this fantastic thing called Wookieepedia. It enables you to check information incredibly quickly!

16. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Hey, maybe they will give Leland Chee something to do other than smack his head against his keyboard with frustration. Seriously, Lucasfilm has an entire department devoted to keeping track of everything in the franchise, Arndt isn't pulling stuff from thin air.

17. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Well regardless the chances of them keeping the books intact are probably about as good as Disney suddenly changing their minds and giving TCW three full seasons on television.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, you keep repeating yourself.

Do you have a reason for this other than the ones that I gave?

If you choose to accept that Disney might hire talentless uncreative hacks who can only steal from already established writers--just as Lucasfilm did for TCW--that's your prerogative.

Acting like there is something wrong with others of us who have higher standards, as in, we expect the writers of the ST to actually do their own writing and their own research? That's something else.

19. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    You don't know that. Even Yoda cannot see their fate.

20. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    If it's set in 50 ABY, that gives them Luke, Leia and Han. There's no reason to overwrite the novels. Legacy might be lost depending on what they do, but losing one comic series is a pretty good compromise, instead of 2 decades of novels/comics.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep. There are ways to do this while leaving the existing EU alone. And no excuse whatsoever not to do so.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  22. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Really, it's hard to see Legacy being ruined. It is in a strong position where the only thing that needs to be changed are the numbers of the dates. If can be pushed forward in time with no repercussions, specifically because Legacy went out of its way to be as distant from the rest of the EU as possible.

Zeta1127 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  23. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I would be very surprised if they move the Sequels out to 50 ABY (if they did that that would make the characters be in their 70's and 80's). I think the timeline will closer reflect the ages of the actors so it will probably be around 30 ABY or so.

24. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    I've never been a big fan of the Legacy comic series. Mostly because it has that stereotypical art style every sith has to look like Darth Maul. SWTOR has that every sith character has to look like Vader. Legacy also has the Empire & Sith back in power, which seems like they could have came up with a better story line than just recreate the Rebellion's from the OT. But, thats just my opinion.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

25. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    The original actors look a lot older IMO.