main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Being biracial is a bit different to having these giant tentacles growing out of your head. :p

windu4 likes this.
  2. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    True, however I don't know. If they were always there you would just accept them. Maybe not in the Imperial era, but this is a discussion for a diversity thread. I can't wait for SotJ and am thrilled about it. Hear me Del Rey do NOT cancel this series.

3. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I have 3 Half-Cousins who share the same Grandparents as me and 2 Half-Cousins who share the same grandma as me.

And someone said Wedge and Bail are related, not true. Raymus and Breha share the same surname but according to wookiepedia aren't related.

How come Leia and Winter don't consider themselves sisters? I mean aren't they adoptive.

4. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I think they do to a point, but it just isn't emphasized

5. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Has there been any new info about this series?

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    None that I know of. I am excited for this trilogy but am expecting the worst.

7. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    How come? Just because the Episode 7 implications on the EU?

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Pretty much. Also tie in that the TCW series, 1313, Detours, Kemp's duology have been cancelled, delayed or no news in forever so my expectations aren't that high.

9. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Yea that's true. Well now my expectations are low too! :p

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Sorry about that. Didn't mean for that to happen but until we get word one way or another I am going to be doubtful

11. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Well I'm holding out that it will be the last series before the ST. Cool premise anyways :p

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I did theorise months ago that this has been cancelled.

I'm getting quietly concerned. Crucible is the last novel we have post-Endor for the foreseeable future...

... Legacy, save me!

Zorrixor, Manisphere and Chewbacca89 like this.
  13. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I was very underwhelmed with this series, and would be more than happy to see it cancelled.

- Written by Christie Golden (no thank you, her FOTJ books were just terrible)
    - The title! "Sword of the Jedi", far too much has been made of that since NJO, it was just a casual mention by Luke, and now they go and turn it into some semi-official title for Jaina through LOTF/FOTJ.
    - Jaina as main character? meh she is probably the most boring major EU character tbh. More X-wing books please!!

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I've been hesitant about this series' future ever since the axe started falling on things like 1313.

The books are probably just last on the axeman's list of things to get through.

Plus, as Kemp's duology shows, it's so easy to quietly make a book just disappear without saying anything, whereas there's way more people involved in making a television show or a video game, so they can't hide the fact that production of those has stopped as easily as you just tell one individual author "your books on hold, kthxbye."

Someone involved with TCW or 1313 would leak what had happened, but with stuff like SOTJ unless Golden herself breaks her silence we'd never know.
    While I'm far from a huge Jaina fan, Jaina as a main character has potential if they actually write her as, well, Jaina, and not just Female Jedi Heroine #406.

That's where she's become dull more than anything, as she rarely shows the things that once made her unique, like her interest in ships and other technical gizmos that she'd picked up from her father, and later through Jag, but which in most of the recent tales has just been relegated to the backseat while her Sword of the Jedi identity has overtaken all the things that had once made her who she was.

Can't say I'm hopeful that Golden would be the person to remember that, but Jaina herself still has it in her to be different if written right.

15. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    If Lucas can be taken at his word and the the Big 3 have been signed to Ep VII, it comes down to Disney's willingness to allow a parallel GFFA to continue to exist. I just can't see it happening. At all. Which really makes me wish it all ended on the last page of TUF.

16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    But what will Disney be afraid of the existing GFFA contradicting? The films? *shrug* The EU has weathered films and their retcons before.

Beyond films and future spin-off movies though, what are we actually expecting Disney to be releasing?

They're a heavily audiovisual company. Sprawing epics of books and novelisations just aren't in their modus operandi, so I'm genuinely unsure whether to even expect the Disneyverse to have a new literature-based universe of their own, as Disney will just be churning out more movies and more television shows, which are more localised one-off stories with far less impact than ten novels and a bucketload of comics can do a year. Sure, we'll get novelisations of the latest spin-off release, but they'll want us to buy those, so it's unclear if they'd even bother going back in time before Episode 7 and releasing novels that documented the early life of Owen Skywalker and his sister Padme.

So if they still want to be making money out of book readers, they've either got the stuff that already exists or... what exactly? Episode VII: The Novel?

If they stick by their plans with endless spin-off films forevermore, I just don't ever see EU 2.0 bothering to go back and tell its version of something like KOTOR or TOTJ as the franchise's spotlight will just remain on going forward to the next spin-off. And if the spin-offs don't even maintain their own continuity (see Captain American and Avengers), then I can't see what threat they'd fear from EU 1.0 as EU 2.0 would just be basically code for "There is no EU."

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  17. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Mani, everything depends on when the ST is set in the timeline -- if after Crucible/SotJ (and KK, GL's designated successor, was, IIRC, on the panel when/where SotJ was announced) then there might not be non-retconable problems. We simply don't have enough information yet.

Personally, I've come round to the opinion that SotJ may be a device to get the EU characters with the most complicated backstories (what some have called 'baggage') out of the way for a while -- off on a long-term mission -- to let new faces take centre-stage as the new leads and next bearers of the torch.

18. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Guys, if Han, Leia and Luke are in Episode VII, there will be no Jaina or Jag or Anakin Ben or Jacen. How do you retcon that? Like I said, if what Lucas said was fact, our EU will be paved over. It's not meant to be retconable.

Why would Disney nix the current post ROTJ era? Cause they want to. Cause they can. Cause they see huge huge HUGE dollars in their business model for Star Wars. It's true, our EU is small potatoes. So was TCW and Detours. In fact I think TCW, Detours and much of the EU detract from the "coolness" of the Star Wars brand. I'm talking about how cool and popular it was 20 or 30 years ago.

I'd love for Disney to let us have our small piece of cake. I just don't see it happening. Sometimes companies just want everything under their own umbrella. Am I happy about it? Not at all. As for us not having enough information? At this rate we'll have all the information we need in a month.

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    You forget that 20 or 30 years ago it was new. It's not anymore. Won't ever be again. If "novelty" alone was all the public wanted, TCW wouldn't have died off after the general public got bored after a couple of seasons.

Likewise, the "official continuation of the story" won't be another trilogy of novels set after Episode IX like happened with TTT. Reading is not a popular interest anymore. Its a niche market. Don't expect a new EU with lots of books driving it forward. All you're going to get is the equivalent of stories like Deceived and Wild Space: easy money, direct tie-ins, disposable pulp that can be forgotten after the next movie that rolls out. If they don't just do spin-offs about Vader or Yoda, anything set in the future will be a television series or MMORPG first, and tie-in novels second.

However, that also actually doesn't leave much for them to pave over, as they won't even be thinking about EU 1.0, anymore than Troy Denning thinks about the Marvel comics. But nobody mentioning Crimson Jack doesn't mean Crimson Jack didn't exist, it just means nobody cares about him anymore. Don't forget that there's a reason Legacy sold well and LOTF got lots of complaints: because the general market like to learn what happens to their characters, going back in time to fill in gaps doesn't have the same interest levels (why has it taken us over thirty years to get Kenobi?), so even if you don't hear much about Jag or Jaina, I don't know why anyone thinks we'll get a novel series set in 10 ABY about Owen Skywalker's childhood.

Darth Plagueis is a wonderful novel, but there's not much else published about characters Pre-TPM because people know how the story ends, they know who dies and who lives, backstory isn't as big a market as the ridiculously packed number of stories we've had Post-Order 66 set in 18 BBY. We still don't know much about Luke and Leia's childhoods beyond what ANH told us or very broad allusions that might pop up in the odd line.

If they do stories about Owen Skywalker, they'll be set after Episode IX so people can learn what happens to him. Those Vong Wars thirty years earlier? Who cares whether they happened one way or the other; that's old news. Like the Nagai invasion, nobody gives a kriff to mention whether it happened or not. But that also means they won't not have happened; it just means nobody will bother to talk about them anymore.

But how often was Dark Empire brought up during Bantam?

The "coolness" might return for the three new Episodes themselves, but Disney will be kidding themselves if they believe anything else will last any longer than it did for TCW. My older brother, who was a huge fan of the OT when it came out, had the toys, the duvet covers, the large Millennium Falcon toy that I apparently broke, he was thrilled about the sequels... but the moment I told him about Disney's desire for spin-offs after that, he rolled his eyes and said that'll be the end of that then and lost interest.

So EU 2.0 will be no more a niche interest for hardcore geeks than it was back then.

20. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i am looking forward to this. it will be better than Crucible, IMO. as long as jaina is given some life and written in character it will be good.

21. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    How about they just release two different Episode VIIs? One that keeps the EU and one that doesn't?

22. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I said last year that since Episode 7 isn't being done by George, there is no longer any reason to treat it as higher canon, so the novelisation should retcon the film, rather than the other way around for a change. :p

23. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Big call

i couldn't disagree more. While his overall direction for post-NJO EU has been iffy, when taken alone Denning's books are brilliant IMO, the writing and action scenes are excellent and in both LOTF/FOTJ his books have been easily the stand out (with exception of Invincible, don't know what happened there . . .).
    In contrast, Golden's FOTJ books were terrible, the writing and storys were simplistic and plain bad, also so many simple editing errors. Of course there is a chance she will improve, but going on past form, I am more excited for Crucible than i have been for anything in recent times, and SOTJ, i really couldn't care less about.

I hope she proves me wrong though, cause i will be buying it regardless lol

24. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I disagree. I Think Golden's FOTJ novels were brilliant. I think she will do even better with this SOTJ series, working alone.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm still trying to figure out what you think The Avengers contradicted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.