main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Sky's Models

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Skywalker_T-65, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Blame Adalia-Durron for me posting this in here :p

Anyway, I've been playing around on Blender (3D modeling software) since late last year, and I've been posting the results over in the EUC. But, this probably deserves its own thread by this point. So I'll toss in the best I've made so far, and move from there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a lightsaber made for Admiral Volshe , and in case you're wondering about the dullness in the dual mode, that's because of the distance the camera is at.

2. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    A second set of models is a ship design:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    And to end things for now, an X-Wing I made for Addie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one probably takes first place in the 'most detailed model' department.

4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    This is the right place for them :) . I believe 3D to be a form of art, in this case you are have been doing sculpting in 3D.

I've had limited experience with Blender (I am currently using Maya), how are you finding it?

ChrisVon1974 likes this.
  5. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Finding Blender? There is a website with tutorials and everything.

http://www.blender.org/

Unless you meant something else of course :p

6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I meant about your own experience with the software :p

7. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    You see, I blame being half-asleep :p

Its nice. The learning curve was interesting, but I've gotten quite good at it these days.

8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    There's not enough hours in the day and never enough for sleep :p

The more time you spend with it, the more you learn new ways to do things. I look forward to seeing what you are producing next :)

9. Lord_Dubi

Lord_Dubi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    these are awesome, love the saber, very unique :)

10. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Late in the coming, but a rudimentary A-Wing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a green variation:

[​IMG]

11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    That is coming along nicely :) You've got me wanting to model again.

Will you be developing this further?

12. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Yep, not sure how much I'll develop it, but I am still working on the A-Wing.

Of course, I managed to leave my mouse at home, and I can't use Blender with just my laptops touch pad, so it may be awhile :p

13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I am jumping back in to modelling/light/animating elements soon for my film project, got to lock in the concept designs before I start that.

If I may suggest, you would get a more accurate look if you taper the nose of the craft, raise the cockpit a bit more higher and the section behind to match. Might also narrow the width of it a tad. How are you with texturing?

I recommend investing in a wacom tablet. It makes it more easier, more ergonomic in the long run and reduces the risk of RSI that you can get from a mouse.

14. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I was going to taper the nose eventually. That was the next thing I was going to do anyway :p

As for texturing...yeah...not good at all. I can do the modeling, but texturing is a non-starter.

15. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Live thread, LIVE!!! :p

Anyway, since I continuously forget about this thing, this is the first model I've posted in here in a while. I would like to think I've improved since I last posted in here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's basically complete, barring the underside (propeller, rudder, etc.) or any suggestions I get to add on the topside (barring more guns, its got quite enough as is thank you :p )

16. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Not nearly enough guns on that fantasy battlewagon. You've got your main armament and about half of what would be the secondary batteries (which were dual-purpose guns that could target surface or air threats), and varying types of anti-aircraft artillery (AAA) ranging from heavy, long-ranged guns (about 105mm) to medium-ranged rapid-fire cannons (40mm) to smaller, short-ranged automatic guns (20mm). Don't forget ship's boats and maybe an aircraft catapult (plus at least one crane), and the railings should be double- or triple-bar instead of the battlements on that model.

That aside, the main gun turrets look quite nice, though they could be bigger in relation to the guns themselves (wider and longer).

17. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    It's admittedly hard to see, but the boats are set up around the funnels, and the structure between the funnels is the place where the aircraft+plus support facilities for said plane would be. I'm not quite at the level where I feel comfortable with the crane and such.

I did admittedly botch the railings. I meant those to be double, but completely forgot as I was cutting bits out, and its a long process to add back on a second rail.

As for the weaponry, right now it has the nine main guns (debating if they are twelve or fourteen inchers at this point), and sixteen secondaries (eight 6-inchers in dual turrets, and eight 4-inchers also in dual mounts). There are dedicated AA guns, namely 40mm's in mounts on top of two of the main turrets. I'm not sure where exactly I could fit more of those, but that's the one area I do feel it's light on weaponry. And both of the secondary guns are dual-purpose guns too.

Still, thanks for commenting. I do need to know where I can improve on my models.

EDIT: It also bears mentioning this is a battlecruiser not a battleship. The armament would be light if this were a BB (compared to something like the Bismark which had 12 5.9 inch secondaries), but since this is a ship built more for speed than direct combat, it sacrifices a bit on secondary weapons.

18. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    More work on the battlecruiser:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking advice to heart, I made an attempt at fixing the railing. I also changed up the stern spotting tower, and absolutely peppered the thing in AA guns.

64 40mm's (16 quad mounts)
    38 20mm's (singles)

To be exact. Each of those little boxes with dots are AA mounts, just hard to see at this scale. There are also some of the 20's on the lower level of the bow tower. That's somewhere between the Alaska-class cruiser/battlecruiser and the Iowa in AA's, so that should be plenty of guns I would think.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  19. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Nice work Skyguy, great to see your latest additions and that your skills have developed quite. :)

I've been meaning to comment sooner but I do enjoy that you have done quite a bit of research and been striving to be as accurate as possible.

If you are keen on getting a curve in that bow, you could added a few more rows of edges on that hull bow section running horizontal and press them inward to taper them and should have that sweeping curve to the keel like the Alaska-class cruiser has.

20. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    And almost two years later...

New ship, much better than the old one (IMO). Part of that is because while the Ersatz-Yorck doesn't exactly have a lot of material, it's still not a totally original design. Part of it is I've really improved, or at least, would like to think I have. That being said, this is still a good chunk of original work, since I'm basing this as a modernized (modernized as of WW2) Yorck. Sorta like the Japanese Kongou class, in that regard. Same intention anyway.

Now for the images, three of which I'll put in spoiler tags for those with less than stellar internet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the weaponry, we have:

4x2 15in
    12x1 5.9in
    (8) 4x2 4.1in (Dual Purpose)
    (24) 12x2 40mm (AA)
    (28) 12x1/4x4 20mm (AA)

Which, admittedly, doesn't seem like much. But this is basically sticking as many guns as logically possible on a WW1-era design. Giving it an Iowa's AA isn't going to happen.

21. ChrisVon1974

ChrisVon1974 Jedi Knight

Mar 21, 2015
    I have to second Corellian_Outrider's statement earlier about 3-D modeling being a form of art that is digitally "sculpted". There is a website I found some time back, who's owner promotes the idea that the physical modeling of objects by mediums such as plastic, wood, paper, or clay can be replaced through the use of computer modeling. He even goes so far as to list the pros and cons of creating physical models versus their 3-d CGI counterparts. His sight can be found at
    http://airplanes3d.net/index_e.html (By the way, I get no commission for promoting his sight, I don't even know the guy!)

I have seen 3-D computer models that run on par with actual physical / studio scale models.

22. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    And, since I'm finding these ships quite fun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A hypothetical modernization of the Lexington-class battlecruiser. Fun model really. Got the secondaries about as well as I think I could, though I was improvising there.

23. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    And again with a multi-month hiatus...

Anywho, a much more fictional modernization of HMS Tiger:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More or less original design this time, extrapolated from the Imperial German GK-series of battlecruiser proposals.

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I am glad to see your latest progress :) That is looking really nice with the details you are sculpting.

Have you got rigged up for moving parts?