main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"This deal is getting worse all the time!"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by IG_2000, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I was overwhelmed with happiness since Lucasfilm was acquired by Disney and the prospects of new films, but taking a look at the changes since then:

1. Cancellation of the 3D rereleases
    2. Suspension of Star Wars: First Assault (and by association Star Wars Battlefront III) and Star Wars 1313
    3. Cancellation of The Clone Wars.

And so on. I somewhat question why a company that has an infinite amount of money would purchase a franchise only to make now real use of the assets that were already in production. I mean, Star Wars First Assault and 1313 were nearly complete, and Disney effectively had two free video games on the pallet for them to release and make profit on.

So really, what the hell is going on?

2. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    All focus will be on post-ROTJ era.....which is unfortunate since that era IMO sucks.:p

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It's a course correction. They're clearing the decks and cleansing the pallet.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    [​IMG]
    "I am altering the deal! Pray I don't alter it any further!"

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    [​IMG]
    "Kathleen Kendedy, take Ashley Ackstein and Dave Feloni to my ship."

6. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    And Star Wars Detours. Granted, lot of people think the show was stupid to begin with but it's worth mentioning. :p Yeah this kind of sucks. Pretty much all the Star Wars projects we've been hearing about pre-Disney buyout are cancelled. Null and void. I expected a little bit of this but Disney is just going nilly willy cancelling everything. And I think they should move on from the Clone Wars but I don't want all Star Wars from here on out being ST-era. =/

7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's going to be a scary next few years

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Bottom line, SW as we knew it will never be the same again. Say what you will about the PT, but IMHO I thought this era was more interesting than the post-ROTJ time period. Granted, I bought some of the post-ROTJ books/comics back in the day (HTTE Tim Zahn trilogy, Dark Empire by Dark Horse, etc.), but have little interest in seeing this time period explored in films & other media. Sure, I'll see the new movies since they're SW, but I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about these as I was for the PT films.

9. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    My feelings are pretty much the same.

I was excite for the PT because that era really hasn't been touch and Vader's past interested me. But I really could care less about Luke, Leia, and Han after ROTJ.

CaptainRex115 likes this.
  10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The 3D releases are postponed, not cancelled. The same goes for Detours.
    Most of these things have more to do with the coming of the new trilogy than Disney.

- I feel so... helpless.
    - Here we go again.

/LM

Alexrd likes this.
  11. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    But honestly, they will probably be postponed indefinitely, or otherwise cancelled. Lucas Films said in its announcement that it does not make sense for them to air a Star Wars parody in light of its future trilogy, so Detours will be postponed to a 'later date'. When's that? After episode 9 is released in 2020? But then spinoffs and TV shows will be in the mix so it won't make sense for them to air it then either. Detours is done. And it's really hard to imagine them continuing the 3D airings either at this point.

CaptainRex115 likes this.
  12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Spoken like a true pessimist! I'm an optimist, myself. Until they say it's cancelled, it's not cancelled.

- Oh, Biggs is right, I'm never gonna get outta here!
    - Your focus determines your reality.

/LM

Darth_Quintonis and Yunners like this.
  13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Agreed. It's analogous to when someone buys a sports team and decides to come in and clean house; New GM, new coach, new players. Maybe tweak the uniforms. Those were all plans made before they acquired SW. What they want now is brand synergy.

There's a sense the same thing will happen when Dark Horse's contract is up. Same with Random House/DelRey.

14. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    First 3D is just a gimmick in my opinion and unless filmed in 3D it is really just a waste of money to see. Would the movie look somewhat different? Sure. But not worth pursuing.

Second the clone wars TV show was good, to an extent. There was sooo much bad writing and bad story telling that the series seemed to drag. Darth Maul resurrection.. really? Droid story line that went 4 episodes...really? Im all for more TV episodes, but the current series was just a major let down for me.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  15. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    People interested in both books and comics relating to Star Wars should be worried. Disney has a history of ignoring both.

Yes, I know they bought Marvel, but it's just a matter of time until the print divisions are shut down. All Disney wants is the character rights.

16. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Disney in now way is shutting down print divisions, specifically Marvel. Yes, Disney is primarily more concerned with character rights and intellectual properties, but Marvel is a comic book publisher first and foremost, and it is still lucrative in that regards. Furthermore, Disney continues to use print media to further establish and strengthen brands. Scrooge and Mickey Mouse comics have continued to be published and republished over the past decades, and in the past few years, new series of Darkwing Duck, Chip & Dale, and Tron, among many others, continue to be made. In fact, there's a lot of great Disney printed material out there for consumption.

I would imagine that the current EU will sadly be discontinued, and instead Disney will have a new line of Star Wars comics and books. We'll soon find out which direction they chose to go in the near future.

If your comment was specifically made to reference actual hard copy "printed" material, then maybe I might agree with you somewhat. While people have been declaring print media's death for years now, it still has a lot of legs to go before it dies. Irregardless of that, material that would appear in "print material," such as comics and books, will simply became e-books. The proliferation of tablet and smartphones has in many ways created a renaissance for comic books. So while, say, in some 10-15 years we might have less material in printed form, that material will still be made and distributed digitally.

We also cannot forget key emerging markets in places like South America and Africa. Good reliable internet connections and access to technological devices such as tablets are not necessarily as widespread yet, as it is in European, North American, and Asian markets. Printed material, for example, will continue to be important in many of these places for perhaps a longer time than in already established markets. Now more than ever, major corporations like Disney have to think on a global scale.

17. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    ^Marvel is an IP holding company now as well, only now a subsidiary of Disney. The books haven't been their "bread and butter income" for years. This is well known in the industry. DC is the same way.

18. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    New Movies>merchandising

I like the Clone Wars cartoon, but if giving that up gets me new feature length films, that's a win.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, uh, Time Warner has held onto DC decades longer than Disney has had Marvel and they haven't exactly shuttered DC comics publishing. Saying that Disney will shut down Marvel comics is chicken little sky is falling rhetoric.

"Hey, Marvel comics has been around since the 20s and it's still making a profit and takes up over 50% of the comic book market share and keeps punching out IPs for us to sell in different mediums! Let's shut it down just to be jerks!"

Yeah, sure.

Darth_Pevra and darklordoftech like this.
  20. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Yeah, but Lucas was making the new films anyway in addition to all of this stuff.

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Fans of the series will still have more episodes yet to come in some form. Filoni and the press release state as much.

22. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    "Before the dark times...before the Empire"

23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    No he wasn't. He had treatments, and he went forward with these plans as part of his exit/retirement strategy to make Lucasfilm a more attractive property. Had there been no sale, there would have been no movies.

24. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    One new movie every 3-4 years vs 20 new episodes per year...gonna go with the 20.

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    They are going to wrap up the loose ends and then end it. The writing is on the wall. That was an expensive show to produce, and without the distribution money coming in it is cost prohibitive. We'll get these story arcs finalized and then it's a wrap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.