main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I hope that you figure out whatever it is, JL.

I got my. Insulin pump yesterday. It's awesome. I feel like a cyborg. And now, instead of 4 needles a day, I only have to do one every 3 days.

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    [​IMG]

More than a week ago I wrote about my decoration.
    Now with the picture

LLL, mavjade , TrakNar and 4 others like this.
  3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow. Again, congrats.

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    People get 'effect' and 'affect' mixed up too, especially as there's 'to effect' which means 'to cause'. EG, both of these are correct:

How does US foreign policy effect hostility towards the US?
    and:
    How does US foreign policy affect hostility towards the US?

The first asks how it causes it, the second how it it changes it.

Edit: congrats earlybird-obi-wan! :D

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Well done, Earlybird. :)

6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Congrats earlybird-obi-wan.

So I bought a writer's phrase book and it is awful. It has weird phrases. What does it mean when a person is "Still beavering away?". Does that mean they are busy at work? Or "the city was under smutty darkness"...does anybody talk like that? Maybe this is a book for Canadians...they have beavers there and it is dark in the winter.

I have not found a good phrase yet. "Rough winds that swept like lost souls", "He sat with sneakers angled on the floor like frogs feet", "Standing there with an indolent, tomcat grace", "A fountain splashed mellifluous sounds", "Her face was coffin-shaped and elegant".

I think I just wasted six dollars.

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Not even Canadians talk like that. I think you just wasted 6 dollars too.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  8. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
  9. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    The only halfway decent one is the one I changed to red. I've seen guys sitting like that many times, though I wouldn't have thought of it quite like that.

The "coffin-shaped and elegant face" made me scratch my head.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Nope. No smut here. Just smoggy darkness in Toronto :p

11. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    "Still beavering away" means something like "still busy working" or similar. I don't use it often but I use it and I know others who do. We're not Canadian either. Not sure about "smutty darkness".

Coffin shaped faces sounds like something you'd find in a cheesy gothic novel, probably a romance or something tragic.

12. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Matt Smith of Doctor Who has a coffin shaped face, I would say.

13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I just got back from my medical apointment for my dizzy spells. I think I was insulted by the nurse practicioner. My blood pressure was 115 over 75. Which is what it has been since forever. She says she is concerned about my extremely low blood pressure. I was confused. "I thought that was a normal blood pressure?"

She told me that it is but somebody of my age and weight should have a much higher BP. What? So I can't be old and overweight and be healthy?

Twenty years ago I was at a health fair and after taking my height and weight I was deemed unfit. The counselor asks me if I exercise. I said, "I completed a marathon last week, does that count?"

Meh! :p

There was fluid in my ears that could have caused the problem. They did an EKG which was according to my Nurse Practicioner, "Amazingly good...in fact I haven't seen one so perfect." I surprised her. I guess at my age I should be on my death bed. They drew blood for tests. Until then I was told to hydrate so I can get my blood pressure up and take allergy medicine for my sinuses that are draining fluid into my ears. So it doesn't look like anything bad so far. Yea!

LLL, TrakNar and Alexis_Wingstar like this.
  14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    If you can run a marathon it doesn't surprise me that your BP is low. Mine is too (the same or even less) and my heart-rate is under sixty. The doc told me not to worry at all. I just have to be cautious after sleeping and standing up.

LLL likes this.
  15. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Ah, fluid in the ears is a pain in the neck! Those allergy meds should bring up your BP, too. I'm glad it doesn't seem like anything too serious. :)

LOL if she thinks 115/75 is low... mine is usually 99/65 or somewhere around that. My body becomes very easily dehydrated which can make it go even lower real fast, and my doctor tells me I'm his only patient he tells to eat more high-sodium foods.

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Mine is (was) way too high: 150/140 at its worst a few years back, though at last check it was about 135/9x. Dr. said to cut back on salt (umm, already eat low-salt), exercise more (do plenty of hikes in the summer), lose weight (well...she had a point there) and drink more water (I'm more of a coffee/tea gal).

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    earlybird-obi-wan - I did two marathons when I was younger but I haven't done any distance running for 14 years now. After I had the kids my body has went downhill. I just wanted to point out that when I was doing marathons my doctors were saying I needed to get in shape based purely on my height & weight.

Oh, another thing the Nurse was using all this fancy jargon...I don't know why...maybe she wanted to impress me. She said I was suffering from a pre-syncope. So I said, "A syncope is a fancy word for fainting...right?"

She looked surprised that I knew it. HA! I write fanfiction and Cilghal had told my OC he experienced a syncope. See, you learn all types of stuff writing fanfiction. :p

18. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    *facepalm* Because I have an apparent inability to refuse any plot bunny that comes to me, I am now writing a book on haunted places in Utah.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My left kidney has been hurting again. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a stone in there that won't pass, either because it's too big or it's just plain stubborn. A simple x-ray of my kidneys would tell me immediately what's up, but I lack my own transportation, so I'm just dealing with it.

20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Drink lots of fluids. Cranberry juice especially.

21. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    That's basically the plan. However, I lack cranberry juice at the moment. Though, I am heading out tomorrow, so I can get some. Since this is the same kidney and the same pain, and the pain wasn't necessarily alleviated when I drank a bunch of water and cranberry juice, I'm wondering if the stone simply will not pass. If that's the case... I guess I'd better make a doctor's appointment for the sole purpose of a referral for an x-ray, which will all be an ordeal just to get to. Times like this, I wish I had a car... and a walk-in clinic nearby.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I am going to buy stock in Cranberry Juice companies because that is all I drink and it seems everybody else is also. ;)

So I saw that The Clone Wars is ending after the fifth season and there is going to be a new TV animated series set in an era not touched by the movies or TV series in the past. Could that be an animated series of the EU to catch people up prior to EP7? I would like to see an animated Luke and Mara and animated bootknocking! HA! Make it a Heavy Metal-esque type of movie with Luke and Mara. :D

http://starwars.com/news/a-new-direction-for-lucasfilm-animation.html

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Yikes! Also *hugs*! My brother is prone to kidney stones and it's been a saga worthy of the classic trying to sort it out.

24. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    I've watched my wife go through the pain of natural childbirth three times. If dealing with kidney stones is any comparison you have my sympathy.

25. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I'd say something about that, but it'd be under the category of TMI :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.