main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
  2. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Hellbird as a literal translation, war bird or bird of prey in the tradition of taking Mando'a not seriously. That's what I like about it, so long as you have the appropriate noun or phrase, it can be taken any way you want.

3. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Pretty much. ;)

[​IMG]

4. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    *facepalm* I spelled my own name wrong :confused:

Whoever adds their name to the roster can they just change it to Genet'cabur Kyramud

5. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    awesomejedi & Genet

I've started a list of Mandalorian stuff one potentially might want to check out. I kinda went retro on this, thinking back to stories I read over the years that tie into either Mandalorians or Boba Fett. Not many novels on the list yet though :p

I'll start with Marvel #68 & #69, followed up later by a few titles #99-$107. Those later titles were my real introduction to Mandalorians other than Fett as I collected the comic books at bit more seriously at age 10 or so than I did at age 8 :p I recall how cool it was to see Mandalorians joining the Rebels, meeting Fenn Shysa and the like. I only actually got around to reading 68/69 a few years back when I got them with the comic pack action figure sets. Those two comics are where Mandalore itself really gets born and characters like Shysa get first introduced. There is some confusion over Fett being there of course but its been long since sorted out as it not having been Fett himself, but a clone named Spar that Shysa was trying to sell as Fett for name recognition.

The next thing that came to mind is another comic, this time from Dark Horse in 1997. This comic shows Fett hunting an imposter Mandalorian and it references Shysa and Tobbi Dala - It actualy tied in well with Marvel at the time, prior to the Prequel re-invention of Boba.

Another odd ball that you might enjoy, novels this time, are some of the later books in the Young Jedi Knights series that include Fett(later retconned to be his daughter Ailyn). Reading those thinking thats it is Ailyn under the mask is kinda neat. One of the characters even mentions how "Fett could be a woman under that armor for all we know":p, which is a large part of what lead to the nifty retcon.

One other thing, right now that I'd say you might have fun checking out is Droids Episode 4 which features Boba Fett. Its on youtube and is a lot of fun if you can spare the 20 minutes to check it out.

I'll be back with more at some point. :)

6. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    got another casting call for us? You're a lethargic sloth.

Commander_Ducky and Robimus like this.
  7. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Thanks for the ideas; I'll definitely read some of those.

8. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    But who is the more lethargic, the sloth or the sloth who follows him? :p

9. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Well if I go ahead and make the post for the next casting call instead of you then we wouldn't need to follow the sloth. As it stands, I'm kinda forced to follow the sloth since I can't do anything if I jump the gun.

10. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    What if we actually spend the time between casting calls discussing something Mandalorian related, instead of just languishing in lethargy until the next one?

Random topic I'm throwing out here; discuss, don't discuss at your leisure.
    So we've had two faction-specific source books come out relatively recently, The Jedi Path and Book of Sith. Would anybody else be interested in a Mandalorian-based book in the same vein? If not, why? If so, what would you want it to cover? Would you like to see new historical characters, such as a new Mandalore introduced, or should it expand on lesser known characters like the original Jaing, or the Warfare guide's newly introduced Mandalore the Uniter? Should there be an updated Mando'a dictionary with new terms, or more focus on customs, the evolution of their religion, and other cultural aspects?

Let's see how this goes over...

11. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    I was wondering that myself when I saw those two book at Barnes and Noble. I'd definitely buy it, it'd be really interesting to see what they put in it. Even better, I'd love to see an updated Mando'a dictionary, but it seems bleak since Karen Traviss stopped adding to it.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  12. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I would like to see more of the Mandalorian's recovery between the period of the Preserver to the Lesser Mandalores. Clan Ordo got their asses kicked for suggesting that they back the Jedi rather than the Sith. Clan Ordo also seem to be the only ones aware that the Sith were responsible for the Mandalorian fall in the first place when they manipulated them into being shock troops.

What I really wanted to see was the TOR Holocron completed, with Gnost Dural actually finishing the timeline. His segment on the Mandalorian Blockade is a pretty fascinating in universe look at how Mandalorians are seen and treated. They are still the only galactic power apart from the sith to openly challenge the Jedi and put up a fight.

It would be nice to see after all the effort Bioware went to to destroy or marginalize everything done in KOTOR 2.

13. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    I actually don't think they did. According to TOR, Clan Ordo's still a clan in good standing amongst their people. Corridan Ordo's a well-respected figure, and Clan Ordo's something of a second family to companion character Torian Cadera. Finding out just what happened with Canderous, though, and why his efforts apparently floundered would be a great bit to cover.

14. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    If such a book were introduced I would like it to delve into the events that created the New Mandalorians and their split with traditional Mandalorian society. Most of the focus being on how the more traditional elements viewed the New Mandalorians and held onto their own identity.

[​IMG]

Mia Mesharad and Commander_Ducky like this.
  15. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Sounds good to me!

16. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Sounds good. Though the Warfare guide's already detailed the New Mandalorians' origins, along with the Mandalorian Excision. More could only be good.

On the subject of the New Mandalorians, I think I'd like a segment on them, similar to how the Book of Sith featured a chapter on the Nightsisters. We see traces of their own subculture in the series, and have gotten a bit more through a variety of other source books, but I think a specific look at who these people are and who they think they are would be interesting. They obviously breach the Resol'nare in several respects, and it seems like they've largely given up their language in favor of Basic and Aurebesh. Is that just a show convention, or is it cultural assimilation in an attempt to ingratiate themselves to the Republic? When Vizsla says the New Mandalorians don't follow the "warrior faith," is that a reference to Death Watch following the war-worshipping ways of the Crusaders, or that the New Mandalorians don't practice the traditional Mandalorian religion? And how do they fit into the larger, warrior-inclusive Mandalorian culture? These types of things, I feel, would make a fascinating section of the book.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    With Legacy Vol. 2 coming soon, I wonder if we'll ever hear from Hondo Karr again, or if not him then just the Mandalorians in general. A sort of "Mandalorian Tome" could not only look at culture, but also fill in some history. Like, why the changes in helmet styles by the time of Legacy?

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  18. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Yeah, that's what I mean. It seemed that Clan Ordo's supporters were shot down at some point. Even if they still stick with the Mandalorians, they know that their power has been built on a lie by the Sith. It must be frustrating to discover that every great Mandalorian offensive or rise to power has been the result of an orchestrated attempt by the Sith.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  19. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    See my thoughts have always been that we could discuss something besides the casting calls at various points. I thought that if we just rushed from one casting to the next other discussion might get derailed a little.

If you would like to take over the casting calls Zan your more than welcome to it. I often don't have a ton of time between work, and family life - thus I usually save them for my days off when I have more time to sit down and give them some attention.

20. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    That would be a great idea actually, something included with the dictionary. I'm sure there are enough Mandalorian fans to make such a publication sell at a decent enough rate.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  21. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    What if instead of one person doing all of the casting calls, we could rotate it through the group? One person does casting calls one week, then another person the next? It would help keep the ball rolling and if somebody was away for a while, we could continue by passing the responsibility onto the next in line?

22. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Another topic of discussion:

[​IMG]
    During the Clone Wars, the Mandalorian Protectors made use of an army of advanced BL-series Battle Legionnaire droids. They fought alongside these droids in numerous battles, event toasting their metallic comrades before the Battle of New Bornalex as they would their fellow Mandos. It's noted that the Legionnaire droids hold a place of respect in Mandalorian culture the likes of which harken back to the Basilisk war droid mounts. But during the Battle of Norval II, the Protectors were ambushed and nearly wiped out and the majority of the Legionnaire droids were destroyed. Only three Protectors survive―Spar, Fenn Shysa, and Tobbi Dala―returning to Mandalore at the war's end. There's nothing in canon that says what happened to these surviving Legionnaires, beyond the one Boba Fett later finds. Yet, assuming that the droids came back to Mandalore with Spar, Shysa, and Dala, what do you think would happen to them? Were they powered off like unneeded weapons, stored away in a Keldabe warehouse? Were they sold to prospective buyers, Mandalorian or foreign? Or do you think that, having proved themselves on the battlefield, the remaining Legionnaires would be welcomed into Mandalorian society as veteran equals?

Jaster Vhett and Robimus like this.
  23. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    [face_thinking] One supposes it could be a combination of the three options you outline. Some sold off, some "allowed" into Mando society..or even not but allowed to become bounty hunters with still a few others put into storage should they need to be used again.

In any case there couldn't be more than a handful around in any capacity as there weren't many built and as you state, most were destroyed in the war.

[​IMG]

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  24. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    If folks want to do this I'm all for it. If not the responsibilty is still going to fall to basically one person.

Lets cast BL-17 :p

One thing I think we should keep in mind with anything we do is that not everyone signs in here every day, some might only pop in once per week. Slow and steady, with whatever we are up to, likely has benefits.

25. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I have no problem with leaving the casting game at a slow boil. Eventually we will run out of characters, it would be good to keep it going for as long as we can.

[​IMG]