main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #3: In the Shadow of Yavin, part 3 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Then what are you looking for in this particular series and why do think there's a good chance of it actually being delivered?

Because from what you've posted I'm concluding a snowball has a better chance of survival in hell! I don't see those elements you've sketched out as wanting happening.

And no, I wasn't being especially sarcastic, your post suggests quite clearly that it is unpredictability that you're after, that's a perfectly logical inference to make from what you typed, but I also included the word "appear", now you're saying that's not the case, well fine, appearances can be deceptive, especially on internet forums, what is it then?

By the by, yes, you are being a jerk by seeing offence very quickly where none was intended. Yeah, my response did engage in fun-pokery but that was all it was intended as, perhaps a few emoticons would have made it clearer, I really did not think you would see it such a cold and serious fashion. My expectation was that you would see it as the obvious gag it was.

2. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The image in question:

[​IMG]

And this is, to my mind, a great case for showing how differently people read things:

Steve's take is it's a narration box, therefore the narrator is trying to invoke a sense jeopardy that he shouldn't be.

But, when I read it, I read it as Han's response to his predicament at the time!

So, 1 image, 2 totally different readings!

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Except the purpose of that line is not to add suspense. It's just a character monologue. It's from Han's point of view, after all, who has no idea he'll live for decades and buy a Skyhouse. Brian Wood certainly isn't stupid; he knows that he's not going to fool anyone into thinking Han will die, and I doubt that's at all his intent with the line. I feel that if you're writing a story, you should attempt to inhabit it and its characters as much as possible. In this case, Han's not thinking about his next adventure. He's fully focused on the task at hand. It's the same with Stover's Shadows of Mindor, which is very heavy handed in the "will the characters escape alive?" department. Of course they will. But it'd certainly be much less believable if the characters didn't act like they believed it.

I understand your problem with the idea of pretending to put characters the audience knows are safe in peril, but I've never bought the idea that this can detract from a story. If I watch an action movie, and the protagonist is in trouble halfway through the movie, I know that the character's not going to die. If the scene's done well, though, I won't particularly care, and I certainly won't call it a cheap ploy to build suspense. If I read a long books series, it's generally a safe bet the main character won't die in the first few books. Doesn't mean they won't be put in peril. Hell, comics practically breathe this trope. I'm not reading the current Spider-man, but it's obvious that the current status quo is temporary. Every months, those characters are put into some new dangerous situation, and even if they die, they'll be back eventually. It doesn't mean that every comic should be written like Deadpool.

So I guess I'm not really sure what the "predictable cliche" here is. Putting your characters in peril and treating it as serious? Well, I suppose that's a cliche... but it's one for good reason.

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Why do we rewatch the same movies?

Because knowing the end doesn't matter.

5. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I usually don't read SW books or the tv show to follow characters who's paths are all settled, though. If this were the films, it's one thing, but this is a brand new story.

6. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    But its being inserted into an already established timeline between ANH and TESB. We know Han has to survive, even if he doesn't. In this specific case, it might have been more clever if they made a joke about Han's luck being the only thing he could count on in that situation. To me, it seemed like they were making the "I have a bad feeling about this" joke in a different way.

7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Unless Han thinks about himself in the third person, I think it's pretty clear it's an omniscient narrator talking and not a recording of Han's own thoughts.

And this is one of many reasons why most comics are panned as bland stories with no real consequences. The fact that dozens of other comics do it shouldn't excuse the fact it's not clever or good writing. Especially something coming from the guy who did DMZ and Northlanders - I would expect more from Brian Wood. I'd have a hard time seeing someone like Brian K. Vaughan (or Ostrander to keep it in SW comics authors) doing this.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Would a thought bubble have been a better way of doing it if it were to be done?

That device has fallen out of fashion and hasn't been used in years however.

9. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Is that what happened to them? I wondered about that - I rather liked them, myself.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, it's going back a few years now, but when Bendis used thought balloons on his opening Mighty Avengers issues, it was noticed due to thought balloons not really having been in use for quite some time. No idea why it is though.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No.

Han Solo builds his SKY HOUSE.

12. AkshayTheJedi

AkshayTheJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2013
    It Ships today! well here in India it's already the 13th but yeah i really liked the first two so very excited about this one

13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Um...yeah....so Death Star 2

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Han's SKY HOUSE is Death Star 2?

Malachi108 likes this.
  15. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    My only problem with this issue. The fact that it has already been commisioned and is that far into production just seems...off to me.

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  16. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Ok, I was figuring that was kind of off. Even though I could care less about EU mistakes with this series. Just as comic reader even, and someone who has seen the films, I'd ask how come they've made so much progress now yet in 4 years it's still not complete? It's only a few months after ANH and they are this FAR into construction. Not to mention this far after it's already been mentioned that the Empire has money problems.

At this rate they could have massed produced the things.

Wedges being more of a skilled pilot as opposed to the rookie character in ANH, early appearance of Fett, early appearance of Executor and DH2, makes me see this series as being closer to the events of ESB than only a few months after ANH. Way it looks the new planet they are looking for will indeed end up being HOTH. I don't think Brian was told there was a 3 year gap between movies. He's writing as if it's there's only a year between movies, maybe. It's the only explaination I can think of. Looking at it that way does makes sense, and is acceptable if that's what he wants to do. Still he's gonna have fans on the war path.

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    They took 20+ years to build the first one not getting far with the Second One in 4 years seems reasonable and we know from other places that the Emperor was already having the Second One build before the first one was destroyed.

How so? They take forever to build.

6+ Months after Yavin as it is the first possible date with the Executor showing up.

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Once the Big Zam Death Star is mass produced, we will destroy the Federation Rebels in no time!

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I read it, and so far, so good.

What I like:
    .) Suspense. Who's the traitor?
    .) All these little insights what is going on in the heads of the protagonist
    .) Nice art

Dislike:
    .) Little humor
    .) Not very strong on plot

20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    According to he wiki Palpatine ordered it during the Battle of Yavin. If that's the case they are near half way done 6 months after Yavin, if that's even the case month wise. Seems to me at that rate, even with Imperial money problems, they could have been done way before ROTJ. Look at the spread, that's a lot of work in only a few months.

Which lead to me jokingly saying that they could have mass produced the things at the rate they were going so soon after ANH.

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    At the very moment of the battle? o_O Tale of the Hammertong points at it already being under construction before that.

They are not even halfway done by the Battle of Endor ;) they had just patched enough of it together to have the Superlaser and even that seems to have been just in time for the trap.

As we don't know how early they had already begun with and seeing how they did not get all that far by ROTJ I really would not call it mass produce, also stuff like building the Death Star, or lets better say 3 of them in parallel along with stuff like 3 Super Laser Super Star Destroyer test beds, is among other things the reason for the money problems ;)

22. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    my thoughts on this issue:

WHAT... Endor... Sanctuary Moon... thought it was Sanctuariums Moon.. well..

Death Star 2 already THAT far in construction? That definitely is news.. we knew it was already started but that looks close to finished!

But in fact I believe this is the Star Tours Death Star.. cause around the equator it looks even more finished than ROTJ DS2 had been..

2 people cockpitcuddling... someone fake this into Jaina and whoever please :D

LUKE GOT A NEW GIRLFRIEND pre-Shira... and makes his sister jealous... WOW...did he just have cockpit sex in hyperspace?

AWESOME Leia.. I like her jealous and angry... she'd be a great darksider... but she has power where it counts ;) definitely the Choosen One's daugher

and WHO is that cute Imperial... tell me please it is Fel... if not Fel is it.. Steele? pleaaase

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    There is a whole list of those ;)

Don't think so.

The one with the Red Amour? o_O

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What happens in the cockpit stays in the cockpit.

Oh my, yes. Give us darkside Leia already.

25. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    No @#$% they aren't halfway done ROTJ. Have you even read the comic yet? Maybe a good visual will tell they've made some great progress in so little time.