main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Pope watch MMXIII

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Feb 11, 2013.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, all the Cardinals are basically the same on the social issues. I wasn't expecting a break on that yet (though Francis could surprise us). And the Catholic Church isn't anti-gay in the same way other churches are.

What matters is the Emphasis. It seems like Pope Francis will focus more on the good news going on, what unifies people, and on helping the poor. And that would be very good.

And we may see some social change, I think many are now open to the idea of having married priests again.

Exactly.

Though I hope he has a good 10 healthy years... and if he does get too sick, now he can just retire.

I was really starting to like the idea of O'Malley, though, since he's a neighbor and my mom has even met him and is friends with his niece. Oh well, maybe next time.

yankee8255 likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    If it helps, my mind keeps looking at "Bergoglio" and replacing it "goglio" with "gigolo"

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So, which fictional character does he look like the most? :p

EDIT:

Apparently, as Bishop, he's supported the use of contraception to stop the spread of diseases.

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
  6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm having a good feeling about this. He seems sympathetic, humble, but there's clearly depth to his character. I like that he has a sense of humour. As for his age, he looks pretty young for a 76-year-old - certainly younger and more vigorous than Benedict XVI. when he took the office. And I like what I'm reading about him - that he wasn't fond of the pomp that goes with a bishop's office, he would use public transport rather than a private car with a chauffeur, cook his own meals... Together with his choice of the name Francis it could signify a good change for the Church. I'm hopeful. And of course I wish him all the best, strong health and God's blessing, and I'll keep him in my prayers.

Everton and Summer Dreamer like this.
  8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The pope's like the last emperor of China. Corrupt eunuchs run the whole show behind the scenes and cart off the riches of the treasury while the rest of the religion burns in the background. Just the kind of challenge for a tired old man.

V-2 likes this.
  9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

[​IMG]

10. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Idk about you guys but now I have Los Fabulosos Cadillacs' music stuck in my head.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Huh?

12. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    You are aware that the Catholic Church is actually rather liberal, compared to your average Calvinist fundagelical setup, right?

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah Guy, they're not anti-gay, they're just anti-sex before marriage.

While also conveniently being opposed to gay marriage.

14. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    We're anti-sex that wouldn't normally have the biological capability of producing a human being as a consequence. Hence, we're anti-oral sex and anal sex and manual sex. We're also anti-condom for that reason as well. We're against hormonal contraceptives and sterilization on the grounds that it's attempting harm to an otherwise normally functioning human body, with the added insult of being intended to prevent the existence of new people.

Hence, it's not really homosexual sex that we oppose in particular (and it's especially not homosexuals that we oppose). It's sex that doesn't have the capability of creating life that we oppose.

I like to joke with people that the only reason I'm against homosexual sex is because I'm against pre-marital sex, and then I proceed to use that as an argument as to why gay marriage should be legal.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Convenient.

anakinfansince1983 and V-2 like this.
  16. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, it's just homosexual sex they oppose as sinful. For the same reason masturbation, condoms, non-missionary-style sex, etc. are sinful.

John Paul, Benedict, Mother Theresa, and the official teachings of the Catholic Church, have all come out strongly against any discrimination against gay people and called for loving respect of them like everyone else, and said that homosexuality is not a choice and not a sin.

It's not the ideal position, but it's a moderate position, compared to where some Protestant churches are.

But once/if they ditch the "all sex must always be open to life" doctrine, then all of those things would no longer be considered sins. It probably won't happen for a while though. But I bet we can see married priests within 20 years, and women priests within 50, and with a more diverse college of cardinals who actually have some more real-life knowledge about sex then they'll be more likely to repeal this doctrine.

18. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I did indeed go through some RCIA courses in my teen years, and the Priest made a big deal that they oppose homosexual acts while viewing homosexual desires as involuntary. So...that is at least somewhat progressive.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  19. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Patently untrue.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, you know what I mean

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, I mean, non-traditional vaginal sex is explicitly condoned in the Bible.

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Jesus was awesome.

23. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    In what way?

24. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Mar17swgirl likes this.
  25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I was responding to the Bible quote Ramza posted.