main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #3: In the Shadow of Yavin, part 3 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    How did they know to correct the exhaust port then?

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The same way they added 2 more main generators and made it bigger, they revised the design; the first one apparently underwent various rebuildings as well.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's pretty clearly Col. Bircher from the past two issues.

As far as the Death Star goes, we don't know how close it was to completion by its destruction. Maybe by that time, the superlaser was just completed, but the whole thing was still years away from being 100% complete. There's also the possibility that construction began before Yavin, with the plan to have two or more Death Stars at once.

Gorefiend likes this.
  5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I wouldn't put too much stock in the speed it takes to put up the shell of a building. The exterior walls are often one of the quickest parts; it's the initial foundations and the internal fittings that take the most time.

That's why, if you watch a building built, it's really slow at first... then BAM, it goes up before you know it... then it's really slow again and you're wondering why the hell they're taking so long as you thought it was going quickly.

So we don't have any idea what's going on inside that image, and given the Rebellion is about to really kick off, the Empire is going to have to pull resources away from construction to the war effort, so chances are that subsequently slowed things down too.

Gorefiend likes this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, I've experienced this first hand for the past few years with the new World Trade Center in NY.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That image - which Gorefiend supplied the link above to in its full potentially continuity-shattering glory - is quite, quite excellent for anyone with any affiliation with the Fleet Junkies!

(Continuity? Stuff continity! :) )

8. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I see no problem with continuity here. Endor took place 4 years after Yavin if I'm not mistaken and the DS II was looking pretty good - compare to the DS I on which construction began something like 18 years before Yavin. If the first DS took ages to build then I don't see why the second needs to be built super fast. The Emperor wanting two Death Stars isn't that weird actually (though both DS I + II and the Galaxy Gun flying in formation would present a stupid image).

That said I still can't figure out when this fits in the timeline when compared with Empire and Rebellion.

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Since it worked last time, any shots of the Rebel Fleet? :p

--Adm. Nick

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    DS2 was also supposed to be twice the size and several orders of magnitude beyond its predecessor too.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You might have to manage with the Imperial Fleet Nick! :) 'tis a cool image though!

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [face_rofl]

I would say what I think the combined superweapon's name would be, but I don't think that would fall within this board's acceptance. :p

themetresgained and Malachi108 like this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    [quote="Darth_Garak, post: 50544604, member: 1207973" (though both DS I + II and the Galaxy Gun flying in formation would present a stupid image)..[/quote]

Could be worse, see one of the Death Star's superlasers could retract and form a circular.... Well, let's not go there, on second thoughts!

Zorrixor likes this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Nick it's basically the same shot as last issue, but from the rear this time.

15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Thanks Todd. Same mix of ships as well?

--Adm. Nick

16. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Yep. Home One, Redemption, and those other random transports.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nick, there's a link to the image in post #51, unless there's more than one in the issue. Take a look, think you'll like it.

EDIT: Oh, you meant Rebel fleet. Ooops.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

Gorefiend and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  19. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Perspective looks kinda wonky there...

Also, I'll assume that the Death Star II is just a facade at this point---it only looks half-complete because we're looking at the front. :p

20. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Yeah, you get various angles of that fleet shot three or four times.

Still loving the art, though Vader looks a little weird. Then again, he tends to from time to time.

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    My theory: it's basically contact-lens-shaped at this point. Anyway, I was only bothered by it for a second because I got distracted by OMG BAD ASS LEIA.

Rogue_Follower, Cad Bane and MistrX like this.
  22. Cad Bane

Cad Bane Jedi Knight

Mar 10, 2013
    Loved this issue. I could talk about the badassery of Leia or the Death Star 2 or other things. But I'll instead bring this up:

[​IMG]

Am I the only one who hilariously thought for a moment that Wedge looked a bit jealous there? Wedge don't share, baby. Don't go horning in on his territory.

Barriss_Coffee and MistrX like this.
  23. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Amen to that. Are we still only supposed to be at two months after Yavin again? And yet we have Vader not leading the Imperial fleet, on board the Executor at Endor? This doesn't fit with anything, except maybe Scoundrel's Luck. :p Has Yavin been evacuated? I'm so confused...

TC

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't mind the DS2 looking that finished since it could be mostly external work so far- but the perspective on the super laser dish looks rather bad to me.

The highlighted part should be our view of the dish, but the drawing keeps the lines going to be almost a full circle, making the dish look huge and off center (ha! There's your answer. They spent four years moving the dish to the right spot after someone messed up the alignment ;) ). I think there might be done guidelines to the art that accidentally hit inked or something.

Other than that, it was a lovely double splash page.

As for the Ex's presence... Could this be a different SSD perhaps

Also, the previous issue's addressing of my TIE Interceptor concerns from the first issue are once again turned in their side because it seems they weren't prototypes for Squints but rather prototypes for an advanced version of the should-still-be-brand-spanking-new-Squints. These have hyper drives, shields and torps and can match an X-Wing (isn't that what Defenders are meant to be? Even if its too early for them here...)

25. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I'm not sure I understand the problem; doesn't it just have to be six months after Yavin? That seems doable. Admiral Griff is dead and we're in a weird period where Vader is off-ship. I'm not uber-familiar with where Vader was at all times, but it doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal.

Also, I don't see why Vader couldn't fly his flag from any ISD.

According to the Wook, six months post Yavin also puts us in the time frame when the Tie Interceptors were starting to fly.

Am I missing something obvious about the Executor and why it shouldn't be around?

It seems Bircher's presence on the Devastator would be more problematic than the Ex flying.