main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will this new Trilogy be a precursor to another Prequel?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Immortiss, Mar 10, 2013.

1. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Mind you, besides a few books and comics, I am no EU enthusiast. At least not entirely — thinking most of it as trash and not worth reading. The Thrawn Trilogy is the only one that "still" holds a place in my heart, mainly because it was the first big Star Wars Event after an eight year hiatus. The first Dark Empire miniseries was pretty good, but the last two series that continued the story didn't live up to expectations.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  2. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    How or why can you hope the upcoming trilogy is X-XII when we already know this is not the case?

That's why I say no.

3. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Dude, your right! They can just make Episodes 6.1, 6.2, and 6.3 although the shorter answer is No freaking chance!

4. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    How? Imagination. Why? Speculation Thread.

What do we know? They can say what they want. They can do what they want. Besides, what they do and what they should do are two different things. I like to talk about what's possible. What could be. What I would like to see them do. What they might be deliberating in their writers conferences...Lucas, Kasdan, Arndt and Kinberg

"Nothing is written." - Lawrence of Arabia. Also, Bob Iger mentioned this today on MSNBC.

"Closed your mind is, to the possible." - Me, imagining what Yoda would say in response to you.

It's fun!!!

5. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    @ Sean & Moth - The very fact that Lucas was entertaining the idea and willing to use 'Splinter of the Mind's Eye' as a sequel to the original Star Wars addresses and lends credence to the spirit of my main point.

6. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    O.K. However, Lucasfilm already did this exact thing once already. Disney, a much larger company can do this over and over and over...GL has mentioned 9 - 12 stories in original SW treatments. Disney bought all of it. They will make dozens of SW live action film.

If they are smart they would do something like I am suggesting. The reason why is plain and obvious. Episode VII is just a number. It has nothing to do with plot. There is no title. They called ROTJ, 'Blue Harvest' and 'Revenge of the Jedi'. Star Wars didn't even have a title until it was rereleased as A New Hope! Roman numerals are even less relevant. All I'm saying is an idea. A thought. No more.

What do you think they should do with the 30-40 years of untapped/excepting EU/potential back story in the Luke Skywalker time line? Surely, you would be a fool if you thought they would do nothing with it. I hope we're agreed on that?

The next question is what should they do or what would you do if you were making these decisions? I'm inviting you to share. I think they should do what I have suggested to the readers here. That's all.

The sarcasm is funny, though.

7. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Oh, ok. In that case, I dont believe they are making new Star Wars movies.

8. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Also, there is some precedent. This is how Lucas works...Trilogies. He's ambitious. Even though I didn't want to see Tatooine again in Episode I, that's where we ended up. I was like, hey, we were here in IV, VI and now I? Think of something else, man. But he tends to stick with familiarity. I wanted to say 'Reach out. Trust your feelings. Let go." He finally listened to the last bit and sold Lucasfilm.

9. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Fair enough.

10. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Alright, thanks for chatting. Would you like to see it played out the way I've proposed or would you rather see a them make VII, VIII, and IX? I guess they could always make X, XI, and XII as sequels to the ST. I guess we'll see if we live long enough.

11. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    It's part of Lucasfilms formula for successful product. It's Tradition in SW. It's what has worked in sales, business and marketing. Disney's hands off approach to new acquisitions. If it ain't broke,...

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You really are hellbent in keeping this thread alive in spite of the impossibility of your "speculation" having any basis in reality. One way to pad a postcount, I suppose. Good luck with your endeavor, here, sir.

13. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, then I hope you have a back-up profession, because either your production company would tank, or it would fire you. Deliberately giving out false official statements would nullify any future reason to believe any official word you give. There would be no point in the press speaking to you about productions, if your sincerity is under question. No press means very little marketing, which means you go, or the company goes.

Sean Sinclair and DarthBreezy like this.
  14. Khalil O.

Khalil O. Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    They can:

1. Use whatever EU is available as a basis for that time period.
    2. Not acknowledge that time period at all and start the new story further into the future.
    3. Retcon what has been written.

I think 3 is the most likely choice. Probably the majority of people that fell in love with the original trilogy have little to no interest in the expanded universe. Most of them are probably older and have fond memories of ANH, TESB, and RotJ. A lot of the expanded universe has been created to appeal to specific demographics - like the Dark Horse comic series for comic book readers, the Clone Wars series for children's television, or the myriad video games. What works well in a comic book, on TV, in a video game, or even in a novel doesn't always translate to the big screen well. The producers would want the movie to have the widest appeal possible; at the same time, though, they want to appeal to the fans. I think that the new movies will strike a nice balance between pleasing the Star Wars fanbase and appealing to the mainstream for three reasons:

- Disney owns Lucasfilm
    The movies that Marvel Studies has produced have all done a good job of mostly staying true to the comics, while at the same time adapting the films to have stories that everyone would want to see.
    - J.J. Abrams is directing
    The new Star Trek series has skillfully brought Star Trek to a new generation.
    - Michael Arndt is writing the screenplays
    Arndt is set to write the next Hunger Games screenplay (adapted from the book); if Toy Story 3 is anything to go by, then I'm sure the Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and the new Star Wars will turn out well. Toy Story 3 had several nominations for best adapted screenplay.

All of this being said, I don't think the new trilogy will be a prequel to VII-IX. It would leave too many people wondering: 'What happened to Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, etc. ?' It's already been announced that the original three stars will be in the next film; for them to be in the new episode X, they would have had to of lived through everything that happened in VII-IX. Unless Abrams only plans on showing their corpses, or presenting them through flashbacks, I seriously doubt that the new series will be the sequel to a new prequel.

Besides, many people were already let down with the last Star Wars prequel. I doubt they would make the same mistake twice.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  15. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    I am simply saying that the new trilogy will be 7 - 9 not 10-12.......yet anyways. They can always make a "tie in" trilogy with new actors but they won't be called Episodes. Maybe some of us misunderstood your wording of the new trilogy being 10, 11, and 12 when we all know it is Episode 7. Either way, the more Star Wars films, the better!

16. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Common sense says the gap between RotJ and old man Luke in EPVII will be animated. They want the old cast because they played the characters in the first place. Absolutely no sense in doing a trilogy with the older actors then going back and recasting. It would appear like this;

OT - Han = HF, Luke = MH, Leia = CF
    Prequel to the ST - Han = somebody new, Luke = somebody new, Leia = somebody new
    ST - Han = HF, Luke = MH, Leia = CF

Don't you see the disparity? It's silly and nonsensical.

If Disney were to do this they'd be better off rebooting the entire thing, and I can't see that working at this current time.

Animate the gap IF they want to show what's in the gap. Or leave it to the books.

BountyHunter76 and Sean Sinclair like this.
  17. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I think most people have had their fill of prequels for now :) We want sequels! Also, I don't see any point in creating film versions of stories we have already seen or read in games or books.

18. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes! I would like to see 6 sequels.

19. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    You're right. I thought of that, too. I also agree with a possible animated for the in between. But I still think it would work, because the original actors are getting old and the recast films would be newer. But who knows what they will be able to do with technology in a few years. In the future animation and sound might be able to duplicate an actors image on screen to a tee.

20. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013

21. Khalil O.

Khalil O. Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    I actually mispoke; when I said "I don't think the new trilogy will be a prequel to VII-IX", I should have said "sequel" (lol, it's a prequel sequel :p) . But, like I mentioned in the post, if the original cast members are in a sequel to a new prequel, they'll probably be pretty old. But, it could happen. You could be right.

22. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Are you telling me, as a SW fan, that if the film was officially released and 'Episode X' crawled up the screen, you wouldn't freak out? You would be disappointed? Disappointed to know that there would still be 5 more films in the line? EVERYONE would be asking, what was that all about?

As a fan I think it would be interesting for the new story, that not only would have the OT to refer to, but other references to yet unseen episodes, that gave these new films a familiarity and similarity in tone and structure to the OT.

One of the major problems of the PT is that you knew what was going to happen, namely, that Anakin Skywalker was going to become Darth Vader. I want to be surprised again. For example, learning that Darth Vader was Luke's father.

As far as "false, official statements", we're not talking about not making a Star Wars film...We said we were making SW and instead decided to make something entirely different. We're talking about Episode numbers, nothing more. I think if anything, if the film were good, it would be a very interesting way forward. IMO.

23. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

Add "Crystal Skull" to that list, too.

24. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I just joined Sunday. I noticed that you did so, Saturday. Welcome. I'm so geeked about the new films!

25. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Thanks, Man! I assure you I have no interest in padding or any such thing. I'm just looking for feedback on my thoughts and to find out what others think about SW.