main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If you were to create your own Star Wars action figure line...

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Jordan1Kenobi , Mar 12, 2013.

1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    If you were to create your own Star Wars action figure line, what would it be? Would you use existing lines, such as Galactic Heroes, the Vintage Collection or The Clone Wars figure collection, but use completely new characters, or would it be something completely new?

I'd either relaunch the Galactic Heroes line or continue with TCW figure collection. I'd focus on creating two packs for every episode from season five of TCW first, and then work my way back to season one, as the newer series figures are bound to do better if they're released just after the season has finished.

I'd have two packs per episode, so either 40 or 44 packs per season, I know that's a lot, but this is just what I would do. Plus I'd have to consider pricing, galactic heroes are about $8 for a two pack and TCW figures are about $15 each, so two would be about $25, so I'd say Galactic Heroes, or something with a similar style, maybe a little bit more realistic looking, would be the best option to go with.

My ideas: (May contain spoilers for those of you who haven't seen season five of The Clone Wars yet, but I've tried to keep it spoiler free)

Season 5

Revival
    • Darth Maul (First metal legs) & Obi-Wan Kenobi (Two lightsabers)
    • Savage Opress & Adi Gallia
    A War on Two Fronts
    • Lux Bonteri & Steela Gerrera
    • Captain Rex (Normal gear) & Battle Droid
    Front Runners
    • Saw Gerrera & Commando Droid
    • Dono & Command Battle Droid
    The Soft War
    • King Sanjay Rash & Kalani
    • Okalin & MagnaGuard
    Tipping Points
    • Anakin Skywalker, Hondo Ohnaka (With rocket launcher) & Pilf Mukmuk
    • King Ramsis Dendup & General Tandin
    The Gathering
    • Yoda & Petro
    • Katooni & Gungi
    A Test of Strength
    • Zatt & Huyang
    • Byph & Ganodi
    Bound for Rescue
    • Preigo & Gwarm
    • Commander Cody & Super Battle Droid
    A Necessary Bond
    • Hondo Ohnaka (With sword) & Count Dooku (Hologram)
    • Ahsoka Tano & General Grievous
    Secret Weapons
    • Meebur Gascon, M5-BZ & Aut-O
    • Gubacher & Commander Neyo
    A Sunny Day in the Void
    • WAC-47 & QT-KT
    • U9-C4 & Abafar Bird
    Missing in Action
    • Clone Commando Gregor & Borkus
    • R2-D2 & Droideka
    Point of No Return
    • BNI-393, PLNK Power Droid & Buzz Droid
    • WED-15 Treadwell Droid, GNK Power Droid & MSE-6 Droid
    Eminence
    • Sugi, Embo & Marrok
    • Ziton Moj & Lom Pyke
    Shades of Reason
    • Darth Maul (Second metal legs) & Pre Vizsla
    • Savage Opress (Metal arm) & Bo-Katan
    The Lawless
    • Darth Sidious (Two lightsabers) & Madalorian Super Commando
    • Obi-Wan Kenobi (Red armour) & Duchess Satine Kryze
    Sabotage
    • Russo-ISC & Letta Turmond
    • Cin Drallig & Jedi Temple Guard
    The Jedi Who Knew Too Much
    • Ahsoka Tano & Captain Rex
    • Commander Fox & Clone Shock Trooper
    To Catch a Jedi
    • Plo Koon & Mace Windu
    • Asajj Ventress (Masked) & Commander Wolffe
    The Wrong Jedi
    • Anakin Skywalker (Two lightsabers) & Barriss Offee (Two lightsabers)
    • Padme Amidala & Captain Tarkin

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    First of all, I think you deserve a big 'ol =D= for all that work! I'm sure there are a lot of CW and GH fans/collectors who would love such a line(s).

Oddly enough, Hasbro is actually going to do something I've been pushing for years now; a 6" line. I know there are collectors who don't like the idea, though. Some feel it threatens the 3 3/4" line, others feel it forces them to "Start over", and of course there's the higher price point.

I'm definitely not crazy about the price, and the initial character offerings leave a bit to be desired (Another Sandtrooper!? Do the Sandtroopers have naughty photos of Hasbro's CEO or something?), but the sculpts look great, and if it's a success we'll eventually all see more of the characters/outfits we want.

In a perfect world I'd lower that price about $5 to $14.99 (If that $19.99 price I saw was correct), and this "Black collection" packaging is about as attractive as a box of matches. I'd like to see them get traditional cardbacks and card art ala the Marvel Legends line they're so closely related to. I'd also shuffle the line-up of that initial wave, and bump the characters from 4 to 6 (I know they don't want to put that many per wave @ $20 a pop, but 6 is more plausible for collectors if the price is lower).

Obviously vehicles, creatures and playsets aren't really possible in this scale, but that's okay with me.

Jordan1Kenobi and J_Girl like this.
  3. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Jordan1Kenobi That is an impressive list! Most impressive! ^:)^ It's good to know what you want in life. Saves a lot of time. Hopefully, at least some of that list will be eality someday.

JUKE-SKYWALKER I agree about the packaging for the "Black Collection". It's not that great. I'm thinking they are specifically aiming the 6" figures at collectors more than kids who intend to open and play with them, especially since not too many parents are going to pop for figures in that price range just for kids to beat them up. Hasbro has to know that, so I'm left wondering why they didn't pay more attention to the packaging. They are aware that may collectors display MIP, so why do they seem to be going backwards on this line? Oh, and as much as I love a good Sandtrooper, I could do without it on this line. Maybe they like to keep harkening back to the 1978 early bird line?

4. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    That's a really good point, J_Girl. You'd think they would want something a bit more eye-catching than a matte black window box purely as a sales tool if nothing else. The fact that some collectors, who this line is supposed to appeal to, like to keep their stuff MOC/MIP is another reason to do something a bit more fancy.

J_Girl likes this.
  5. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    The boxes look A LOT like many of the packages that Japanese higher-end collectibles come in. All of Gentle Giant's mini-busts (and I assume statues) have black packaging, Kotos come mostly in black boxes, and Medicom RAH 12" figures are in sleek black packages.

Other forums I lurk at the black packaging is getting high marks for looking more adult. I'm guessing the "black" packaging came about because Gentle Giant helped w/ the sculpting and coming up w/ ideas for this line.

Hasbro designed the black line to be different to appeal to adult collectors. Kids will go "meh" at boring black packaging and hopefully (at least to Hasbro) will veer towards the cheaper, less articulated figures.

My figure line? Mine would be a super-high end of 12" female Star Wars dolls - with rooted hair and designed by artists who know how to make girl dolls (I'm looking at you Mattel or Jakks Pacific - or even better Robert Tonner.) Mind you, they don't need to just be Padme (and Leia) wearing dresses - although they'd be top choices ;) - I'd love 12" Beru dolls (PT/OT), Shmi, all of the lady Jedis, a beautiful Zam Wessell, go into the EU and do variations of Jaina Solo, Mara Jade, Older Leia, Guri, and Tenel Ka. I love my customs, but come on - the GFFA has many awesome ladies who need to be celebrated and not only those in sexy costumes!

6. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    You're right, it is very reminiscent of that packaging and I can see GG's influence there for sure. I guess they're trying to give it the patina of a high end collectible, and I totally get that. I just personally would've preferred something closer to, say, the old Unleashed figure cardbacks if any of you remember those.

I'm actually really surprised this hasn't been done already.

J_Girl likes this.
  7. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I do remember those - they were awesome. I do think this line will end up replacing them, or at least compliment them. I like that they don't plan on swamping us w/ figures also and really put their time into the batches that they release so maybe collectors will be able to actually get all of them.

*Snort* Yeah, right. Don't you know STAR WARS is only for boys. Girls might only like the show in passing...

Granted there ARE girls like Traknar & LAJ who obsess over the bounty hunters, but a lot of female fans out there want dolls of some sort. I wrote a big article over the lack of collectibles specifically aimed at females on my blog - routinely it gets a ton of hits each day which only further proves that I'm not alone in wanting these.

Why haven't they been done? Read the article ;)

JUKE-SKYWALKER and J_Girl like this.
  8. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey, I loves me some bounty hunters, too! :D That said, I agree that the powers that be still think that SW is for boys. Of course, we do now have a woman in charge and the House of Mouse as well that knows their young female audiences. Maybe, just maybe they will get the hint. I was watching Big Bang the other night and the female PhD's were all about dressing up as Disney princesses. They were fighting over being Cinderella. I just kept waiting for one to want to be Princess Leia.

JUKE-SKYWALKER You're right! Those Unleashed figure cardbacks were awesome! Now that is what I am talkin' about!

JUKE-SKYWALKER likes this.
  9. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Great article =D=! That was extremely educational on a subject I hadn't really given much thought to. Don't give up hope just yet. Ashley Eckstein (The voice of Ahsoka from Clone Wars... but you probably knew that alerady :p) has declared this "The year of the Fangirl". She's definitely shining a spotlight on female fandom. Granted so far it's mostly been on fashion, but the results have been pretty spectacular from what I've read, and dollar signs open minds (I just made that up).

I agree %100. At $20 a pop I don't want six figures on pegs at any given time. That would be overwhelming for most collectors, resulting in tough choices, leading to pegwarmers and ultimately months of seeing the same two or three figures clogging pegs while fresh waves sit in the store's back room or on a dock somewhere in Hasbroland.

10. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    My SW action figure line would be an 8-9 inch Mego-like retro action figure line. Figures that tall with removable cloth clothing and accessories. I don't know what the first assortment would consist of, but Darth Vader and Boba Fett would be must-dos.

JUKE-SKYWALKER likes this.
  11. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    My SW action figure line would be the normal 3.75inch figures. It would be a line with TCW animated figures and Movies realistic figures.
    This line will contain single figure, battle packs and ships. All the figure would be super articulated and in fabric !
    The carback would be white with Star Wars written in gold. Each year there would be a character on it ( Anakin TCW, Obi-Wan ROTS, Darth Vader ROTJ, Luke Skywalker ANH ... )
    It would be something like that :
    Single Card Figure :
    - Wave 1 : War on Onderon
    Lux Bonteri ( TCW )
    Saw Guerrera ( TCW )
    Steela Guerrera ( TCW )
    General Tandin ( TCW )
    General Kalani ( TCW )
    - Wave 2 : Revenge Of The Sith
    Coleman Kcaj ( movies )
    Cin Dralling ( movies )
    Anakin Skywalker ( gear after a had the nightmare in the night ) ( movies )
    Padmé Amidala ( senate outfit ) ( movies )
    41st Kashyyk Clone Trooper ( movies )
    - Wave 4 : Mandalore
    Satine Kryze ( The Lawless gear when Obi-Wan came to rescue her ) ( TCW )
    Obi-Wan ( Mandalorian armor ) ( TCW )
    Mandalore Police Officer ( TCW )
    Darth Maul ( TCW )
    Savage Opress ( TCW )
    Ziton Moj ( TCW )
    - Wave 5 : Return Of The Jedi
    Mon Mothma ( movies )
    Admiral Piett ( movies )
    Imperial Officer ( Black gear ) ( movies )
    General Crix Madine ( movies )
    Obi-Wan Kenobi Spirit ( movies )
    - Wave 6 : Clone Troopers
    Gregor ( commando gear ) ( TCW )
    Jesse phase II ( TCW )
    Appo phase II ( TCW )
    Hardcase phase II ( TCW )
    Fives ARC Trooper phase II ( TCW )
    - Wave 7 : A New Hope
    General Jan Dodonna ( movies )
    Moradmin Bast ( movies )
    Han Solo ( movies )
    Jon Vander ( movies )
    Admiral Motti ( movies )
    - Wave 8 : Separatists
    Admiral Trench ( TCW )
    Riff Tamson ( TCW )
    General Lok Durd ( TCW )
    Captain Mar Tuuk ( TCW )
    - Wave 9 : Senate and Senators
    Chancellor Palpatine ( movies )
    Bail Organa ( movies )
    Sly Moore ( movies )
    Sweitt Concorkill ( movies )
    Malé-Dee ( movies )
    - Wave 10 : Jedi Warriors
    Tera Sinube ( TCW )
    Adi Gallia ( TCW )
    Jedi Temple Guards ( TCW )
    Cin Drallig ( TCW )
    Ima-Gun Di ( TCW )

Battle Packs :
    - 501st Trooper ( 4 x 501st Clone Trooper Phase II ) ( TCW )
    - 212th Trooper ( 4 x 212th Clone Trooper Phase II ) ( TCW )
    - Onderon Rebel ( 4 x Onderon Rebels ) ( TCW )
    - Onderon Royal Guard ( 4 x Onderon Royal Guards ) ( TCW )
    - Rebel Trooper I ( 4 x Rebel Trooper ( Tantive IV ) ) ( movies )
    - Rebel Trooper II ( 4 x Rebel Trooper ( Hoth ) ) ( movies )
    - Rebel Trooper III ( 4 x Rebel Trooper ( Endor ) ) ( movies )
    - Stormtrooper ( 4 x Stormtrooper ) ( movies )
    - Mandalorian Guards ( 4 x Mandalorian Royal Guards ) ( TCW )
    - Shadow Collective I ( 4 x Night Owls ) ( TCW )
    - Shadow Collective II ( 4 x Death Watch Troopers ) ( TCW )
    - Shadow Collective III ( 4 x Night Owls ) ( TCW )
    - Shadow Collective IV ( 4 x Super Mandalorian Commandos ) ( TCW )
    - Shadow Collective V ( Almec, Pre Vizsla, Bo-Katan, Night Owls removable helmet ) ( TCW )
    - Shadow Collective VI ( 3 x Pyke Warriors, Lom Pyke) ( TCW )
    - Shadow Collective VII ( 4 x Black Sun Warriors ) ( TCW )

Ultimate Battle Packs :
    - Jedi Younglings ( Petro, Zatt, Katooni, Byph, Gungi, Ahsoka Tano, R2-D2, Huyang ) ( TCW )
    - D-Squad ( Colonel Meeber Gascon, WAC-47, R2-D2, U9-C4, QT-KT, M5-BZ ) ( TCW )
    - Battle of Onderon ( King Ramsis Dendup, Ruping, Onderon Royal Guard, 2 x Commando Droids, Hondo Ohnaka ) ( TCW )
    - Battle Of Umabara ( General Krell, Dogma, Tup, Kix, Rex, 3 x Umbara Warriors ) ( TCW )
    - Ahsoka's Showdown ( Ahsoka Tano, Asajj Ventress, Anakin Skywalker, Commander Fox, Admiral Tarkin, Padmé Amidala, 2 x Tooka, Letta Turmond, Russo-ISC ) ( TCW )
    - Battle of Hoth ( Darth Vader, Admiral Veers, Han Solo, Leia, Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, General Carlist Rieekan ) ( movies )
    - Battle of Geonosis ( commander center w/ Yoda, clone commander, clone captain, clone trooper ) ( movies )
    - Battle of Kashyyk ( Tarful, Chewbacca, Yoda, Commander Gree, 2 x Wookiee Warriors, 2 x Battle Droids ) ( movies )

Vehicles and Creatures :
    - Wave 1 :
    Z-95 Starfighter ( TCW )
    Y-wing Red ( TCW )
    - Wave 2 :
    A-Wing ( movies )
    Y-wing ( movies )
    - Wave 3 :
    Oevvaor jet catamaran ( movies )
    Ruping w/ Onderon Royal Guard ( TCW )
    Dalgo w/ Onderon Rebel ( TCW )
    - Wave 4 :
    Wampa w/ Luke Skywalker ( movies )
    Bantha w/ Tusken Raider ( movies )
    Republic Police Gunship ( TCW )

Big Vehicles :
    - Twilight w/ Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano ( TCW )
    - Rebel Transport w/ 2 Hoth Rebel Troopers ( movies )
    - Republic Frigate w/ 2 clone pilots phase II ( TCW )
    - Jabba Sail Barge w/ Jabba The Hutt ( movies )
    - Tantive IV w/ Captain Antilles and Leia Organa ( movies )

12. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Life size models!

13. Ani501st

Mar 18, 2013
    Yeah impressive list, requires time to write it ! ^:)^

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Here's some more of my ideas for The Clone Wars figures, but this time it's for the 3.75 basic figures. I've done a wave for each season and then some box sets. I just chose the characters that I would like to get that haven't been made yet, except for a couple that should be remade with different features.

Wave 1 - Season 1

Nute Gunray
    Commander Fil
    EV-A4-D
    Wat Tambor

Wave 2 - Season 2

Poggle the Lesser
    Adi Gallia
    Tera Sinube
    Admiral Trench
    Sugi

Wave 3 - Season 3

Ima-Gun Di
    Captain Keeli
    Duchess Satine Kryze
    ARC Trooper Fives
    Garnac
    Tarfful

Wave 4 - Season 4

Captain Ackbar
    Prince Lee-Char
    Riff Tamson
    K0-5D
    General Tarpals
    Pong Krell

Wave 5 - Season 4

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Rako Hardeen)
    Onca
    Mantu
    Derrown
    Lattz Razzi
    Dengar

Wave 6 - Season 5

General Kalani
    Huyang
    WAC-47 and Colonel Meebur Gascon
    Commander Neyo
    M5-BZ
    Clone Commando Gregor

Wave 7 - Season 5

Ziton Moj
    Lom Pyke
    Russo-ISC
    Jedi Temple Guard
    Coleman Kcaj
    Barriss Offee (Two red lightsabers)

Battle Packs

Mortis - Father, Son and Daughter
    Younglings - Zatt, Gungi and Byph
    D-Squad - QT-KT, U9-C4 and BNI-393
    Mandalore - Darth Maul, Pre Vizsla and Darth Sidious (Two lightsabers)
    Mandalore - Obi-Wan Kenobi (Red Mandalorian Armour), Bo-Katan and Mandalorian Super Commando

Exclusive Battle Packs

Season 6 Preview - Admiral Trench (Cyborg), Green Female Jedi and Pink Female Jedi

JUKE-SKYWALKER, J_Girl and Ani501st like this.
  15. Ani501st

Mar 18, 2013
    Very interesting list !

16. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Another well thought out and serious list. Wow!

17. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    No doubt! You've put some serious thought into this (Certainly more than Hasbro has of late ;)). Very impressive.

18. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    This guy knows his clone wars characters

19. youngorst

youngorst Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2015
    I would like to see a simple line of 3.75 inch figures at a 5.99 or lower price point. In the spirit of the vintage figures. Simple figures that aren't re-sculpted or re-packaged every year.

Basically reboot the entire line.

I love the figures but gave up collecting long ago, its just crazy when 50 figures or more are released over multiple different lines at $10 or more per figure.

Simplify the line (or simply create a lower end line), at 10 figures a quarter (40 per year) you'd easily be able to mix main characters with obscure characters without having to re-scuplt/re-package the line every year.

20. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    These lists are...I'm breathless. That's some serious knowledge. :)

I would just make sure that they portray my favourite character without censorship. Three releases over 31 years and three innacurate portrayals and I'm 100% sure that the 2012 figure was meant to be screen-accurate.

21. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I like the list Ani501st put out. Where are these other Jedi figures? Especially a figure like CIn Drallig would be great to have!