main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census DC vs. Marvel

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Mar 13, 2013.

?

Which is better: DC or Marvel?

1. DC

32 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Marvel

60 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. I can't pick

23 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    The DC cartoons are superior (in general) to the Marvel ones. But (obviously) the Marvel movies are better than the DC ones. That makes it a wash. But comic to comic comparison? **** DC!

2. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Marvel. Duh.

3. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers EMH > All (cept maybe B:TAS but Batman is overrated)

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    THIS ONE SET OF UNREALISTIC COMIC BOOK CHARACTERS IS BETTER THAN THIS OTHER SET OF UNREALISTIC COMIC BOOK CHARACTERS

5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Marvel, given that DC is having particularly bad case of "WE'RE TRYING TO BE EDGY" at the moment.

6. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    B:TAS is the best. I think Justice League was also better than Avengers EMH. I haven't seen Spectacular Spider-Man yet so I can't comment. Also, Young Justice is way up there in awesomeness.

7. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    I haven't had TV in about 3 years so I can't comment on anything post Teen Titans.

But comic wise being in the bookstore the other day, although that Batman flashpoint was interesting, I'm going to stay away from all comics.

8. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I can't stand the episodic nature of the earlier DC series. And I have yet to see a team series that's as satisfying to watch unfold as EMH was.

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    WTF Certified!

10. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    For clarification, do you mean the fact that it wasn't just one big story arc?

11. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Generally I dislike the nature of episodic TV (with a few exceptions of course). Stories that wrap in an episode or two. Very few long term consequences (if any). And yes I like ongoing story-lines.

I dislike that producers don't trust the attention span of children and limit their writers to single episodes or occasional two-parters. That evolved later on with later DC series but it's always bugged me about the earlier (though better written) DC series. On the other hand the Marvel series at the time, as poorly as they may have aged, had continuous arcs, character growth over the course of the series and a sense of consequence and repercussion. That's not to say they held a candle to B:TAS in terms of the writing for individual episodes (Dini was amazing) but even as a kid I found that greater sense of ongoing continuity far more appealing.

12. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    When I was a kid, Marvel brought me the most joy. I loved The Hulk, especially, Thing, and Silver Surfer. I still have a soft spot for the Bronze Age of Marvel comics, and characters such as Rocket Racer and Ace, if anyone remembers those.

I drew my own too. I posted a few similar things http://boards.theforce.net/threads/debos-attic.50008474/page-4#post-50353621]in[/url] this thread, but now, saved for posterity, here are: Panda Man, Owl-Men [sic], and, eh, Frogger, whose superpower seems to be masturbating with both hands.

[​IMG]

tom, eht13, soitscometothis and 3 others like this.
  13. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Spider-Fan: Fair enough. That's probably a fair criticism of some of the earlier DC cartoons--especially Superman: TAS, though I think that treatment of Superman is the best version brought to the screen yet. And I think that Justice League had a kind of continuity in the background similar to the new Doctor Who series does which worked really well for the show. Young Justice certainly certainly has strong character growth and story arc and is a super strong series.

14. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Admit it...you drew Frogger after playing Super Mario 3 didnt you? :p

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Unrealistic superheroes? What's next, space travel in sci-fi?

Ulicus , Juliet316, Debo and 5 others like this.
  16. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    Marvel. I grew up loving the X-Men. Since I started seeing my bf I've entertained his preference for DC. I like the Young Justice cartoon series.

Marvel obviously have the better movies.

17. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I was a fanatical Marvelite as a kid, despising DC and their ways (though I made exceptions for The New Teen-Titans, LoSH, and Firestorm - the only DC books I thought were any good); since then I've seen Marvel discard their principles and take up many of DC's tricks, which makes me sad.:(

However, I still think Marvel has more interesting characters than DC.

18. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    So what is your problem with The Goddam Batman?

I've no favorites really. Though the bulk of my comic buying experience was mostly Marvel (namely the Uncanny X-Muties and their ilk), I also partook on some DC, namely Sandman, Preacher and Batman. And Batman had always been my favorite character since I was a kid.

So both companies have very iconic characters and I've enjoyed their versions across different media. But, if I had to choose...then DC, because of the goddam Batman. :p

20. Amatsu Mikaboshi

Amatsu Mikaboshi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    The Preacher was the ****, rotten shame that they didn't continue it.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Anyone suggesting Superman isn't interesting hasn't read Peace on Earth.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  22. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I love both, but if I'm forced to choose I choose DC.

I've been a Superman fanboy as long as I can remember. He's so mythical, and there's so much you can do with him. You can concentrate on his alien side and have out-there sci-fi stories. You can emphasize the fact that he is an orphan and explore the lonliness that goes along with being the last of your kind, having never known your parents or even another member of your species. You can emphasize his humanity and the moral quality that the Kents fostered in him. He can be the ubermensch or everyman, he's my childhood hero, and I love him.

Also, Batman :)

And while a previous poster stated that you can't give DC credit for Vertigo, I disagree. No DC, no Vertigo, no Sandman (the greatest story ever told in comicbook form, IM-not-so-humble-O.

Love me some Marvel, but DC's in my blood.

MrZAP and Darth_Invidious like this.
  23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Or has read any other Superman comic. [face_dancing]

All-Star Superman excepted.

Souderwan and Ender_Sai like this.
  24. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I've loved things from both of course but I'm much more of a Marvel guy.

25. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    KINGDOM COME
    All-Star Superman
    Red Son
    Why Must There Be A Superman? [Superman #247]
    For the Man Who Has Everything [Superman Annual #11]

Just a few more off the top of my head.

I see that you snuck All-Star in, JoinTheSchwarz. There's plenty more out there.

MrZAP likes this.