main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Petition to Disney: Save The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Watto, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    She's still a kid/a minor.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I haven't read the last 39 pages, but I hate to be the bearer of bad news - petitions don't save shows - money does. Why did Fox bring back Family Guy from cancellation? DVD box set sales. If you want Disney to bring back the series, the only thing that will convince them is money.

I'm sorry if I come across as cross, but it's because of poor sales that Disney never finished releasing all the DVD box sets for great shows like Gargoyles and Ducktales.

So if you want to send Disney a message, go buy the "Star Wars The Clone Wars" on Blu-ray/DVD and tell your friends to do the same and when they go buy it, make sure they tell their friends and so on and so on and so on.

With that said, I don't think lack of sales was the reason Clone Wars was cancelled, but to make sure the focus is on the upcoming movies. So I think we're SOL.

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Urmm 16 is the legal age and she is 16

4. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    In the US, legal = 18. ;)

5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Argh I see. In the UK it's 16

07jonesj likes this.
  6. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Yeah, I understand, it varies a lot.

I'm sure Filoni would move to the UK with Ahsoka. :p

7. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    It would be good if someone could get an interview with George Lucas to get his thoughts on Disney cancelling the Clone Wars... a series he's spent a good chunk of years in his life building up, alongside his Animation group in the US and Singapore. The reason i'm curious is he has been seen lately to have no filter in interviews, hence confirming that the big three will be in Ep. 7 quickly followed by Iger saying it hasn't been "officially" confirmed. So I want his unfiltered take on his series being cut down, mainly to see if he blurts out how many episodes they actually plan on finishing, but also just getting his own personal take on it.

8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm looking forward to hearing from more on Filoni on this soon.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  9. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    *mentions Star Trek again*

10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Which then reminds people of what Jar Jar did to it and that he is now moved on to Starwars[face_shame_on_you]

11. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Star Trek famously got another season because of a letter-writing campaign...

12. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    TOS Trek did, but Firefly and Enterprise did not, despite VERY vocal and active petition/letter campaigns.

This is a bean-counter move, pure and simple. It won't change unless those said bean-counters are put back in Accounting where they belong to let creative people take back over...which means it's not likely to change at all any time soon.

13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Look, I do believe that the financial situation was a big reason into why the show was cancelled. Cartoons depend pretty heavily on action figure sales, and TCW figure line was not doing that well and was cancelled.

However, Disney probably wants a unified company line as far as products go. They want to shift focus away from the PT era (which, like the era or not, is not the 'popular' era with the general audience) and onto the OT and beyond. I don't think the bean counters are the ones who made this decision. I think it's the company on the whole, wanting to get rid of things they didn't do, and siphoning interest out of that area.

14. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    It was Hasbro's fault that the TCW figure line went into a downward spiral starting from around early 2012 so if the show was cancelled much because of the bad toy sales, the blame should be directed at them for messing it up.

And by now, I feel like I'm sort of ready to let TCW go after the remaining arcs; it's sad to see it go but we got five seasons and over 100 episodes and those are good numbers for a show like this.

15. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Every story though came from George Lucas. And I would bet he probably proof-read the scripts before the voices were recorded to see if the stories were acceptable to his vision.

QuangoFett likes this.
  16. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    And according to a recent interview, looks like GL is doing something similar with Episode VII:

http://www.businessweek.com/article...ught-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars#p5

17. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    The show and the toys were doing good enough just a few months ago that they were talking about 3 whole new seasons...I seriously doubt that sales and ad revenue/fees collapsed that badly in just a few months.

18. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's probably more to do with the cost of The Clone Wars as to why it was cancelled because there is no way they would be able to recuperate that money. If GL was still in charge of Lucasfilm we'd be getting another few seasons because it comes from his pocket and he can afford to not make it all back. They can no longer justify the expense of TCW without Lucas funding it.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Does anyone really know what the age of consent is on Courscant?

20. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Do we want to know?

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Leeland Chee might. Probably in the Holocron somewhere.

22. earlchinna

earlchinna Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2004
    just my 2 cents while the days are passing... as for the 2 main options we've been discussing regarding next show, I first thought as many that they would go for post-rotj to open the ST era.... but I now think a dark times one is way more probable, here is why:

- as they have shortened the plans for TCW, maybe that can involve certain compromise. I mean that in this case the bonus we'll be getting are to wrap up the main Clone Wars specific plots (Rex, order 66, rots transition, most likely Maul, perhaps Talzin etc..) and just give open directions for characters like Ahsoka, Ventress, Hondo, Bane, Boba etc...

That way they could maybe even produce already written arcs, just transpose them in this different era as those characters evolutions doesn't need to be tied to the clone wars. This way they have many characters models and v-o actors ready, ships locations design still usable as it's not far in the timeline, and as mentioned even scripts ready/adaptable... not to mention use underworld stuff that were planned for the live action series that seems less likely to happen (and I think that would be cool, especially as the underworld was fantastic in the last episodes)

In this case they could save some of their so dear money and time with the team more ready, for a quicker transition just to rebrand enough so they have their own star wars show they can pretend to have launched.

+ very important, they could have Vader as part of it (and poster boy) all over their marketing, which I think they would like... Chewie and such as well

- Regarding episode 7: lot more work + I guess they wanna keep some mystery for when the movie comes + doesn't count that much I guess but still, they have way more EU to screw up post-rotj than dark times, that would piss the precious -only OT- fans off they obviously want to seduce back.

(edit) oh, and also: Stephen Stanton posted on his Facebook page, pics saying "back in the clone wars studio" and mentioned in comments "for the pilot of a new show", he is with Nika Futterman on a pic. That doesn't mean done deal but sure seem like a dark times follow up, at least that makes sense.

if that turns up like this, well I would be satisfied as I really love TCW and its approach (hey I see way more bashing these past days, where have you been fellow fans of the show?) ....... of course I'm not yet ready to bet on this, because Disney hasn't really inspire me any trust since the acquisition

Time will tell :-B

Seerow, Circular_Logic and V-2 like this.
  23. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I promote buying DVD and blu-ray sets. However lets remember Disney did not promote Gargoyles, Ducktales and the other Disney afternoon releases one little bit which was a player in lack luster sales. This has been the story with Disney's attempts to release classic Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse (you get the picture) shorts and them subsequently giving animation nostalgia buffs the finger. Disney has a tough time playing the cards right with their own stuff which is one reason why they problem keep buy stuff like Pixar, Mavel, and LucasFilm.

24. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    At last, the Tarkin/Ventress buddy cop show we've been waiting for.

25. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I checked out Stephen's FB page, he explained in the comments that it is a separate pilot for a show totally unrelated to Clone Wars unfortunately. So no Tarkin/Ventress Chronicles for you... :p

I will make a prediction though, once they've sorted out which episodes they are going to finish, they will make some editorial changes to endings of these story arcs so as to resolve the characters arcs we are looking to see complete. They'll probably have to call the cast back for some dialogue changes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.