main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reworking of OT stops a remake

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth slaughter, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Darth slaughter

Darth slaughter Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 22, 2013
    Apart from a few bits (gredo shooting first and a few other bits) I do like the reworking of the OT. Not only because it just looks fresher and the special effects look more up to date, but mainly because I think they put a stop to any sort of remake of the OT. Not that fans would have allowed it really anyway, but the fact that they have been re-worked has really put the nail in the coffin for any complete remakes.
    Now a Star Wars holiday special would be good if made better this time ;)

2. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    First screenshot of the new holiday special leaked:
    [​IMG]

3. Luke C

Luke C Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2013
    Hey I Made a comedic remake of the escape POD scene from Lego. Also an insight into Irish culture. Mod edit: Language warning

Darth slaughter likes this.
  4. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Never thought about this before, but now that you bring it up, I have to agree. If the OOT had never gotten the revamps that it did (specifically the ones in the '97 SE films, which in general had the most changes), then, you're right, the movies would definitely not have held up in terms of effects & would have looked more and more dated as the years went by (especially ANH).

5. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I think some of the additions make the effects look WORSE. For example the Land Speeder going into Mos Eisley looks terrible and it's already been revamped twice. The Land Speeder is way off model in both revisions, and the people/droids in them have a rag-doll reaction to movement. The same problem plagues the Storm Troopers on Dewback. It looks terribly obviously fake.

Then you get the half-assed changes like the shockwave around the planet/death star explosions. It's obviously still a bunch of fireworks on a stick filmed from below but now there's a CGI shockwave. Either do a convincing planetary destruction or leave it alone, what's this half-step?

I'm all for the matte line cleanup and things like that, where they can take the original film elements and composite them digitally instead of optically... But other than that, I think Adywan has done way better working by himself than Lucasfilm has done with an army of digital artists.

There are tons of flaws, especially in ANH, that people have been analyzing for decades. Adywan is the only one to actually FIX them -- like seeing through Vader's lenses, Luke's lightsaber being white, light green, light blue, etc.

6. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Yeah. Too bad he also adds so much additional fx it makes the SE's look like a model of restraint.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Seeing through Vader's lenses? Care to post a picture showing this? Never noticed it myself...

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. janstett

May 29, 2004
    It happens a lot in ANH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's really bad when Vader and Tarkin are discussing Dantooine and/or blowing up Alderaan but I can't find a quick snapshot. I think when he says something about Leia's resistance to the mind probe.

Have a look at Adywan's list of changes, a few pages down on this link. It's amazing that so many have gone unnoticed by legions of Lucasfilm employees over 35 years and no less than 3 tweaks (1997, 2004, 2011):

http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/anhr-change-list/

9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I just don't know what to think of those Adywan edits - I love all the special effect enhancements he does, but I absolutely hate the fact that he removes the edits that Lucas has put in over the years. If only there was a way to get the best of both worlds...

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I actually like the see through lenses. It reminds you that, as vicious a monster that Vader is, he is still a man underneath. And that makes him more intimidating, at least to me.

Aaronaman likes this.
  11. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I have never actually watched a fan edit of any of the Star Wars films....a lot of the 'so-called' flaws have never bothered me and they never will. I even managed to sit through the new Jabba scene in ANH without bagging it hahaha

12. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    I don't think it's a coincidence that the people who hate on Adywan also prefer the PT over the OT.

Adywan is a genius. Disney needs to hire him if they want to re-release the OT.

13. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Anyone, given enough practice, can make some digital editing on a movie and make it look flashy. Adywan is given too much credit, though I do admit that he's quite skilled when it comes to reworking the effects.

14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    It's not coincidence. Adywan hates the PT & the SE-OT.

What he is genius in is fixing special effects. What he fails in is "fixing" the films themselves.
    I heard he's planning on butchering & emasculating the PTs into one movie. Plus doing ridiculous things like changing Mace Windu's purple lightsaber into green. (for what reason I have NO idea)

Andy Wylde, Death T and Seagoat like this.
  15. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013

Sounds like a good idea to me.

16. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    If people just sat down and watched the films for the story and adventure like they were always meant to do then no one would even notice these 'flaws'.
    Do I care if you can see through Vaders lenses, no of coarse not how else is he going to get around...no use being an evil Lord of the Sith if you keep walking into walls.

So many people now view the films more like crime scenes and feel they need to be picked apart and examined piece by piece....I'm not one of these 'types' and am better off for it.

Adywan (I actually don't know who that is) feels like he/she has to go through and 'fix' SW should take an afternoon to sit on the sofa, crack open a beer, sit back and watch the films and finally realise they weren't broken in the first place.

17. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Speaking of seeing through Vader's lenses, anyone notice Kenny's face through the circular lens on R2's dome(either on the Sandcrawler, or the droid auction, can't remember which).

Not a complaint though, I got a kick out of it. :)

18. janstett

May 29, 2004
    The films are cherished and watched over and over by its fans. Not to mention it is 35 years old and enjoyed by generations.

Perhaps your views would hold more water if Lucas himself didn't arbitrarily apply some changes/fixes/updates yet leave other glaring ones untouched. We get R2-D2 hidden behind rocks he couldn't possibly fit behind and Obi-Wan's scream tweaked yet again and turned into a laughable howl, yet other glaring problems go untouched or even worse botched (how many times has Luke's light saber been re-rotoscoped and they still don't have it right?)

And of course in the case of the lenses on Vader's helmet it was fixed in the Vader suit revamp of Empire and Jedi. There are actually numerous continuity errors between Vader's suit in ANH and the way it appears in Empire/Jedi -- the rough finish, see through lenses and non-blinking chest piece being the ones I always notice.

I'm one of those clamoring for GOUT -- the original untouched trilogy. I'd gladly accept Star Wars: ANH, warts and all, for what it was. But George insists/insisted on half measures and won't let the film rest in peace, so all bets are off.

Yunners and kubricklynch like this.