main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit star by star question

Discussion in 'Literature' started by exarkun20, Mar 12, 2013.

1. exarkun20

exarkun20 Jedi Padawan

Dec 30, 2012
    Hi, I need some help quickly. I just started reading star by star and Leia is in the hospital room recovering. However, she was okay during Edge of Victory. Was Star by Star written before the Greg Keyes duology? And if so, why was Keyes not informed of this beforehand. I am really confused.

I have only gotten 20 pages in so please no spoilers. thank you

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    If you are reading the paperback version, then that's actually the "Recovery" short story by Troy Denning. IIRC it's supposed to take place immediately after Balance Point, but for whatever reason (probably because both are Denning) it got shoved into SBS.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    What you're reading is Recovery, a short story originally available in ebook format. It takes place shortly after Balance Point and about concurrently with Edge of Victory. It introduces some characters that appear in Star By Star, hence its placement at the beginning of the book. Once you reach the end of Recovery, you'll notice the actual beginning of SBS. [face_peace]

4. exarkun20

exarkun20 Jedi Padawan

Dec 30, 2012
    Thank you so much. I can now start to enjoy the book!!

5. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Yeah Star by Star doesn't start until like page 80 or 90 i think

6. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Awesome book I've gotta give it another read.

7. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    The best book of the new Jedi order? I think so

my kind of scum likes this.
  8. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I just finished re-reading it today. Finished it on the train to work, started re-reading Rebel Dream on the train home. Skipped Dark Journey as it's one I've never overly enjoyed but I'll probably re-read the rest of the NJO. (I spend 4/5 hours travelling on trains to and from work every day so lots of time to read :p)

9. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    how is that even possible

edit: i thought you meant each way

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That, Traitor or The Unifying Force.

11. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    Gosh no! Each way would kill me lol! I have a two hour journey to work and then depending on what time I leave it's two or three hours to get home lol. Damned awkward train times.

SBS is probably my favourite but in the past when I've felt like randomly reading a NJO novel it's usually the Rebel Dream/Rebel Stand novels that I tend to pick up, mostly because I enjoy the post-invasion Coruscant (where it's been taken by the Yuuzhan Vong but not yet terraformed by them) and because I enjoy the Wedge/Celchu moments.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Allston's duology is probably one of the most re-readable stories in the NJO. Some others would be the Edge of Victory duology and The Final Prophecy by Greg Keyes, James Luceno's Agents of Chaos duology. The duologies were all great.

13. exarkun20

exarkun20 Jedi Padawan

Dec 30, 2012
    I just finished reading Star by Star and I must say it was very entertaining. I give it a 8.5 out of 10. I have a couple of comments then a question that I need answered. MINOR SPOILERS involved. I didnt like the way the book ended. After 605 pages you would think it would have a better ending considering Denning is not writing a sequel. Also, I thought the process of finding and killing the queen voxyn was way too long. Finally, I didn't like how easy Senator Shesh was able to kill a norghi. That didnt seem realistic. Now to my question. When did Jaina learn how to use force lightning? I don't read the young adult books, did she learn it there? Also, I was under the impression that Jedi didn't use force lightning, that it was a sith thing. I would appreciate it if someone could give me an answer.

Thank you

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It is indeed a Sith (or at least, Dark Jedi) thing- Jaina using it is a hint that she's in the process of Falling To The Dark Side.

Her behaviour in Dark Journey suggest that she's arrested this Fall a little- but is still somewhat Dark- but she starts moving toward redemption toward the end of the book.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Denning stinks at writing conclusions. You'll understand after LOTF and FOTJ. The hunt for the Queen was long. Stranger things have happened. Jaina was close to falling to the Dark Side. She lost Anakin and Jacen was captured. That would make anyone snap.