main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    As if Arsenal fans didn't already have enough reason to hate the away-goals rule :p

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I think Spurs are a good bet to win the competition now. Although that did expose either a) how they've become lazy and reliant on Gareth Bale, or b) how they lack and dynamism when he's not on the pitch.

3. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    So this is how Spurs look without Bale... [face_tee_hee]

What happened to Miro? I thought he was at Lazio.. No?
    And Chelsea are looking terrible.

4. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Rio back in the England squad.

he should never have been "dropped" in the first place. he's not the future but he's better than what's out there at the moment.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Spurs should nto have changed their usual formation to try and get goals, they should stick to what works for them. After all, they really only needed one goal.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Who gives a **** in all honesty.

7. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Good to see those blinkers still working :p

epic likes this.
  8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Yeah. At least if Klose were healthy and had played I could be happy for him.

Stuttgart's season is pretty much in free fall. They got off to a bad start to the season (lost 6-1 in München, which got to see in person), managed to right themselves pretty quickly and were contending for the European berths through November. Since then they've only been able to beat sides like Hoffenheim and third-rate Europa League sides (eg Genk).They actually weren't that bad in the home match vs Lazio, made two bad defensive mistakes and Lazio took advantage both times. Last night was somewhat like Bayern vs Arsenal the night before: alot of talk prematch about how they were going to give 100% and go for the win, then came out and gave a limo, lifeless performance.I generally try to avoid calls for management changes, but I really don't think either the manager (Bobic) or the trainer (Labbadia) have what it takes, hope to see them both gone in the Summer, with someone like Mainz's Thomas Tuchhel, a young coach with a great head for tactics, coming in.

9. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I know there's no English side in the CL but that is no reason to ignore the CL draw.

Real has an easy draw as does Dortmund and Barca's midfield should have no problem with Beckham. Which leaves Bayern vs Juventus, hard to predict that one.

edit: Benfica vs Newcastle, I can live with that.

10. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Good draw, German sides avoided each other, as did Real and Barca. Bayern-Juve certainly the most interesting matchup. Hopefully this time Kroos will actually make an effort to man mark Pirlo.

11. Darth Ibonek

Jan 11, 2013
    Interesting... Didier playing against his former coach. Ibra playing against the club that did not appreciate him. This will be interesting.

12. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I wonder what odds you'd get on the winner of the Bayern vs Juve game going on to win the whole thing...

13. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    a Beckham free kick into Ibra to knock in and knock Barca out. YHIHF.

i think Bayern will have enough for Juventus. they'll turn it on when they need to.

14. Darth Ibonek

Jan 11, 2013
    Maybe, but after watching them underperform, who knows. Pirlo, Marchisio, Vidal, and Kwadwo are dangerous players; it's just that the Old Lady don't have a good striker. Vucinic, Matri, and Bendtner just don't cut it in my opinion.

Does anybody know how Shaqiri is doing at Bayern? I don't watch the Bundesliga, but it seems like he's always on the bench. He's a wonderful talent. Amazing last World Cup.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The stength of English football is questioned because none made in to the quarter-fiansl of the CL, yet in the Europa League there are 3 teams still competing at that stage. Where one lot fails in one competition, others do well in another. Is that not a sign of league strength?
    Chelsea shouldn't have a problem with Rubin, but the trip to Russia could take a bit out of them. All the teams have winnable fixtures, could easily have an all-English final.

Interesting CL draws, Bayern vs Juventus is certainly the glamour fixture of the round but barca vs PSG could be good too.

16. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Fergie must be pleased for him...

17. Darth Ibonek

Jan 11, 2013
    Real fans shouldn't underestimate Galatasaray. After seeing them play against United, I can see that they are pretty tough. Their outfield is very solid- Hamit Altintop, Inan, Yilmaz, Bulut, and not to mention recent acquisitions Drogba (Time for Mou to face the monster he created [face_laugh]) and Sneijder. Maybe Elmander might actually do something.

I think it will boost his morale. As long as he doesn't get injured, I think it will motivate him to play better for United (not that he hasn't). But when the season comes to an end, who knows how his body will be... Hopefully the likes of Evans and Phil Jones can fill in for him.

18. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    His body will break down if he plays internationals. tee hee

19. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    No one should be underestimated at this point, but Galatsaray are certainly the weakest side left. Schalke really handed them the match. Still, Real have problems with teams that sit back, which Gala certainly will do, and Drogba and Yilmaz can certainly put the ball in the net when they get a chance. Sneijder, however, is pretty useless. Amazing how far he's fallen since 2010.

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Strange Hodgson is talking about making peace between Rio & Cole, as if both of them should still be playing first team for England. Baines has been much better this season overall and should play ahead of Cole, there are numerous players including at United who can play ahead of Ferdinand.

21. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Osman, legendary player so he is

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Handball outside the area apparently

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Love it. Excellent game.

24. Darth Ibonek

Jan 11, 2013
    Brilliant. United 15 points up by the end of the day! [face_dancing] Respect for Moyes.

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Funnily enough, City are blaming the loss on the above incident. Funny that they didn't mention Everton had a perfectly good goal incorrectly disallowed, and Fellaini should have had a penalty...

Darth Ibonek likes this.