main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

It's an FPS LucasArts has been developing for some time now, and by all accounts it's basically complete, as it was ready to ship this spring over Xbox Arcade, PS Store, and I think Steam. Basically, it's SW Battlefront on a smaller scale. There's a thread or two about it, as well as 1313, over in the Video Games section of the forums.

2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Looks pretty. Probably would have been fun, but it's been a while since I've played any SW video game, so not the biggest loss for me either.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It is no different when WEG lost the license to WOTC. Projects that are in the works but not yet finsihed often get canceled when new powers step in. Hell, if we should be bitter about anything, it is the loss of the WEG sourcebook that was going to be devoted to Rogue Squadron. What would be more awesome than a sourcebook devoted to the Rebellion's most famous squadron?

--Adm. Nick

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    One all about Ackbar?

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, I suppose there is one sourcebook I would pick over the Rogue Squadron one... :p

--Adm. Nick

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What is Nick going to do when they replace Admiral Ackbar with Admiral Binks in the super-special-edition?

Zorrixor likes this.
  7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The WEG Centrality Sourcebook or the Tapani Gilded Rebellion Campaign? :p

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, but SW Gamer magazine did a passable Centrality source-article... ;)

But yeah, the loss of the Rogue Squadron SB and the Corporate Sector boxed set is depressing - moreso because WEG went under because of corporate shennanigans (involving the non-game portion of the company).

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah but that was like 10 pages, not a 100+ sourcebook. :( @ Gamer

10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The EU becomes an alternate timeline that diverges from the sequel trilogy timeline during the Endor victory celebration... Episode VII introduces a The Doctor-esque character who can hop back and forth between the timelines. Thus the EU as we know it continues, with heightened interest from fans of Episode VII who want to read about the further adventures of The Doctor.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You can still write the Essential Guide to Ackbar, you know...

Chapter One: "Oh Admiral, My Admiral: How Winter and Ackbar's Torrid Romance Made Waves"

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't think so Jeff, after all what magician repeats a trick so soon? I figure there has to be something but no way are we going to crack it.

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, time travel and alternate dimensions might have been used too recently to not come across cliche, but it's been a few decades since they had someone just step out of the shower, so maybe Abrams'll go back to that. :p

"Wow... I'm glad that was just a Force Vision. Maybe I'd better not flirt with this Mara girl after all."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Its a bit late but my own view on the whole EU thing is that (aside from it's to big and there is much that is not good), I think it will be contradicted for the simple fact that even if they have read the EU, the new writers/people will not care. I think the best chance is that the more well known stuff (ie TTT) may get a nod or referenced but thats it.

15. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Pity the old "a lot of it isn't any good" excuse won't be enough reason for them to also jettison Jar Jar and forget half the PT ever happened. :p

WMIRTUTSF and TheRedBlade like this.
  16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    what is good is in the eye of the beholder. i mean I thougt Truce at Bakura and New Rebellion was good. Quite a few people don't like it. I loved the NJO series,. many don't.

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    That's indeed the great mystery isn't it?

What's good is impossible to judge objectively... with the exception of Jar Jar Binks, the one and only objectively awful piece of Star Wars, but the one thing that Abrams cannot rid us of. :p

18. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Actually not everyone hates Jar Jar Binks! But don't expect them to ignore anything from the PT. Well they technically "can" because it will happened ages ago. I mean pretty much everyone from the PT films are gone.

19. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The only thing I see as a major hindrance is the whole of the NJO and the Yuuzhan Vong. Enough time has passed that "The Vong Wars" could be referenced in much the same way as "The Clone Wars" were in ANH... BUT, because it's Luke and Co, that's going to be a major mind frack for older audiences who are going to say "when the kark did that happen?" For the newer and completely new fans, it would absolutely work in much the same way. I mean, not even the PT actually shows much of the Clone Wars. The opening battle and glimpses of a few closing battles. The 3 years of galactic war aren't shown. Same with the Galactic Civil War... we get all of 3 battles in a galactic insurgency.

Sort of funny, actually, that while there is plenty of action in every Star Wars film most of the Wars are off screen.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Even the "Vong Wars" don't need a mention.

Just saying that the Rebels formed a new government, and Luke formed a new Jedi Order.
    And of course nothing to contradict the kids.

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, let's not forget the (completely unsupported) rumor that Crucible is supposed to address the upcoming changes, or something. Have we gotten any actual official info on that book recently?

I'm not sure that the Centrality merits a full sourcebook, though.

The Tion Cluster, however.... DEMANDS IT.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The official blurb for CRUCIBLE says some artifact that can warp space and time is involved.

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, I see the blurb on Amazon. Well, well... that's certainly interesting...[face_thinking]

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    A scale from Waru?

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Pah you could fill 20 pages alone with Gepta and his minions. ;)

blackmyron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.