main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census DC vs. Marvel

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Mar 13, 2013.

?

Which is better: DC or Marvel?

1. DC

32 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Marvel

60 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. I can't pick

23 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    This. All day.

MrZAP likes this.
  2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    He is the best there is at what he does, after all. :p

Souderwan likes this.
  3. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Over the past few years, the only comics I've read have been Dark Horse Star Wars and IDW Star Trek stuff, because of the things Marvel and DC have been doing with their characters and such have turned me off to them. But to be honest, I think I like it better this way, because it keeps my focus razor-thin, and I don't have to buy stuff just because (I don't buy EVERYTHING Dark Horse Star Wars and IDW Star Trek-related, like that Legion of Superheroes/Star Trek crossover IDW did with DC).

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Where have I put down people for reading comics?

5. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    This looks like a job for.... Supertrooper?
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Whichever distributor Robocop is part of.

Otherwise I choose Marvel.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0247745/

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Who wants a free mustache ride?

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, Otto Octavius for life!

*runs*

Ulicus , Ramza, Spider-Fan and 2 others like this.
  10. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I actually don't mind Otto Spidey. I will be happy when it's over of course but so far I am enjoying this bizarre tangent.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, it's pretty fun, and I actually enjoy Jiminy Parker tagging around.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    BECAUSE COMIC BOOKS SHOULD ALWAYS BE REALISTIC

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I have actually only ever gotten into the comic book superhero movies and TV shows... never the comic books themselves. From DC I've always liked Superman and Batman (but not really anyone else from DC), and they're kind of outnumbered by Spider-Man, the Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, etc. from Marvel (I enjoyed The Avengers and look forward to Iron Man 3).

So I gave the super-helpful response of "I can't pick".

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    At the moment, I say screw both companies... J Bone's new Rocketeer series is the coolest darned thing in print. It's the Rocketeer versus freakin' Cthulhu... Cthulhu. And Doc Savage has taken Cliff's jetpack.

Cthulhu.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Don't you mean Sp/Ock?

16. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    DC for me. Primarily because I liked watching the DC cartoons a lot more than the Marvel ones as a kid (Justice League is one of my fave cartoons in general and B:TAS and Teen Titans are up there as well). DC still has consistently good animation with their shows and DVD movies. Marvel has some decent animation but nothing in comparison to DC's output.

Because I was already a fan of DC through the shows when I finally started reading actual comics about five years ago I started with them. I went with Green Lantern first because that character intrigued me the most, and have slowly been working my way up from Rebirth (still have a ways to go because of lack of funds and the other series I buy, so I've only gotten to pre-Blackest Night stuff). I then went to mainline DCU stuff with Infinite Crisis and 52 (which was awesome and made me fall in love with The Question and Booster Gold even more) and then started on Batman after TDK came out, beginning with the old Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale stuff, and then the Death of Superman trilogy (which was okay but a bit ridiculous at the end). And then there are their Elseworlds stuff which I really dig. I think Red Son is probably my favorite DC work period, followed by 52. I'm still steadily getting through GL, GLC, crossover arc stuff, Batman, Superman, and Elseworlds stuff, and intend to get more into Booster Gold, Lobo, Green Arrow, JLA, Teen Titans, Aquaman, Jonah Hex stuff if and when money and time permit (mostly money), and eventually even more. I do think the DCU has a huge wealth of interesting characters. Reading their crossover stuff in Infinite crisis and 52 and Sinestro Corps War and so on, plus the cartoons, have really taught me that lesson well.

I honestly haven't branched out much to Marvel yet, though it isn't for a lack of interest. I've only read Marvel Zombies so far, because well... Robert Kirkman with zombies is cool on its own (love TWD) but with Marvel? Hell yeah. I'm still going through the other DC titles plus a bunch of Vertigo and Image stuff but I'm looking for jumping-off point for them. I'm thinking Ultimate Spider-Man might work; I'd start at the beginning and go all the way through if I enjoy it, and maybe pick up an X-title and Doctor Strange at some point along the way because I like the X-Men and the Sorcerer Supreme quite a lot. Maybe I'll get into Captain America or Thor at some point as well. I've only got one more trade to buy for Y: The Last Man (I've already read it; just need to plug in a gap), my favorite series to date, and then perhaps I'll start. Or maybe I'll go to Sandman next. I haven't decided. I love everything I've read from Vertigo so far but I really should read more Marvel... hm.

The trouble is that I only buy trades because I've never really caught up to anything and I can't be bothered to start in the middle of an arc/buy more every month, so it's more expensive, and I've got very little disposable income, so I'm really only getting maybe seven or eight trades a year at most spread through various titles. Right now I'm only really buying Y: The Last Man, Jack of Fables (because I hit that crossover at wall in the main series and need to read Jack to break through it), 90's Batman, GLC (for the same reason as Fables), The Walking Dead, and the occasional Elseworlds and Dark Horse SW titles (I really want to read New Frontier soon after seeing the DVD movie).

On the subject of films I do think Marvel has consistently better ones than DC, but I think DC's best films are better than Marvel's best films.

17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I don't believe in taking sides on this. There's no need to belittle one fictional universe simply to promote another one. Doing so is just childish and immature.

Just kidding. DC! DC! DC! DC!

18. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm hesitant to call one as better than the other, but I seem to be more attracted to Marvel comics and have read more of them, so, Marvel it is.

Also, Stan Lee stuff from the Silver Age is pure gold.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  20. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    Marvel.

Batman is the only DC thing that does anything for me.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
  22. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    My favorite is Marvel because i have been a fan of the X-men franchise since the TAS in the 90's, but I can'y say for sure because it is my favorite it is better.

I always found Marvels penchant for minority Cannonfodder disturbing, While DC has taken far more chances with its characters. Cyborg, Static, the Second aqualad, the scon Aqua Girl.

Both Cyborg and Wally West went from junior characters to full top tyr team players. Marvel tends to kill of and depower thoes in favor of older character.

23. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I don't like superman, but since dark horse is located less than a mile from where my butt now sits, i gotta go with them.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like Batman and Spiderman.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Really, any character?

How quickly you guys forget the existence of people with Stretch Armstrong powers.