main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars cancelled.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kuestmaster, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Which is, frankly, not very divisive. There really isn't a wide range of opinion on the prequels. Most people think they suck. Little kids and a few hardcore fans may disagree, but that's the opinion of the vast majority on them. Similarly, a few hardcore fans of the OT/PT will grouse about the ST, but the vast majority of people will like them.

fett 4 and KilroyMcFadden like this.
  2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Being 20 years old, I sort of grew up with the prequels. Most of the people I've talked to about SW around my age bracket like the prequels.

ROTS has a Rotten Tomatoes average rating of 7.2, which is a damn good score.

While the originals are most certainly considered better by the older fans (and myself, personally), I think to assume the prequels are generally disliked is actually a rather large assumption.

K'Kruhk, VMeran, TaradosGon and 11 others like this.
  3. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    That's funny. I find that most people I meet in real life like the prequels. They all did very well in the box office, garnered mixed to positive reviews from film critics (mostly very good for ROTS), the Blu-Ray sets sold a lot of copies, and the movies have generally been received well the last ten years. Even TPM, the movie most people like to hate, was fairly successful in its 3D comeback. They would have showed the whole saga in theaters again were it not for Disney. It's your vocal minority of 'prequel haters' (not using the term as a pejorative, just a descriptor) on the Internet that make it seem otherwise. I'm not sure why everyone who's disappointed with the prequels have to make their opinion seem like fact. We're not getting a new trilogy just because the original Star Wars did so well 25+ years ago.

4. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    A large one, but a correct one. The thing is, you may agree with it or disagree with it, but the unarguable fact is that vast majority opinion on the prequels is that they sucked. That could be a great opinion or an ignorant opinion, a right opinion or a wrong opinion, an artistically correct opinion or an artistically incorrect opinion, but that's what the opinion is.

I don't know you personally, or know who you hang out with, but I assure you, it isn't just a vocal minority of basement-dwellers who think the prequels were bad. Again, you can argue that people who disliked the prequels are cretins, or haters, or morons all you like; and maybe you're right. But one thing you can't really honestly argue that they are is rare.

5. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    No, I can argue this. I hate, absolutely hate The Phantom Menace. But it did well. It scored the lowest on Rotten Tomatoes/Metacritic but it still didn't get a bad rating.

I also know there are people who consider TPM their favourite.

To say that the Prequel trilogy is hated, hell even disliked by the majority is not a fact. Look at the sheer amount of prequel-related stuff we've got in the last decade. If nobody liked it, we wouldn't only now be moving away from it.

6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Wait till you get to Feast for Crows and Dances With Dragons [face_not_talking]

7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

From my own experience with Non die hard Starwars fans who don't go on message boards, Clones with the Love story is considered the worst .TPM has a good Lightsaber fightl but Jar Jar and the kid are crap, but they like Sith and find it enjoyable.

8. Hercu Dogla

Hercu Dogla Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2013
    I have to say I agree with you completely on this. I think who may like or dislike the prequels come from the generation of the viewer. I like you am only 21 so while I remember recieving the OT box set on vhs when i was like 7 I also remember going to see each of the PT in theaters and loving them along with everyone else in my age group in my town and even state that I knew.

I think the hate on the PT comes from long time fans of the series who didn't want to see the change or like the way certain characters were portrayed. They may have an idea of how they wanted to see things play out and then when it doesn't go their way they just don't like it.

To say that a vast majority of people hate the PT I think is a dramatic overstatement. There will always be people who do not like things and usually the haters voice is louder because they have more reason to be vocal. This is why things may somteims feel like one side out weighs the other.

9. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    This needs to be repeated everywhere imo, because it's true. For the OT fans, many of them hated the Star Wars prequels and it's such a shame their opinions are the ones that dominate the collective opinions about them,. but the prequels were adored by every kid I knew, including myself. I remember I used to talk to my friends at lunch constantly about going to see Attack of the Clones at the midnight premiere, the idea of being up at 12AM was something shocking to many of them! [face_laugh]

The prequels are far, far, FAR better than the likes of Transformers and Twilight.

10. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    That's not much of a compliment, though I actually like the first Transformers (2007) film. Too bad the next two just used the exact same plot, but had bigger explosions. And Twilight needs no comment. :p

I have no problem with people hating the Prequels (opinions man, we all have 'em, and I hate TPM). I do have a problem with the claim that the Prequels were hated by the majority, because there's no proof of that, in fact there's proof of the contrary.

11. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I would argue that Lucas's direction and the dialogue were just painful. [face_plain]

12. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Well, who was going to make us move away from it? Pre-Disney Lucasfilm was a North Korea-level dictatorship: whatever George liked, went. He liked the prequels, so Lucasfilm did prequel stuff. End of story. Lucas didn't care what anyone else liked - he did what he wanted to do, and everyone else could get stuffed as far as he was concerned. And that's not just my opinion. He said that kind of thing over and over and over again - "Star Wars is my story and I'll do whatever I like with it no matter what the fans think" - with a level of contempt for his own fans that hasn't been seen anywhere in show business since the days of Andy Kaufman.

I have to QFT here:

Yeah, pretty much.

And, honestly, what exact "prequel-related stuff" are you talking about? There's a bunch of games and other EU stuff that Lucas didn't ever care about because he's never seen the EU as anything but a cash cow. Which leaves what - TCW? Hey, I like the show too, and it's generally well-regarded, but that's not exactly a torrent of new Star Wars stories.

Sure, and eating dog poop is far, far, FAR better than eating arsenic - the former is disgusting and will make you sick, but it probably won't do any permanent harm (just ask Divine). That doesn't make dog poop a yummy snack.

13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Bayformers? [face_sick]

TrandoJedi likes this.
  14. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    He's making Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles next. Unbelievably, Megan Fox is actually going to be cast as April O'Neil. [face_frustrated]

AkashKedavra_93 and TrandoJedi like this.
  15. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Such a travesty. :(

MistrX likes this.
  16. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    First, the decision to postpone the remaining 3D prequel releases predated the Disney sale. Remember that the original plan was to release one per year; after the performance of TPM-3D obviously underperformed according to LFL's own expectations, LFL then made the decision on its own to then reschedule the AOTC-3D and ROTS-3D releases to a couple of consecutive weekends; in other words, the writing was on the wall for the 3D releases from the moment the returns for the first release were in; all Disney did is recognize that this was not helping things and put a quick and merciful end to what could only have been further embarassment, at the very time when they're trying to clear the stigma of embarassment from the franchise.

Second, we don't feel the need to make our opinion seem like fact; the flaws of the prequels are self-evident facts; we are simply pointing out those facts.

fett 4 and Heero_Yuy like this.
  17. Hercu Dogla

Mar 13, 2013
    Oh sure there was plenty within the movies that I didn't like... Anakins little crying scene after killing the tuskan raiders makes me cringe every time I don't fast forward through it but that doesn't mean the movie as a whole still isn't fun to watch and totally badass. The battle in the Colosseum when all the Jedi appear from the crowd is freaking sick!

No movies are perfect but I think on the whole to the younger generations the PT were great movies and added a lot to the SW universe.

18. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    The myth that most people hated the prequels will never die.

And I'm enjoying watching people blame Lucas for decisions that are being made after he sold the company.

19. Hercu Dogla

Mar 13, 2013
    This is a joke right? Please tell me this is a joke. You can't really be ignorant enough to be trying to state your opinions as fact, can you?. Because that is exactly what it seems like you are trying to do with this statement. Your so called "self-evident facts" are simply your own interpretation of what you see on the screen. What you may see as a flaw in movies many others may enjoy or even love about it.

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Force, give it a rest...not all the "old people" hate the PT. I'm in my mid-fifties and saw ANH while in college. I love the OT; I love the PT. There's flaws in every one of the six movies if you want to find them: I choose to enjoy them with a healthy dose of suspension of belief since they're - you know - space fantasy/opera.

Same goes for TCW. There's all sort of plot/character crap in the last aired (and others) episode if one looks at it: it's a stupendous, emotional touching episode if one merely accepts it, sits back, and enjoys it with the brain tuned down.

We fans turn the enjoyment of these movies into something far more cerebral than the intent is and then insist on judging it for what we want out of it, oftentimes. For sheer, enjoyable spectacle, sit back and pop a mouthful of popcorn; they're fine as they are (yes, granted not a one of us wouldn't tweak something here or there just like with almost any movie).

You want Shakespeare hidden in a fantasy shell, you will be disappointed. They're not meant to be that.

I cannot and will not say how many viewers love, like, meh, dislike or hate the PT because there is no accurate way of judging short of box office earnings, etc. but the PT-haters are on this never ending crusade to persuade everyone that everyone hates them. I don't deny many do. That's their right. And their right to speak up and say so, just as it is my right to speak up in return.

But this holy crusade to convert the believers...man, it's old to hear the rantings and ravings. (Obviously, I am speaking of the ranters and ravers, not the ones who just say they don't like the PT and don't try to ram their opinions down the dissenters throats. And while this may seem directed at one or more specific posters - it's not; it's directed against the mindset and constant almost harassment of PT fans.)

VMeran, FARK2005, TaradosGon and 5 others like this.
  21. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    That's funny, because it seems to me that there is a bigger effort to try and shame PT haters on this forum. Especially using impotent, made up nonsense about vocal minorities.

There are more OT fans than PT fans. That is not subjective.

22. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    This. My girlfriend likes the prequels better and she is 20. All of my friends around my age, 21, enjoy them. When we went and saw TPM in 3D, almost the whol group of people that were there were around 16-25.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly, it's a myth, no matter how many people try to present it as undeniable fact. This has to be one of the most exhausted topics on these boards.

Kiki-Gonn and Sgt Crowfield like this.
  24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Shame? No. Call them out on it, yes. I was silent for years to avoid arguing over it, but sometimes silence is seen as consent. PT hate is injected into almost every thread whether it relates to the thread or not and THAT is what is tiresome.

You're probably right there are more OT fans than PT. I don't know that, but I don't dispute it. And your "impotent, made up nonsense" applies equally to the non-PT fans.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A couple of points here:

I'm 41 and I liked the prequels. My film preference order is ROTJ-AOTC-TPM-ESB-ANH-ROTS. Generalizations are stupid.

I don't know whether there are more OT fans than PT fans or not, and I really don't care, as contrary to what some people seem to think about their own taste in film, I don't think mine becomes somehow more valuable if X number of people share it. I'm comfortable with my opinions as they are.

It is hilarious, however, to see people posting that "most people agree with me" with no objective polling data whatsoever to prove it.

Not so hilarious, regarding "prequel haters" (or Ahsoka haters or anything "haters") being marginalized--it is true that there has been a tendency to harass anyone who has an opinion other than "Damn that was awesome!" with "if you don't like X why are you here?" The answer can always be "none of your business. Use the ignore button on anyone who disagrees with you if you have so much trouble with differing opinions."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.