main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will the general public believe Luke when he says what went down on the Death Star II?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by George Roper, Mar 15, 2013.

?

Is Luke initially respected in ST or is he ridiculed?

1. Respected

26 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. Ridiculed

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Or will he be ridiculed and forced to live as a hermit for 30 years until perhaps a robot is sent to him with a hologram begging for his help to deal with a new threat?

Personally, I can see Leia and Han taking all the credits for themselves.

2. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Han and Leia will believe him and respect it. But in the long run I don't think it really matters. The Emporer and Vader would have died in the explosion of the Death Star anyways. And those who may have seen Luke burning Vader would have just been a bunch of Ewoks who have never seen him. Luke won't be doing any hiding at all.

Unless people start to hate all force users in general because of the previous wars.

KevinM1 likes this.
  3. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    The entire Rebel Alliance would back Luke's story. He's a hero to them.

4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Well, there is a chance that people will learn of Luke's parentage and not trust him because his father, you know, helped enforce the genocide of millions of innocent people.

5. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    We also don't really know who knew what in the rebellion. It was surely not common knowledge in terms of the Sith/Anakin/Vader/Palpatine. Bail Organa knew what was happening, at least to some extent based on Ep. III, but we don't know for sure, although I think we assume that he was killed when Alderaan went BOOM!

V-2, TreborSabreon and Episode Swag like this.
  6. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    There'd be no reason for Vader being Luke and Leia's father to be made common knowledge in the galaxy.

I could actually see the bad guy in Episode VII revealing to everyone that Vader was actually Luke and Leia's father. That could cause some chaos...

7. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Ohhhh, now that could certainly be interesting.

8. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Respected. Definitely respected. Still it is interesting to debate. In the Star Wars X Wing series it's said that the Empire put out propaganda that the Emperor died at Endor destroying a rebel death star which is a strange thought.

Episode Swag likes this.
  9. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    No they're gunna pull a "Return to Oz" and have everbody including Leia thinking Luke is bat**** insane about this "force" thing and the Republic will then capture him to electroshock him into forgetting this force nonsense. Thankfully he'll be saved by hte new hero in time and we'll all cry and be royally freaked out.....
    Nah I'm just kidding. He'll probably be respected.

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I say respected, but it depends on how much he told everyone, especially Vader being his father and all. I liked how it was handled in TTT - that being only his family knew about it.

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It's easy to forget that we, as viewers, have an exclusive inside look at the biggest and most important galaxy changing events up to the tiniest detail.
    The "general public" of that galaxy, from the in-universe point of view, most certainly doesn't know all the details. They probably get the general idea, Luke beat Vader and the Emperor, Han did this, Lando did that, Leia that, Mon Mothma some other stuff, Wedge this and that... but I highly doubt that what we, as audience know, is general knowledge in GFFA.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    "I defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor."
    "We don't believe you."
    (waves hand) "You believe me."
    "We believe you."

13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Exactly. That's something that I highly doubt that the entire population of the galaxy would accept with a shrug and a pat on the back "Well, you're good, kid."
    That would cause quite a bit of controversy.

14. princethomas

princethomas Jedi Master star 2

Nov 19, 2001
    Ive always been of the opinion that almost no one knew that Anakin and Darth Vader were one in the same. Obi-Wan and Yoda, Bail Organa, the 501st clones that went with him to the temple certainly knew that Anakin attacked the temple. Im not sure they knew he was to be called Darth Vader at that point and so I wouldn't be surprised if they think Anakin was killed and don't know where Vader comes from. I dont think anyone else knew. Owen and Beru know that Luke is to be hidden maybe because hes the offspring of someone so important who was killed, not turned to Vader.

So I don't know that anyone need know much of anything. The Rebels know that Luke is a Jedi. So they can know that he went to the Death Star and escaped. I doubt hed tell anybody about anything.

15. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Very interesting.

16. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I don't know, Luke had time to get outta town, so why not Sidious and Vader? Once the Emperor finished frying Luke and then saw that the battle outside his window was going, you know, kinda badly, wouldn't they have just split? I would think so. :)

It wouldn't surprise me if you're right about the general populace harboring a serious mistrust of Force-users, in general.

17. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I see your last line as a potential part of the ST storyline.

18. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Would the general public even have to know that Luke was on the DS2? I mean, they might just say that Lando and Wedge blew up the Death Star, and the Emperor and Vader were on it at the time.

Han and Leia taking all the credit? I'm guessing that was a joke, as it seems so ridiculous an idea.

19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    He brought Vader's corpse back and there was a big party on Corcuscant... they all already believe those two died. The only other thing left to believe is Luke and Leia's heiritage.

20. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Did anyone other than Luke know this though. Except for close friends like Han and Leia.

I think Luke's complex relationship with his father at that point was a very private thing. He certainly wouldn't have wanted to make the whole Alliance aware of it.

21. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    The real question to me: would anyone believe that it was Darth Vader who was the ultimate hero? No one else saw it but Luke.

22. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Wonderfully put, Comedian. This father and son relationship, how it all played out, and how it will effect Luke's relationship with his son, is reason number one that I want to see "Ben Skywalker" (whatever they decide to call him) as the protagonist in the ST.

Oh, and stormcloud8, I think you raise a good point, there. I think even Leia, who, even though she has her own history with Vader, does trust Luke implicitly, would have a hard go of it, let alone anybody else.

23. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Maybe, maybe not... I didnt see his lamda shuttle nearby so its unknown if it was right next to the pyre he built or if he had to drag the body there more openly. However even as a private matter as it could get a true Jedi would tell the rebel leaders that he can confirm the deaths of Vader and the Emperor and they didnt escape the Second Death Stars destruction, since they have a right to know after all due to a whole rebellion against the Empire thing. Plus its not like a simple fire could burn away Vaders robotic parts nor maybe his whole suit either depending on what it was made ofs burning tempurature.

24. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Awesome question! Than again, maybe people would be gullible enough to believe such a claim despite obviously being true.

25. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    [​IMG]