main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, here's hoping Andy Serkis is better at melodramatically yelling "NOOOOOOOO" than James Earl Jones. Probably not, though.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    No, probably not, although there's potential for the whole project to be redeemed by a third trilogy that chronicles Gollum's adventures on his way to Mordor. Or maybe that would be best as an animated television series on the Cartoon Network.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Shame Andy Serkis isn't (from what I read) in the next two movies.

Eh, I don't think it's quite that bad. As good as LOTR? No. As bad at the PT? Still no.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I don't know . . .

I enjoyed the movie sufficiently while in the act of watching it, but that enjoyment just hasn't stuck with me. I really can't remember anything about it that I thought was really great or really took pleasure from. The LOTR movies had their flaws, but I don't remember Aragorn falling off a goddamn cliff, I remember the Battle of Helm's Deep . . . what sticks with me is the good stuff, the gorgeous realization of the physical locations, the music, the acting, the great moments of beauty and depth perfectly realized. The Hobbit didn't really have that. Fellowship had the flight from the Nazgul, when Jackson put the camera and the music and everything to work together to create an epic, thrilling, yet unnerving and menacing chase sequence across great scenery. The Hobbit had a bunch of dwarves shuffling across the plain in a line while a CGI rabbit-sled appeared randomly around them. It was just such a step down in pure filmmaking technique.

And I think the problem, ultimately, is that Jackson has gotten too comfortable with the franchise. Had it been del Toro, he would have been in a position where he had to prove himself -- to show that he was worthy of taking up the mantle. Jackson already did the movies where he proved himself, and now he's just getting to play in his favorite old playground again. The drive isn't there anymore. And it really shows. LOTR worked to make you fall in love with it. The Hobbit, really, felt like Jackson was counting on your already being in love with the setting, and was all, "Look! A thing you like!" It expected you to bring the love yourself, it presupposed your attachment to the movie, rather than working to make you fall in love with Middle-Earth all over again and fall in love with this specific storyline. I really think that I've finally been able to put my thumb on what was off with the movie -- it was lazy and contented and taking the audience for granted. And while that didn't make it terrible, if you do have that preexisting fondness there, it did make it a lot less as a film, and kept it from being genuinely great or really memorable in the long run.

NYCitygurl and Bacon164 like this.
  5. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    BoxOfficeMojo's estimation for 2013 blockbusters. About TDOS's chances of achieving the 1B$ magical number:
    Not so bad, all considered. And here's hoping that TDOS will be to AUJ what ESB was to ANH...

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Can't believe that the DVD is almost out or is it out already? Wow time has flown.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    A different director?

(Couldn't resist.)

Bacon164 and Diggy like this.
  8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
  9. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    not really because the hobbit an unexpected journey just came out in december! I am looking forward to the extended edition!

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Feels like December was yesterday though! And we are in March already! The EE will be great.

Random Comments likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wonder what the running time will be for part 2.

12. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Maybe alittle bit longer like 5 to 10 mins longer!!!!!!

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Or maybe it'll be 200 minutes longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sith-Lord-Gunray and Bacon164 like this.
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, I literally think we got two pages out of me hitting on Varouj's girlfriend.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It could be that it is such a fun film that it gets those hundreds of pages. Call me crazy.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    In light of the crack about the directors, I guess I should reiterate that I liked the film. It had too much filler and wasn't nearly as good as LotR, but I knew that loooonnng before seeing it. And splitting it into three instead of two (which would also be pushing it but could be pulled off) was a huge mistake creatively (but not in terms of dollars, I guess). And of course HFR sucks. I don't agree with the more overblown criticisms, but I understand why people are disappointed.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    meh, lotr had a thousand plus page thread dedicated solely to "sexy" pictures of the cast. a big reason why this one has so many posts is because there are actually a wide variety of opinions on both the film itself and the production techniques it utilized.

Adam of Nuchtern and Everton like this.
  18. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    an unencumbered sigourney (weaver)

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    My largest problems with this; there was no tension whatsoever. You always knew all would be fine. And yes, I knew the story, so knew all would be fine. However, I also knew the story of Argo, and there was still tension. Closer to Middle Earth, I knew that story aswell, and there was still tension. Although the Mouth of Sauron was disastrously bad. Going back to this and tension...the mountain fighting thingies looked great, but it's a ridiculous notion that all would come out unscathed. It's a matter of giving up some sort of realism for the sake of cool.

On minor points, Radaghast leading orcs away, and then back around was silly, Thorin already accepting Bilbo is silly, the troll scenes point was ruined, riddles in the dark was too short, the end sucked and it was too long. Oh and I'm quite tired of Jackson's shooting style. Yes, helicopter flybys show epicness. I get it.

Apart from that...I thought Freeman was well cast.

harpuah likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    There was no real menace which LOTR had in ship loads.

Havac likes this.
  21. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    When I hit this sentence in your post, I stopped reading. Sometimes posts are so bad that they kill your brain cells. This is one of those. I'd rather lose them to tequila.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Do you have them to spare? Rather than actually deconstruct my post with reason, you pull out one sentence and throw out a weak insult. Lets go.

harpuah likes this.
  23. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    intrnt srs bz

24. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    fite her IRL 1v1

25. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I think Mouth of Sauron was awesome and creepy, but Aragorn's act of decapitating him was cheap and unkingly. Part of why that scene works so well in the book is the fact that MoS was intimidated by Aragorn's mere look.