main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Rumor: Ep VII will focus on Solo child and grandchild

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by MrFantastic74, Mar 1, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This.

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I like the phase where we all go insane cause we're flooded with dozens of "I got sources to say this. LOOK I GOT PROOF!" and we all lose track of whats real and whats not. Wait....thats every phase

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I understand the EU connection you've made, but the rumor didn't say anything about Jaina or Allana. Heck, it never even mentioned a gender for these supposed characters.

4. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I'd love it if EU jaina and allana were killed by a new solo daughter named Shirley and a solo grandson named Herbie ray.

5. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I hope it's true! Please let it be Jaina and Allana![face_praying]

Dra---, black_saber and Mato_Jack like this.
  6. ShabbaTheHutt

ShabbaTheHutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2013
    It would make sense, and If they are the focus of the story then how about...

"Star Wars Episode VII: Daughters Of The Force"

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    As with any rumor at this point, I don't necessarily believe it, but I think it could be possible.
    I wouldn't mind a Solo child or grandchild just so long as there is a Skywalker child or grandchild as well.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  8. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Yes. If some things are going to be inspired, even indirectly, from the EU (such as the surviving Solo offspring), then I'd certainly hope to see an equal consideration given to, say, Ben Skywalker.

jedimikey likes this.
  9. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I'd prefer it to be Jaina and Jag having a mystery kid of their own. Splicing Jaina and Allana together would be weird.

I do think there needs to be more than one Solo kid, especially if they make Luke a bachelor.

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Sounds boring so far. I hope it's going to be more than two descendents. God, I hope.

11. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    As long as the grandchild doesn't accidentally save the day while exclaiming "Yippee!" and "Now this is pod racing!"... Come to think of it, as long as the grandchild doesn't have any lines whatsoever, it may be OK.

12. ShabbaTheHutt

ShabbaTheHutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2013
    There's very little in the Legacy backstory about the reign of Emperor Fel II (presumably Jaina and Jag's son) and the circumstances surrounding Jag establishing the Imperial Knights, who I think would be great to have in the movies.

13. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    ROTJ ages:

Luke and Leia 23, Han Solo 33

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It happens so frequently that I can completely understand your inability to discern reality. The Spoilers Allowed areas of this board have always been like Inception... if the team from Inception were attempting to plant completely irrational z-grade fanfiction into our subconsciousness...

15. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    One thing about this original scoop I saw this:
    and this from the original scoop:
    If they announce three new Timothy Zahn books (maybe he is doing the novelization of 7-9?) in EW might go a way to validate the OP.

16. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    I'm really thinking that the EW announcement has more to do with Dark Horse than anything else.

17. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    What if Shmi had a sibling, and this sibling had offspring of the same nature as Anakin? For that matter, what if Anakin had an older sibling or twin that Shmi gave up at birth? This opens up huge possibilities.

18. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Zahn has already debunked this rumor - he's still cheesed they killed off his character.

19. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    For more very bad fan fiction...

20. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm with you. On first impression, the idea of watching the adventures of the 'Solo child and grandchild' doesn't inspire confidence in me, personally. Not to say that it couldn't work, of course (it could be great), but, meh, it's absolutely not the story I'd hoped to see.

This is doubly true if the identities of these characters turn out to be Jaina and Allana. The fact of the matter is, I have less than zero interest in the story of an eight-year-old, "Jedi Queen." Making a nine-year-old boy such a big part of the focus of TPM was more than enough for me, thanks, and even that is only saved a smidge for me by the fact that that kid was, you know, Anakin Skywalker himself.

Now, I would like to see Jaina involved in the ensemble lead, but I still feel the strongest choice, for story purposes, is that of Ben Skywalker as protagonist, playing off his relationship with Luke. It also helps that if the EU is followed even loosely, at 18 years old, Luke's son is the perfect age to begin a coming-of-age, hero's journey.

Finally, if the story is of Jaina and Allana, with no Ben (or even Jacen, with an EU re-write), there's also the elephant in the room of, well, where's the male character in the ensemble lead for the boys to identify with? I don't mean to inspire talk of "Star Wars has always been a boys club and is due for a change," because I've always been in favor of strong female leads in the stories, but a story of Jaina and Allana, with no mention made of any other lead character, is conspicuous to me by it's absence of any male character. Just as I wouldn't want to see the traditional three lead characters to exclude any females, I don't want to see a lack of males (and the potential commercial hit Disney/Lucasfilm would have to absorb, I think, is a very real issue (even with a film as eagerly awaited as Episode VII).

Just my first impressions and food for thought.

21. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    The rumor of Zahn authoring three new SW books, or of doing the noveliztions of 7-9, specifically? I hadn't heard.

22. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Zahn writing three new books was the rumor, not 7-9. And he said 'no'. The rest of the rumor seems bunky too. Though the rumour didn't mention the gender of the characters.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  23. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I love the idea of female protagonists. Give me some ladies.

24. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I knew of the 'three new books' rumor, but I wasn't sure if, say, someone had also asked Zahn about 7-9 and Breezy was referencing that.

25. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Me, too, but for reasons I've gone into before, I'd make it for a story other than the ST. Give me Jaina in the ensemble lead, though, and I'd love it.

That said, I do think a co-protagonist approach with both Ben and Jaina could potentially work really well (maintaining thematic unity with I-VI, while also giving us a new twist).