main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #3: In the Shadow of Yavin, part 3 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Dec 12, 2012.

1. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I'm fine with it being just one of many SSDs under construction or even finished at the time.

Heh, maybe Vader temporarily changes SSD names to Executor when he transfers his flag ;p

Having an SSD (other than the Executor) stationed at Endor for protection of the DS2 and fleet command in the sector just seems like a good idea, especially post Yavin.

From what I read it was less the type of ship and more that it was always intended to be Vader's command ship that marked the Executor out for special attention for sabotage and assault even in the building stages.

Heck, the attempts on the ship would even explain why other ships of the class were operating first if she was delayed in construction thanks to internal infighting and rebel attacks.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Actually she was the first to be finished and very rushed to get completed, because the Empire was so desperate to have at least some big stick to shake at the Rebels after that little accident at Yavin. ;) Though the Reaper would actually strike me as he best candidate for getting finished at Endor and kept around the Rim.

3. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Good point about the Reaper. I could see it undergoing final construction along with the DS2.

Mind you, this is all just speculation if people really feel a need to fudge things to explain why there's an SSD in those scenes, but it's fun speculation regardless.

Others have already pointed out how packed the time period is, but I honestly think from the stand-point of "civilian" readers who aren't as canon-savy, it's a great starting point for a new series as it gives them the classic favourites without having them (In-universe) tied down with too much baggage.

I also think Wood is hitting a nice tone with the series, and Leia has long been shown as a pilot stretching back to the early days of the EU, so it's not shocking to see her flying an X-Wing.

Honestly, it's just nice to get a classical feel off the book without it feeling like it's too mired in nostalgia. I know it's early days but I'm quite enjoying it and I hope canon concerns or stumbles don't prove too much for some long-time fans.

JackG and themetresgained like this.
  4. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Seeing Han just on the next page made this confusing for me. Other than the slightly different hair, they look very similar. Not overly impressed by that. But I second that it definitely looks like Wedge is a bit jelly :p

Cad Bane likes this.
  5. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Also was I the only one who found this bit really creepy? Couldn't they have just ignored the whole Luke/Leia thing for this one series?

[​IMG]

Side note: I just logged into my Photobucket for the first time in about 8 or 9 years to upload that screencap, and I found a bunch of my saved Star Wars-related images from the wild ride that was RotS. Oh, memories.

6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I thought the weirder things was Mon Mothma using a disguise like that, it was really bizarre. It was like one of Jello's conspiracies about her...what if she is the traitor?

7. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Mon Mothma has always been the traitor [face_not_talking]

Havac likes this.
  8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    What it is actually ingrained has little to do with the EU at all: it's the films themselves.

As I've repeatedly pointed out in the Disney thread, Wood's hands, like Arndt's hands, aren't tied by the EU, he can ignore that all he wants, see how Filoni does as an example: no, his hands are tied by George Lucas's so-called "vision" and the way the masses, not just EU fans, but the masses of casual audiences, movie goers, film critics, and all the other denizens of popular culture, all worship at his feet like his every word is gospel (hence why we ended up with films featuring a slapstick Gungan and what was naturally the greatest romance story ever).

It's so easy to just go "It's the EU's fault" and completely forget how much stuff the OT and PT themselves restrict authors in doing.

This series is basically no different to the sort of stories we got thirty years ago from Marvel, before the EU even existed. I don't see why we should suddenly be expecting them to be reinventing the wheel when even Marvel was unable to manage it even with all the freedom they had at their disposal. At the end of the day, what we're getting is a STAR WARS story, because this is set in the STAR WARS universe, and so it will always be STAR WARS.

Like Episode VII, you're not going to suddenly get something totally new. It'll still ultimately be the same old STAR WARS stuff, just like every Mickey film is always about the same old mouse.

Cad Bane likes this.
  9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    seems legit

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I thought it was creepier that thew drew Mon Mothma to look like an old man. :p

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    She is 48 at that point and under a lot of stress. o_O

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Squicky or not, it's a real element of their relationship at this point in time--for a series that's supposed to be so focused on the characters' mental state, to ignore their feelings for each other would've been a huge handicap to its believability.

13. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Leia's 'feelings' for Luke were never even hinted at in any of the finished product of the films. I can understand implying that Luke has feelings for Leia, but I never really found it believable that Leia had feelings for Luke. I really don't think there's anything in the films - aside from maybe one look during the Throne Room scene at the end of ANH - to suggest she might return the feelings he has for her.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  15. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Yeah, a kiss that is preceded by "Well I guess you don't know everything about women do you" to Han. Leia kissing someone to make the guy she *actually* likes jealous is pretty standard young woman, if not young person, behaviour.

I mean, for goodness' sake, she kisses Luke, smirks at Han and walks out the door. It is entirely for the benefit of annoying Han. That's it.

16. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    But the fact that she would even consider doing so shows that there's the possibility that she could hook up with Luke. It's miniscule, since she's kidding herself if she believes she doesn't want to be with Han, but it's there. Then of course there's that cut scene where they almost kiss in another part of the base.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    My read of the OT is that she feels something for Luke right away, but it's sisterly affection mistaken for romantic affection. That's why it didn't really go anywhere; she knew there was a connection, but she couldn't put her finger on it.

Ulicus and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Actually, I believe Mon Mothma was dressed like that in the cutscene from TIE Fighter when she met with the traitorous Admiral Harkov.

19. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Yeah, I see an immediate affinity (contrast this with the antagonistic relationship she has with Han from the get-go) but it's more of a camaraderie than romantic affection. Even as a preteen keen on romance, as I was when I watched the OT for the first time, anything I saw between Luke and Leia was one-sided.

20. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Mmm not really. There's only the 'possibility' because Luke has feelings for her. I don't think there's anything serious on her part.

And I wonder why they chose for that scene to be cut?

21. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wonder if Leia and Luke are going to kiss later on in this series.

If the writers want many fans to vomit, that would do the trick.

22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    And what, Luke quickly saying "No" to Han when he said that line about "a princess and a guy like me" was brotherly protectiveness? I'm sorry, but our OOU knowledge of their relationship is clouding our judgement when examining their interactions pre-ROTJ, though really pre-ESB, since that's where Han/Leia becomes more than mere flirtation and minor affection.

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I was talking about Leia's feelings. Of course Luke wants her--but Leia at that age is a lot better at parsing her own emotions than he is.

24. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Yeah, Luke has feelings for Leia but nothing in the final cut of the movies suggests she has romantic feelings for him. That's why I think it's very jarring to have Leia suddenly have implied feelings for Luke in this comic series.

25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I dunno, judging by the image themetresgained posted, as well as her attitude throughout the entire issue, you'd think her emotions are in turmoil at the thought of Luke acting cozy with another woman. I'm fairly certain what Mon Mothma is hinting at is that Leia is jealous, and I'll be damned if that's not Wood's intention.