main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I just saw a Disney World commercial that had Star Wars Weekend footage in it.

2. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    It's pretty rough, the characters they have up against each other are so hard to pick! I mean Ahsoka against Rex?!?! I love them both! Leia vs Padme? It will be hard to decide..

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Darth Maul is going to knock out Asajj Ventress, which will annoy me. :p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This is awesome.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  5. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Major congratulations to Coric for completing Mass Effect 1.

07jonesj likes this.
  6. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Wtf is up with ME2's controls. It's all different.
    Why do I have actual ammo now?
    WHAT IS GOING ON

07jonesj likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    See, I'm playing ME2 now, having not played the first one. I like the controls and setup, and can't complain since I have no basis for comparison, at least within this particular series. Then again, I barely play Xbox games at all, let alone shooters.

8. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    ASSUMING CONTROL OF THIS THREAD.

SHEPARD, SUBMIT NOW.

Coric Todd the Jedi YOU HAVE THE ATTENTION OF THOSE INFINITELY YOUR GREATER.

But in all due seriousness, the Mass Effect franchise IMO is one of the top sci-fi/space operas of this current generation. Bioware did a great job with the storytelling/RPG aspects, even if some of the creative decisions were questionable (*cough ME3 ending *cough). ME1 will always be dear to my heart for introducing me to this amazing universe, and overall ME2 is probably the most beloved in the franchise; the character development was impeccable. Overall though, ending aside, ME3 certainly had some of the best moments. In fact, the ME series is the only shooter I've ever enjoyed, as I'm normally not fond of FPS/TPS games. For those who haven't been exposed to the franchise, I recommend it if only for the numerous memes it has spawned in the gaming community.

9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    GoT Season 2 in Full HD: glorious.

07jonesj likes this.
  10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Independence Day, still a cool popcorn flick. "Welcome to earth!" -BAM!-

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  11. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    Speaking of movies, I just rewatched the Hobbit. Smeagol's cameo was probably one of the best in the last couple of years.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  12. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I just watched all of TCW Microseries for the second time, I really hope we get to see a the Battle of Coruscant in season six of TCW, it'd look so cool! And it's be great to see Grievous vs. Shaak Ti, what I hope they don't do is make Grievous kill Shaak Ti, giving her a fourth death...

13. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    She's in RotS; they wouldn't go that far. I wonder if the few arcs they will show actually reach the Battle of Coruscant.

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    It'll be interesting to find out exactly where TCW leads off and if this pilot in the works is an unexpected follow up after ROTS (because I think it'll be more related to Ep7).

15. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Ah true, she appeared in a hologram in ROTS so they can't kill her off. I dunno if they'll reach the Battle of Coruscant though, because if they were supposed to make two or more season of TCW, then that would be the last thing they'd show, but you never know.

16. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I like Mass Effect well enough, but as a setting, originality, and overall quality, it's just okay. Where it shines is character interaction. Bioware is good at using archetypes to make entertaining companions, but their skills at telling a story are just average. Small talk is great, big picture is weak.

Mass Effect 3's whole plot feels like a missed opportunity to me. So much of it is played safe, and then the WTF ending even with extended cut plays like someone desperately trying to give their story pathos by tacking a hackneyed DRAMA bit to the end of action schlock. It's like if you put the ending of Chinatown into the movie Crank. I don't think people would have cared if the ME3 ending was just "BIG EXPLOSION REAPERS DEAD WOO!" and left it at that. But throwing in a completely random element about the conflict between synthetics/organics made no sense, especially since everything the GodChild says was already debunked in the game with the Geth.

17. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I highly doubt it, unless Season 6 was decided to be the final season. I remember writers hinting at a Season 7, though (at least, I think).

The only way we'll get that last arc is if Disney allow them to make it. A possibility, it is.

I agree that BioWare's skills lie in their characters. The last DLC kind of comes out and admits that, with the whole thing just being focused on character interaction. Hell, what other video game has a 75-minute long party?

I disagree on ME3 playing it safe though. The game pretty much changed it's tone altogether, transforming from a sci-fi opera to a sci-fi opera war drama. It's pretty damn dark compared to the first two games. Yes, that's to be expected with the threat the Reapers pose.

18. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Haven't played ME3 yet, but I'd so love to do some re-calibrating with Garrus :p ... perhaps one day when it's in the bargain bin (that's how I stumbled across ME1 and 2, respectively, and all of Dragon Age).

19. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    pfft, good luck trying to get EA to drop prices. If Activision can still charge 60 bucks for Starcraft 2 while Heart of the Swarm JUST launched, do you think EA will ever drop their half baked baby?

20. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Mass Effect 3 is currently £14 ($17.50). Unfortunately, the main campaign is really supplemented by it's DLC, which not only fix the main plot with the Extended Cut and Leviathan, but also include the Citadel, which is quite frankly the end of the trilogy everybody expected.

The 4 story DLCs cost a whopping £32 ($40). Worked out at about 20 hours of content just for the DLC though, so I guess that's worth it.

21. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    I got ME1 and 2 for 10€ each which would be about 13$. Once ME3 is in that price range, I might get it. Up to then, I still have Minecraft and SWTOR to play. Oh yes, and I have FO3 I think. Need to remember where I put it.

22. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Buried I hope. Stick with New Vegas.

23. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    FO3>>>>FO:NV

07jonesj likes this.
  24. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I'm not a writer, but when it got to that final reveal "These are the Reapers' motives!" all I could think was "That was the best you could come up with?" Makes me wonder how they thought it would be something we couldn't comprehend. Maybe because it's so asinine and contradicted throughout the course of the game?

I definitely agree on the lacklustre plots. They've never been particularly outstanding. The magic is making us not care by giving us these characters that provide an alternative diving board for immersion. They really do, though I hate the cliche, bring it to life.

25. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I feel like they watched BSG, and decided to have that same level of crazy in their ending.

Thing is, it took 4 seasons for BSG to build that up, and BSG began as a religious, sci-fi, moral questioning series. Mass Effect certainly did not. The original ending is just shocking in how vague and how quickly the final scene is just skipped over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.