main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't forget Superman IV!

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Oddly enough, that'd be an interesting comparison: Terminator, Alien and JP all had third installments that were less popular than the first two films in their respective series (though one could argue the merits of A3 & T3, with the two former franchises later followed by a fourth film that did some/many things better than the the third but ultimately misfired in some significant way late in the film (Newborn in AR, the focus shift to Worthington's plot in TS).

Hopefully JP4 won't fall into the same trap.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I guess it depends where they go with the plot. Another movie where some people end up on one of the islands and spend the whole time running away from Dinosaurs would be OK but not exactly new given that's what TLW & JP3 were pretty much about.

JP1 had the interesting sub-plot about stealing Hammond's research, rather like the overall theme in the Alien movies of trying to get hold of an Alien for study and use and a weapon. It would be good if something like that was explored in JP4

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, I wouldn't call those the issues with those movies. TS didn't suffer from the Marcus Wright plotilne, it suffered from the expanded John Connor plotline due to Christian Bale's involvement and shoving what could've been an interesting storyline about a man finding his way through the apocalypse into the fringes of Bale's "yelling at things" show. And AR suffered from having Ripley, the everywoman of the trilogy, turned into Ripley 8, a half-xenomorph hybrid with superhuman powers (wtf, Whedon). The structural issue with these movies are way deeper than "just missing the point late in the film".

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd contend they were acceptable, if not outright enjoyable, until those points. It was a new take of Ripley, sure, and if thats a sticking point for you, I can see how they would affect the rest of your enjoyment.

I agree that the division between Connor and Marcus was the structural problem of TS- however the film's two weakest points (the extended, ultimately pointless, distraction of having Marcus escape from the Resistance base and the Skynet/HBC exposition unload) were due to the increased focus on Marcus, while pretty much everything before the awkward fade to black cutting out the sex scene and after You Could Be Mine was either evenly split or Connor-centric and ended up being very enjoyable.

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was extremely enjoyable.

solojones and spicer like this.
  7. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    No one would call M:I a dead franchise, though.

8. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    It's the same amount of time between Alien 3 and 4 as there was between M:I 3 and 4. And only one year more between Terminators 3 and Salvation.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    MI:3 didn't perform as well domestically as the first two did even though it was the best one at the time.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    M:I didn't kill its main character and/or destroy the world during its third installment, though, and it's way more episodic in nature. The comparison doesn't hold up.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Jaws 4. Now there's a classic.

12. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Colin Trevorrow tweeted today that none of the dinosaurs will have feathers.

13. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Why?

Why? The big point in the original novel and the first film was that the dinosaurs are very close to the birds, and that made them much cooler and deadlier compared to the old view of dinosaurs. So why don't they keep up with the science now?

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    As Grant said in JP3 - "What John Hammond and Ingen did at Jurassic Park was create genetically engineered theme park monsters".
    Given they have 6ft Velociraptors, T-Rexs that have motion-based sight and run at 32mph and a Dilophosaurus that has a frill and sprays venom I think it's safe to say these are not really proper Dinosaurs.

Also, wasn't it mostly smaller Dinosaurs that had feathers/downy fur? You're never going to see stuff like T-Rex covered in birght coloured plumage and its a big bet those are going to be the main feature Dinos anyway.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    To be fair, we don't know for sure about T-Rex's vision, or if Dilophosaurus had frills and venom, those things wouldn't show up in the fossil record :p

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's pretty likely T-Rex had decent eyesight given it was a predator. Plus the brain shape has been mapped and the optical centre was pretty big which suggests they had good eyesight.
    A frill might show up if it was bone with skin folds around it.

Weren't there camouflaging Canotauruses in one of the books? When you mess with genetics you get some crazy ****. Exactly why they used amphibian DNA and not bird is still lost on me.

17. Super_Battle_Droid

May 8, 2002
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    From my recent studies of TRex records, they were jolly, purple things, covered in fuzz and they enjoyed a good sing-song.

19. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
  20. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I also want the opening scene of this movie to be two Rexes grabbing the Spinosaurus and ripping him to pieces.

Preferably with one of them clamping down on his head and crushing it.

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I haven't been keeping up that much with paleontology news, but the amount we know about dinosaurs now versus when the first Jp came out is immense. I wonder how that will play into the new movie.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hopefully very little. ;)

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope there are zombies too.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    This.
    Damn Hollywood and its lack of understanding that just because something is bigger and scarier that doesn't make it better.

25. Super_Battle_Droid

May 8, 2002
    Just read the John Sayles version of the JPIV script, completely awful...[face_sick]