main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Were there any Jedi stronger than Yoda?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by BultarSwan, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    We all know Yoda was the be all end all of Jedi. But... was this an accurate expectation when he was younger? As he aged?

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    At the time? Anakin, only.

Afterwards? In theory all the Skywalker kin, but definitely Luke.

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    And you of course Sinre? Not Jedi, you....well, you know. Aren't you on that list? ;)o_O

4. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Hmm. If Luke and Yoda met when they were the same age (relatively speaking; for all we know, Yoda's childhood lasted 50 years or something), maybe Luke would tip the scales. It's a difficult question. I mean, Anakin had the most ridiculously high midichlorian count, but that really only measures potential. It's what you do with it that counts.

zompusbite likes this.
  5. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    I usually make a case for an anakin solo. Openly displaying force abilities including walking through force fields at the age of five, and became one with the force by the time of his premature death, something that the ghost of qui gon jin had to teach to yoda.

Sent via an irritable telegraph operator.

6. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Inb4 Revan etc.

I'd say Luke ultimately becomes just as, if not more powerful at some point.
    Not that I'd think either of them would care to be measured by their power.

zarkinfrood likes this.
  7. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
  8. Riveroll

Riveroll Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2013
    Yoda is the most powerful Jedi until Luke. Before that, there wasn't anyone who was as powerful as him. After all, he was stated to be Sidious' equal, who in turn was one of the most powerful Sith by then, if not the most powerful overall.

zompusbite likes this.
  9. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I'd say there are at least 4 maybe 5 Jedi with more potential than Yoda, but only one of them developed all their Force potential. I'd say those 4 are Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywalker, Leia Solo, Kyp Durron, and maybe Anakin Solo. Luke is the only one, IMO, who was stronger than him, despite the fact that Kyp had more potential.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Jedi Path (a training manual book), Yoda comments in a sidebar on how Grand Master Fae Coven was even better at telekinesis than he was (at least, after he passed 700).

11. Riveroll

Riveroll Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2013
    In terms of potential, I believe every Solo and Skywalker child had sufficient to surpass Yoda. However, only a few of them managed to exploit so much as to be able to surpass him. Only Luke and Jacen used their potential to the highest degree. Luke in his prime is way above Yoda.

I find that age doesn't have much to do with Yoda's abilities. He could've lived less and still be as powerful for all we know. He was Sidious' equal and Sidious was centuries younger.

12. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Master Thon?

zompusbite likes this.
  13. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Tell us more about Master Thon. I don't believe I'm familiar with that character. :)

Silas Nightstalker likes this.
  14. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
  15. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Interesting. Hmmm, then perhaps.

16. General Valerian

General Valerian Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 6, 2013
    Yoda was stated to be "The most devastating for the darkness has ever seen", in the RotS novelization, I believe.

He's demonstrated himself superior to the likes of Dooku, who in turn, is considered to be one of the Order's best of all time:

"The best of all would be the strongest student, yes? Wisest? Most learned in the ways of the Force? Best of all. Dooky would be! Our greatest student! Our greatest failure!" - Yoda.

Though, Yoda is not omniscient, his opinion is to be taken into account, and Yoda is superior to Dooku, and equal to Sidious', the most powerful Sith of all time.

In my opinion, there's nobody above Yoda before the PT. There might've been individuals with enough potential to suprass him, but never did.

JacensGirl likes this.
  17. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin Skywalker, because he was the Choosen One?

18. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    Being the chosen one has nothing to do with it. In Anakin lies the potential to be the most powerful (or at least it did until Kenobi burned the hell out of him) but as of RotS, he's not achieved his potential. That's why Palpatine tells Yoda that Darth Vader would become more powerful than either of them, and not that he already is.

19. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    I agree that I don't think anyone rivaled Yoda at the time, but as far as future Jedi....definately Luke. He was after all what his father was supposed to be had he not fallen. Jacen Solo, I think its the only one that rivaled Luke at this point in the EU.

JacensGirl likes this.
  20. JarenJade

JarenJade Jedi Master star 1

Aug 28, 2009
    No one has thrown Mace Windu's name into the conversation? I'd say Mace, and the evidence I'd site would be both fought the same opponent: Darth Sidious. Windu beat him in a straight up contest, whereas Yoda did not.

Hansa likes this.
  21. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Good point, Jaren. I happen to agree with your analysis.

The fact is that Yoda greatly surpassed anyone in the Order in age. That alone gives an individual a much greater chance of becoming GM. There is no doubt that Yoda was powerful, but he had almost a millennium to hone his skills. If Windu could beat Sidious in a lightsaber duel, it makes me wonder what he would be capable of if he had, say, another 700 years.

22. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I always thought Sidious let Mace win so Anakin would turn to the darkside once Mace decided not to give Sidious a fair trial. That's just what I thought.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Opinion is divided on the subject. I've seen claims that somewhere, Lucas stated that "Mace beat Sidious fairly".

24. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    It looked that way to me too, Awesomejedi.

25. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    Nope, he didn't let Windu win. I believe the RotS novelization makes it quite clear that both were fighting at a fierce pace and going all-out on each other.

But the only reason Windu actually defeated Palpatine was due to two peculiar and mostly unheard of abilities: Vaapad and Shatterpoint.

"The practitioner of Vaapad would accept the fury of their opponent, transforming them into one half of a superconducting loop, with the other half being the power of darkness inherent in the opponent."
    - Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

Vaapad is much more effective against dark siders, as it uses the darkness of the opponent against him/herself.

That, and the fact that the novel makes it quite clear that Vaapad and Shatterpoint are indeed what kept Windu on pace with Palpatine, prove these abilities were the only reason he was able to defeat him.

Other than the statement that Yoda is Palpatine's equal, in terms of pure bladework and TK, he is Windu's superior and the Sith Lord's only equal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.