main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT where to watch PT fan edit?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Chainmail_Jedi, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
  2. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    In the comfort of your own home. I hear they are available via torrent, though such tings aren't allowed to be discussed here, and there is no way you would catch me downloading stuff from strange computers, so I wouldn't be able to tell you where to find them.

I do, however, have a suggestion. Make your own.

There are scripts that are available to follow. Some of the more brilliant edits take a few hours of dedicated effort, but in the case of movies like the PT and Prometheus it is well worth learning how and doing it.

This method also has the added benefit of not making you guilty of trafficking in pirated copies.

3. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    People are doing fan-edits of "Prometheus" now? Christ.

Oh, and can we get a lock? Put this thread out of our misery.

4. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    GL opened people's eyes to the possibilities when he did his fan edit of the OT. Now if ANY director screws up a movie, all you have to do is wait a few months and someone who is better at it will put out a better version. Yay George Lucas for pioneering the digital editing that makes fixing these movies possible. [face_party]

5. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    :rolleyes: An original filmmaker's edict > some pissy fanboy's wishful thinking.

6. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    No, most changes (most) are extermely offensive to older fans.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Even if true, it's irrelevant.

8. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Under what terms is it irrelevant?

9. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    it's irrelevent because the user deemed it irrelevent, obviously ;)

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Find a PT fan who works as an editor, and ask if you can observe them on the job.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  11. VMeran

VMeran Jedi Master star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    I think that what he meant was that because George Lucas is the filmmaker, he has the right to change his own movies. ;)

12. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Star Wars has become a cultural thing now. It's no longer solely GL's vision that matters anymore. As fans we are more powerful than Lucas, we can overthrow him, and make Star Wars the way we want it to be. lol

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  13. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    To get back on topic and away from the personal attacks made by the people aren't able to cope with the concept behind the discussion, the most common way to watch fan edits is to just get some cheap vid capture software and watch GL's version while capturing it in the editable format of your choice. Having to slog your way through the GL version is easier than it sounds as long as you keep in mind that this is the last time you will ever find yourself subjected to his pacing and lack of editing skills. If you aren't an fx guy, it's mostly just a matter of sticking it in windows free movie maker and cutting it the way you want from there. If you have after effects chops, of course, you can get fancier, but there's no real reason to let lack of skill hold you back. Almost any hack that wants to follow a fan edit script can pull this off, and it will only take you a couple of hours, (tops,) to get the hang of it.

Sound is slightly more complicated, you will need the free version of karaoke creation software Audacity to remove specific vocals and smooth out the music with overlays from the soundtrack CDs.

Total, it costs about $30ish + the cost of legally purchasing the movie and soundtrack to make your own edits.

And like I pointed out earlier, if you have no concept of how to start, most fans post scripts, (though not Topher,) of the specific edits they have made which you can follow and get your editor's feet under you. After your first edit, you will be amazed at how easy it is to create totally original derived works.

Keep in mind that in the specific case of the PT, the good movie really is hiding just under the surface of GL's version and you don't really need much more than Windows Movie Maker to fix the parts he screwed up. The best scripts out there remove about 20 mins of each of the movies, mostly smoothing out Jake, Hayden, and Natalie's performances to remove the unnecessary lines, (thus cutting down on the cheesy acting factor,) doing away with midichlorians, overlong sequences like the bongo ride, pod race, Coruscant chase, Grevious chase, and the "humor". Other basics include removing the more ridiculous portions of the lightsaber battles... reducing the bit where Anakin holds out his arm for Dooku to chop it off, the infamous helicopter move on Mustafar and so on. I've also heard a legend of a script in which Jar Jar dies and is never seen again, but that one takes inserting some footage and is not a beginner's level move.

Since getting into fan edits, I really find myself becoming a fan of the PT again and I highly recommend it for anyone who has lost the Star Wars love because of what GL did to it. :D

I hope this helps. I invite anyone that would like, to pm me if they wish to avoid the fan-on-fan hate in which the apologists engage when the more reasonable people attempt to discuss this topic in peace.

14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    This! So this!!

LOL I see what you did there. Also it points to another thing: there are NO fan-edits to the PT done by people who are actually fans of the PT. They are all done by PT haters.

Absolutely correct!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    That would be the first time in the PT forum that PT haters have been called the "more reasonable" ones. What a joke!!
    I hope this ridiculous thread gets locked.

Andy Wylde, Valairy Scot and Samnz like this.
  16. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    ...so like I was saying, if you want to have an intellectually honest chat about how to edit and fix the PT, without the constant harassment from the anger boys in this forum, PM me.

17. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.