main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Transition between trilogies - from the physical to the spiritual

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Cornish, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    I was thinking about that interview with Mark Hamill from back in '83 where he talks about 'another plane of existance' etc in the ST. On face value it appears to suggest Luke may be appearing as a force ghost.

However i wonder if given that statement and given what we have seen in the existing trilogies we can extrapolate a bit more from that - a gradual movement from a physical focus to a spiritual one?

PT:
    The force is referred to by its physical context - midichlorians.
    Only hints about the afterlife/being one with the force.
    The battles mostly concern manufactured biological beings and droids.

OT:
    The force is referred to in its spiritual context.
    Force ghosts/afterlife become much more apparent.
    Battles concern humans/aliens fighting each other - with some input from Obi wan as a force ghost

ST...?
    Full nature of the force is revealed.
    Ability for force ghosts to interact with physical world is expanded / developed?
    Battles concern physical beings and force ghosts? Possibly on 2 different planes of existance, possibly not.

An early ROTJ screenplay mentioned Ben and Yoda returning from the netherworld - perhaps this idea may yet be used (though presumeably not Ben and Yoda?)

Thoughts anyone?

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Its a very interesting concept, and I for one am very intrigued by the concept of the Force Ghosts and very much want to learn more about them in the Sequel Trilogy, but I'm not exactly sure just how well a second plane of existence would fit in with the established Star Wars mythology. I'm definitely going to keep an open mind, however.

3. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    You seem to take it too far. I agree with revealing the full nature of the force. We could see more of how the two worlds interact. However, there should only be a few scenes with force ghosts. I would not mind a brief look into the netherworld of the force.

4. Darth Cornish

Nov 7, 2000
    Of course it would still be in the usual SW context of space battles etc, this would just be a new aspect of the ST.

5. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    Part of the problem is that I haven't seen it and can't fully imagine what you're talking about. We'll see when the movie comes out, unless you can give me a detailed example of what it might look like.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah I like the ambiguousness of Force Ghosts.

thesevegetables likes this.
  7. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I think the entire movie should be force ghosts hanging out in the netherworld.

8. Resolution

Resolution Jedi Padawan

Mar 12, 2013
    I wonder if Qui Gon will be in the ST at all. Not that he has to be. Just curious. I mean the movies doesn't need to be filled with force ghosts, but only what is needed for the story.

9. Darth Cornish

Nov 7, 2000
    Your guess is as good as mine! It just seemed like there may be a pattern towards the more spiritual aspects of the saga.
    Also how a jedi becomes one with the force has yet to be explained. GL said he would explain it in Sith but didn't. Maybe that will be part of it?

Dra--- and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  10. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013

Would certainly be interesting to see.

Another great spot to potentially see Qui-Gon again would be in an Obi-Wan spin-off. Lets say, for example, that in the time between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope when Obi-Wan is supposed to be watching over Luke, something comes up and he is forced to leave Tatooine for a little while. Who better to look over Luke in Obi-Wan's absence than Qui-Gon?

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Astral! should be the new cool slang word to replace "wizard".

All battles in the ST should take place on the astral plane. Yes, even the fleet battles.

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    They should make a Paranormal Activity rip-off where Force Ghosts are haunting Padme's apartment.

13. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Make the Force Ghost Darth Maul and you get Star Wars Episode 1.5: Insidious. :p

StarWarsVerses likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That was a really great movie up until the last idiotic and nonsensical 5 minutes.

15. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    On deathsticks.

16. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    The three aspects of the Force are explored throughout the saga - the living force, the transcendent force, and the unifying force. These spiritual paradigms are the basis of the mythology behind the force throughout the saga.

17. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    Supposed to explain it, Qui-Gon's ghost was. From the movie, it was cut out. In the screenplay and novel, find it you will. Too important to cut out it was. Unfortunate it is. Explains much it does. (Don't ask me why I felt like posting it in yoda speak.)

18. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    Featuring the ever-tormented Dormé. Sidious indeed.

19. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think the OT makes it pretty clear that the force ghosts aren't able to directly involve themselves. ObiWan tells Luke in no uncertain terms that he won't be able to interfere if Luke chooses to go off and face Vader.

Any Force Ghosts should be limited in scope.

20. Darth Cornish

Nov 7, 2000
    With the exception of a brief mention by Qui-Gon at the beginning of TPM that Obi-Wan should be mindful of the living force i have no idea how these 3 aspects are explored throughout the saga. Can you explain this please?

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    They aren't.

Vthuil and Darth_Cornish like this.
  22. Darth Cornish

Nov 7, 2000
    Know this i do. Most Star Wars fans know this too, i suspect. Still unexplained within the films, it is. (Ask i will not. Ask you must not).

23. Darth Cornish

Nov 7, 2000
    Thats what i thought...

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    We know that Force Ghosts can talk.

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I personally don't even buy into those terms much. I think what we learn about the force from Yoda in TESB is far more useful. And Lucas probably would have been better served keeping his PT more in line with that Yoda.