main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The Office UK] Brent's Back

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Mar 16, 2013.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So Ricky Gervais, with his infinite money and ownership of the character, has decided to start producing some YouTube shorts catching us up on what's been going on with David Brent 10 years on from the broadcast of The Office for Red Nose Day.

Some funny moments. But let's be honest, what it makes you really want is to see the video, which is awesome:

I know it was for Red Nose Day, but it sort of sounded from some reports like he might do some more shorts.

Eeth-my-Koth likes this.
  2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I saw the video on RND last night. Really made me laugh, most specifically seeing Brent again. However, I do worry that there's a risk of undermining Brent's appeal if we see more of him. After all, he's a very annoying and (critically) truly unlikable person, characteristics that might not play out quite so effectively if we see him more and more often. All we even needed to understand Brent, and judge him, were the 14 episodes of The Office. New material can't add anything. I know the American Office ran on and on and on, but successful US TV doesn't have the luxury of keeping something perfect, of stopping because you want to. Plus, IMHO Gervais' Brent is a degree above anything the US version ever mustered (not that it wasn't good). I'm disappointed in you, Ricky.

The same thing (I feel) has happened to Alan Partridge. I wish Coogan had left him behind years ago.

Darth Punk likes this.
  3. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I always found Brent without the other Office characters to be more depressing than funny. A few funny moments in the video though. Really no need for this, though.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013

You're going to be disappointed. REALLY disappointed.

It does look good, though! The lack of Merchant's involvement is a big concern, and I don't know I can sit through 90 minutes of Brent.

TX-20 likes this.
  5. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Between this and the Rogue One teaser, I'll be cumin for days.

Diggy likes this.
  6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It should just be "The Office". The Office (US) was the copy...

TX-20 likes this.
  7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I fully understand that. But the original hadn't been on the air for years when this thread was posted, while the US Office was on the air at the time.

So. It was only logical. I didn't want people to think I was talking about the then-current US show (where Brent had also appeared). I wanted to make sure they knew I was talking about the superior one.

Now for the record, I share Everton's worry that Brent is being a bit overdone now... Yet of course I can't help but watch still.