main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Opening Crawl and General Thematic Changes?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by episodenone, Jan 30, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There will be an opening crawl, but it will be ye olde English.

2. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Negative.

It will be coded in the Bushman Click Language. It will be impossible to read, only to be verbally translated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khoisan_languages

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Geez I was only kidding.

It's actually going to be in Morse code.

4. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Episode VII
    The Attack of the Plague
    Forsooth! Dark times hath caused the New Republic much malaise.​
    The outer rim hath been struck down by interminable disease. Mostly likely interned and spread by dastardly SITH RATS.​
    The reformed Council has bequeathed Jedi Knight LUKE SKYWALKER to henceforth investigate this new threat.​
    In the midst of yonder mirth, HAN SOLO hath cometh to the side of LEIA ORGANA who hath suffered greatly with the sickness.​
    HAN, with naught to do but prey, hath tasked LANDO CALRISSIAN and his old chum CHEWBACCA to venture forth on yon quest to recover a rare crystal.​
    Ye olde crystal is said to provide yon wearer with much relief from the blighted curse.​

stormcloud8 and lbr789 like this.
  5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    This trilogy will have its own individual signature just like the other 2 trilogies; however, the "A long time ago" bit must lead in, we must have the opening crawl, those things are requirements to be a part of this series of SW movies IMO.

SnakeWesker likes this.
  6. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    He doesn't have to pay a fine for leaving them out. Lots of movies sdo this now. I just watched Stardust back in November -- no credits at the beginning. Major motion picture with A-list actors. Credits before SW = not happening.

The very beginning of the film -- Lucafilm shimmer -- A long time ago . . . -- John Williams theme intro to the opening crawl are all going to remain.

Swipes or wipes between scenes will also remain.

John Williams score is a very likely, but not guaranteed although he'll definitely be asked first and I foresee no reason he wouldn't do it.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Good catch Echo-07! Technically we are both right (from a certain point of view). Per wikipedia:

However in that same article they mention:

George Lucas is credited with popularizing this with his Star Wars films which display only the film's title at the start. His decision to omit opening credits in his films Star Wars (1977) and The Empire Strikes Back (1980) led him to resign from the Directors Guild of America after being fined $250,000 for not crediting the director during the opening title sequence.

Looks like Uncle George got the short end of the stick again. He got fined, but it looks like it is okay to do.. The guy just can't get a break..

Echo-07 likes this.
  8. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Oh, yeah. I wans't disputing that George got fined and then left the DGA. But since the 80's his trend has picked-up more and more as you listed.

9. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Ye olde Basick, thou freddled gruntbuggly.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Beastie Boys are now "Luke's Theme". This is how to properly reintroduce important genre characters. I want to hear Sabotage while Luke is looking introspecitvely at the suns on Tattooine.

11. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Star Wars is a visual masterpiece, with so much that is, quite plainly, iconic, right down to the bones of every film enthusiast. I expect John Williams scores, a classic opening crawl, and even the famous scene swipes. These are cues that are memorable, not simply nostalgic. You require these to capture the essence of this franchise as a visual medium just as the previous six films, even the cartoon did. Star Wars belongs in the cinema, and were it to lose any of its iconography, that would crush me.

DarthBreezy and Echo-07 like this.
  12. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Totally wrong. The credits first thing has been missing from literally 1000's of movies.

GL was the first to fight that battle -- but its no longer an issue. Hasn't been forever.

13. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    To me, and I think MOST fans, the setup at the start IS Star Wars. We wont have the fanfare but I really hope they leave the rest. Crawl then pan down then some ship and or planet then a cool opening line. No credits till the iris out end titles.

But then, isn't that a Lucas touch? JJ will want to express his own style. Sigh. "Winds of Change" cue: The Scorpions

14. visionz13

visionz13 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    No More 20th Century Fox Logo and Theme before the movie begins. To me this is a staple of the Star Wars movies, and I am actually sad it won't be used anymore.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  15. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I hadn't thought of that but it is kind of sad. I associate that with Star Wars even when I see it in other movies

DarthBreezy likes this.
  16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I swear, it'll be tempting to go to the midnight premier with a boombox and play the Fox theme first...

17. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

18. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    No, this is Disney. Hannah Montana!

Honestly, the only thing I'm worried about is Disney maybe putting in opening credits. I don't think they will, but you never know.

19. LordThrawnStark

LordThrawnStark Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    Just because disney purchased Lucasfilm, doesn't mean it's going to put it's logo before the film. I don't recall seeing it before Avengers, and Disney owns marvel. Lucas \film is the Studio, and Disney is just the parent company.
    '

DowClimber likes this.
  20. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    There will be one change to the opening:

"Not quite as long ago. In a galaxy far, far away..."

DowClimber and SnakeWesker like this.
  21. Darth Gumby

Darth Gumby Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2013
    It's been said before - watch the Disney logo before Tron: Legacy - they'll do something similar to that, but in a Star Wars-y vein.

And then this will show...
    [​IMG]

and then the Lucasfilm logo...

22. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Like I'm getting used to the fact the new 'Man Of Steel' movie will not use the iconic John Williams Superman march, they're doing this to signal a new approach to the film franchise. Fair enough.

So the fact this is going to continue a 6 story saga, I fully expect the logos of whoever wants to be noted and then as if nothing else has changed, the 'A long time ago...' card followed by THAT theme and THAT crawl! If not, it's not the continuation of the Star Wars story we know!