main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #3: In the Shadow of Yavin, part 3 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Dec 12, 2012.

1. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Well, duh! Nobody's saying that's not Wood's intention or it's all a big mistake. That's what makes it jarring because in the films no such emotional turmoil is suggested on the part of Leia with regards to Luke. It's weird for two reasons: because it's out of character for her re: the films, and because we know what comes next so it's safer to play down that aspect of their relationship in any other media. I haven't read any of the media that's set in between the OT films, but I think it's a safe bet that any romantic feelings aren't discussed in detail for the simple reason that we know they're twins and it's a bit creepy.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Marvel comics and Splinter of the Minds Eye do go into it.

3. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Re: Splinter, I was obviously talking about the stuff that was written after the entire trilogy was released. If you don't know they're siblings then sure, whatever, but if you do - and your audience does too - then it's creepy.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Jus' saying. I think it's in-character for them to behave this way, based solely off ANH. SOTME is a perfect example of a natural progression of their interactions with each other from ANH.

And again, you only think it's creepy because of OOU knowledge. I don't know if you were around when SOTME came out, but if you were you'd probably agree with me.

5. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    That doesn't address my contention at all, but whatever.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, I think this discussion's run its course anyway. Let's agree to disagree. [face_peace] Just be thankful there are no Luke/Leia shippers here.

7. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    My thoughts exactly.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Be thankful the Internet didn't exist in 1977, otherwise there would be some very embarrassed folks...

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Other than Marvel comics authors? [face_batting]

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    People that can't figure out Bespin was a gas giant have no shame... :p

Gorefiend likes this.
  11. Cad Bane

Cad Bane Jedi Knight

Mar 10, 2013
    Would've replied to this sooner but I've been busy. Playing with my new Fall of Cybertron Ultra Magnus action figure.

ANYWAY:

I like that it's a well-written series with great characterization. I like the fact that it doesn't need to reinvent the wheel. All it needs to do is tell a good story and it's doing so. That's a success in my book.

Honestly, I'm not really concerned about some of the things that have been brought up in this thread. Death Star The Sequel? 20 years working on the first gave them the experience and know-how to speed up construction of the second. Not to mention plenty of credits and labor. That's how they were able to get so much fast in so little time. Why wasn't there much more progress between what we saw in the comic and what's in ROTJ? Eh, could be any number of issues. Credits could start to run thin. Being diverted to any number of other little super projects the Empire had going on during the Galactic Civil War that needed immediate attention, i.e., things like the T.I.E. Phantom project or more SSDs or the Eclipse-class Super Star Destroyer. Labor is always an issue, too. They also could have taken the time to adjust certain design flaws. Like the infamous exhaust port.

As for the Executor? Wasn't the timeline of that already thrown off due to TFU? This is coming off the top of my head with no Wookiepedia searches but it was pretty damn far in completion during the events of Rhett's First Excellent Adventure.

Lastly, the Luke/Leia thing. My reading of the relationship Pre-TESB was that yes she had feelings for Luke but wasn't exactly sure what those feelings were. And I agree with Coop that you really can't ignore that if you wanna write a believable story set during that time period even if you end up feeling creep out by it.

Or you could just think Leia was being jelly with Wedge in solidarity. Keep your hands off his Wormie!

You can thank George Lucas for that double entendre.

Gorefiend and instantdeath like this.
  12. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Not to mention Alan Dean Foster.

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    He at least did not have them kiss several times. :oops:

14. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Probably because he only got one chance. :p

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, let's see:

Point 1: There's 3 years between ANH and ESB so plenty of time for this whole thing to vanish and indeed not feature at all in ESB.

Point 2: Quite, it would take some very careful handling which is likely why it hasn't been explored all that much, but that shouldn't block it off at this point in time either, the Q is going to get asked. I think Wood has the skills to be able to do this just fine and Leia being jealous isn't without precedent either - see Luke's kiss with Tanith Shire in the Goodwin-Williamson Classic Star Wars story.

16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I recall reading an article last year or the year before about the rise in siblings who didn't realise that they were siblings, whether due to adoption, shared sperm donors, etc, who have often ended up in relationships, and even married, before finding out, and whose attraction to each other was directly because of how much they unconsciously found they had in common with one another. So, if anything, I'd have said there'd be a continuity error with the films if Wood didn't acknowledge the chemistry between the pair, as it's not Luke and Leia's fault that they don't understand why they're naturally attracted to one another, but they are naturally attracted to each other, so it can't not form part of their characterisations.

Awkward to watch in retrospect? Sure thing. But then, so is ESB by that take, yet Lucas could have edited that out in the Special Editions had he wanted to, so if Lucas treats their mishaps as part of who they are, that's just what the films have already done.

Wood can only work with the material Lucas has left him...

17. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    While I think Leia having feelings of jealousy re: Luke in this series is within the realm of possibility, it's by no means absolutely vital to include because it's a logical possibility not a logical necessity. Given that I don't know why it wasn't just left alone.

But yeah, this discussion is settled etc.

18. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    [face_laugh]

Hopefully this will be the focus of one of Disney's spinoff films.

19. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Wait....has Han's bounty hunter encounter on Ord Mantell really never been told?

There's a small piece of lore from the films that hasn't been hammered into a fine paste?

I hope it's never touched...in a franchise where they have to explain why people change pants, I'm kinda happy to have an untold story.

20. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    It's been told like 8 different times. That's my point. People need to shut up about things they have no idea about.

21. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Yeah I was being facetious. But on that note it's my hope that further spinoffs will focus on the theft of the Death Star plans, the aftermath of the Battle of Yavin, a two-hour retelling of the Battle of Hoth, and the Clone Wars. Again.

Ulicus , krtmd and Zorrixor like this.
  22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Just a two-hour retelling? Come on. This is the age of Lord of the Rings. It should be a 3-hour EPIC, with a further hour in the Extended Cut.

23. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I wish the extended cuts for all the films - well at least the PT - existed *sigh* I would love to to an extended cut binge like I did for LOTR once.

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh you can still get close to 9 hours just watching the 3 OT movies and the one not terrible PT movie. ;)

25. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    You can get over nine hours just watching all the different versions of ANH.

The2ndQuest , Zorrixor and Gorefiend like this.