main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Anakin Solo in the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So what did everyone think of Leia naming a son after her father Anakin Skywalker?
    Did anyone not like that choice?
    I like it as you can probably tell by my avatar.
    Great conclusion to Leia's and Anakin Skywalker's arc to me. I don't like kids getting name after dead people, Harry Potter put me off that with Albus Severus, James Sirius and Lily Luna, mainly the first one but in this case it feels that Leia forgave Anakin for his crimes and wanted to honor the good man Anakin Skywalker was.
    Anakin Solo having to deal with dreams of falling to the Dark Side and becoming like Vader was a great plotline in JJK for me.
    Thoughts?

2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I know one person who didn't.

3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I liked it. It shows Leia forgiving her father, something that wasn't easy and gives that storyline closure and a nice ending I always felt

4. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm okay with it.
    I'm just glad it wasn't him who became a Sith Lord.

DarthRelaxus and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I, too, have read Dark Empire II.

:p

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I sort of wish they had Leia and Vader interact in ROTJ.
    Alternate version of ROTJ where the Rebels attack Coruscant. Luke and some men are surrounded by Vader and some of the 501st and Luke gives himself up to save his men. Have a short duel between Luke and Vader. The men return to Leia and Han and those two lead a mission to save Luke from the Emperor and Vader. Leia is told before this and it is found out by Vader and Palpatine. Palpatine is defeated and all try to escape the Palace. Vader and Leia have a conversation and possibly hash out their differences and Vader dies of his wounds once outside.
    Basic description anyway.

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. That was a terrible decision. Anakin Solo was killed because Lucas thought we might confuse him with his grandfather. Thank heavens they did not ruin his character like that. Even though it didn't look like Anakin was going to follow his grandfather's path anyway.

8. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    How so? the Quite brother was slated to be the hero, and the actiony brother was to die? How would Anakin avoid getting torpedoed by Denning?

yodasbum likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I did not care for Jacen in the early stages of the NJO. Loved him in the YJK series but preferred Anakin by a mile. I appreciate Jacen more now but would have liked Anakin to live. All 3 kids together would have been amazing. I don't know how he could have escaped Denning killing him off eventually because he would have died eventually but it would have been nice to see Anakin's full potential unless they stupidly decided to make him evil just like his namesake.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Would anyone have preferred it if Anakin was named Bail Solo instead?

thesevegetables likes this.
  11. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Really, though, seems like a marketing thing for me.

12. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    No, Jimmy Solo would be the superior name.

Manisphere likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It never bothered me that Anakin was named Anakin and not something else until I was commenting in the Episode 7 forum in the Episode 7 and EU thread. It doesn't bother me now thinking about it but I can see why people might not like it.

14. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Eh, My biggest problem with the name "anakin", is that leia never knew "Anakin", and Vader was just Palpatines hatchet man. In the grand scheme of things not overly important to her life as a whole. I don't see why she would care enough to name one of her children after him.

kubricklynch likes this.
  15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    She was visited by Anakin's Force spirit at leas once.

I think when Veitch named Anakin Solo that, he was probably thinking more along the lines of Leia wanting to redeem the name than that she'd forgiven her father. One thing she knew about Anakin was that when he finally emerged from the darkness of Vader, he saved her brother and tossed the nasty old Emperor down the Death Star's abyss and thus saved the whole freaking galaxy.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Save the whole galaxy from IG88's deathstar body? Wasn't that lando?

Or that Palps came back like a roach infestation?

17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I never read that IG88 story, or I read it once, therefore it's not canon. It's a dumb story.

Palps coming back has so many angles to address... point is, Endor basically broke the Empire. It fractured pretty quickly after that into numerous warlords and within 5 years the Rebels had taken Imperial Center. Even though they were driven off by the time of DE... that Empire couldn't old it together long enough for the Alliance not to be back on Coruscant immediately after Clone Palp #2 was gone and his spirit trapped in the Force by Brand and every other Jedi that had ever joined the Force.

18. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Endor broke the empire because (This is my personal theory) because the empire is a system of egoism, to palpatine, of human high culture, to the egotism of the moffs and the various psychopaths the system palpatine placed to put into power.

A defeat like endor is bad but it likely wouldn't have broken most powers. Is what happend after the Battle of Endor mostly doe to Vader or an inherant weakness in the system Palps set up.

but that is a level of nerdiness that exceeds the boundries of the threads paramiters.

Where whas I going with all this?

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Fear of Palpatine and Vader kept everything together up to that point. After they died everyone was for themselves. Palpatine and Vader would kill anyone that resisted. Why should the remaining leaders fear the others that remained?

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Possibly because those others have big ships with big weapons.

Anyone in possession of an Executor-class ship is going to have more leverage. If they have a big fleet as well, that's even better.

It's when there's no one significantly more powerful warlord, that there is strife and war.

21. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    One more for thing,

Lando would never have destroyed IG88's Death Star body if Palpatine's Sith Battle Meditation wasn't broken by being thrown down an abyss in said body and dark side exploded because of Vader. :p

22. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    I disagree. The Empire had a very skilled army. I don't think their success depended on Palpatine's force powers (ie, Battle Meditation).

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ewoks ringing any bells?

24. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    like a splinter in my mindseye

25. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I just want to say this thread is delivering on so many levels.