main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was bringing back Maul a good idea?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CaptainRex115, Mar 16, 2013.

?

Was brining back Maul a good idea

1. Yes!

40.7%
  2. Nah

38.4%
  3. Not sure

20.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    Now that his story is over, Was brining back the mysterious sith lord a good idea?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm actually having a bit of a hard time choosing my answer... At first I hated the idea of Maul comming back, however this was back before I ever saw any TCW besides part of Season 1. I hated the series and anything to do with it. Obviously, my views have made a complete 180. So after getting into TCW, brining maul back was awesome. I got into the series after season 4 aired and before season 5 came out. So I only had the 2 episodes at the end of Season 4 for Maul. I thought he was EPIC in Revenge, and I was extremely excited for season 5. I thought Maul would be like a re-occuring villain of season 5, and would be seen in many episodes doing his revenge plot. However, my expectations were shot down in season 5. To say the least we barley got any Maul. it was short, but it was damn sweet. Revival, Eminence, Shades of Reason, and the first half of Lawless were great. They really did Maul justice. Savage really complimented Maul, and in my opinion their duo rivals the anakin/obiwan duo as the greatest master/apprentice duo in star wars history. Savage and Maul were both fleshed out into amazing and interesting characters. However, they were both shot down by the ultimate plot cop-out that is Sidious. Seriously I hated that so much. It was so anti-climactic and uninteresting. I almost feel like brining him back accomplished little -to nothing... At first I was 0% for Maul, then 100%, now I'm in more of a grey area... probably 60% yes 40% no.. I dunno, I feel like they did the character no justice, and while it was great to see him and sam witwer did an AMAZING job I still feel like he should have done so much more. Not only is Maul my favorite sith lord, but he's probably my 2nd favorite Star Wars character of all time. I know many people will say that Maul's story is not over....In reality, it probably is. The Show is cancelled, and we got a pretty decent conclusion. We could just assume that Sidious kept Maul and experimented on him.

What say you?

2. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I know I'm gonna get growled at for saying this, but I think bringing back Maul was the best thing they've done in TCW, the storylines they've created around him have been amazing and the fight scenes he's been in have been some of the best in the whole series.

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Bringing him back - nix that. Bad, bad idea.

But now that they did and we can't undo it - they did a brilliant job of it.

So I didn't vote because they shouldn't have brought him back, but they did well with it.

4. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    I agree. The idea to bring him back is probably the best idea in Star Wars history besides making the prequels. Having said that, I think they could have done Mauls story a lot better. Make him a bigger threat, a reoccurring villain, give him 10 episodes a season or at least this season. I feel like his ending was so damn anti climactic tho...

5. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    Well, basically the point of this thread is to say that now was it a good idea to bring him back. After seeing his entire story, would you have rather him never been brought back in the first place or are you glad with what TCW has done

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Yeah, a few more episodes or arcs based around Maul would have been great, we would have probably gotten that if TCW continued through to season seven or eight like it was supposed to, but I'm just hoping we get a last arc showing his fate in season six to wrap everything up with him.

7. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    Being completely honest here, I hope we don't see Maul again in TCW. Especially not in a "mop up" arc. That serves the character no justice whatsoever. Just bring him back to get killed off and thats it. I prefer them leaving his ending open like they did now. Cause a "mop up" arc is pointless and is garbage story telling and is just a plot cop-out.

8. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  9. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    Always nice to hear from the resident Clone Wars haters...

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Pretty much this. My initial reaction to them bringing him back was along the lines of "AW HELL NAW", and I still think it was a horrible idea. Pure publicity stunt. Still, the actual execution was pretty well done, and we're even getting an all-new Maul prison book next year.

Maybe the thread would work better as "Did you like the direction they took with Maul as a character?", or something. [face_peace]
    It's more like a "love to hate" thing.

SithStarSlayer and QuangoFett like this.
  11. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm a fan of the choice if it means Old Wounds is canonised.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    hmm...nah. The thread is titled perfectly, but it's taken out of context. People are thinking more like "Would you bring maul back" which is not the point. It's supposed to be, that now everything is set and done do you think that brining him back was a good or a bad idea.

13. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    I'm a SW movie fan, so for me, it was good to see what kind of person he really is. I wasn't too happy with "At last we reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge." Doesn't really say much. However, it would be awkward if he had any influence whatsoever in the Clone Wars. It just doesn't feel right. Turns out that he doesn't, but his character was brilliant enough for the show. So SW story-wise, it's not a good idea to bring him back; for the show, it was a good idea.

You post this a lot in LACWAC, but I can't stop laughing every time I see it... [face_laugh] J. Jonah Jameson's a legend. Hope the actor returns for the sequel in the Emma Stone sequel.
    My favorite:

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Man, I don't want to say bringing him back was a good idea. Dead should be dead and should remain dead. Bad, bad idea to reverse that. I'm never going to reverse my position on that (now, should Mace have survived his fall, I might buy that as we didn't see him die although the execution might be terrible).

But if the vote is how he was handled once the decision to bring him back was done - yes, good move. He should have had a few mini scenes here and there during the season, but my fears of how he would be handled were overcome.

07jonesj likes this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    For the overall story, NO, bring back dead character is no good, especially later materials, including EP III novel mentioned he was killed on Naboo,
    For TCW, very good and could be better. He is by far the most successful villain in TCW, terrifying, cunning and had his achievement, his character was developed well compare to the movies. However his arc is too short and rushed base on his relationship with other characters, not just Obi Wan, but Dooku and Anakin. Yes he didn't die but now we might never be able to see his later story.

The reason I want to see Maul meet Anakin and Dooku is that they never had a chance to meet him and let us see how do they react before him, how do they express their hate against Maul for obvious reason. Obi Wan already met and fought him in the movie.

DavidIX likes this.
  16. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I've gotta admit, I'd be more than okay with using Old Wounds to resolve Maul's new lease on life.

As for the thread topic:
    When I first heard about the idea, I was...less than enthused. It wasn't the character resurrection that really bothered me, it was why he was being resurrected. It was a stunt. It was a shameless tie in with the re-release of Episode I. It was a ploy to ensnare Maul fans, and an admission by Lucas that I can't do any better than the guy I viscerally offed after ten minutes of screen time. It was the point when I realized, without a doubt, that Grievous would not be a Jedi-slayer and monstrous general he was supposed to be, only a Sith would be allowed to have true menace.

Maul's in-universe survival, I never had the same problem with as most people, I think. I'd seen what Sith could do when they delved deep into the dark side, how many hoops they're willing to jump through in order to evade death, and how far they're willing to corrupt life to suit their needs. And perhaps already seeing a cybernetically reborn Maul in the pages of Old Wounds had already pre-emptively warmed me to the concept long before it ever hit the screen. Though I was no fan of the spidery maul, apart from seeing how ravaged and emaciated he'd become, once he had been rebuilt, fueled with the Nightsisters' spirit ichor, and speaking as a coherent Sith Lord again, I was ready to see where this plot was headed.

Truth be told, I can't say I was disappointed, either. Revenge went a long way toward confirming that Maul could be a true threat and a dynamic foe for Obi-Wan, even if Revival was a bit of a let down when compared to it. Eminence, on the other hand, put it firmly back on course, and by the end I found myself eager to see where things were heading, and Shades of Reason's ultimate confrontation with Vizsla for the single seat of power did not disappoint. The Lawless rode that high streak, and impressed me both with his domination of Obi-wan and his execution of Satine, and again with the duel between Sidious and the Brothers Sith.

I suppose, to put it shortly, the entertaining ends succeeded in justifying the uncertain means.

17. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Maul cowering before Sidious was downright pathetic.

18. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    A bad idea saved by good execution.

19. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Nah, TCW gave us an opportunity to see Anakin(before became Vader) or Dooku encounter Maul, he once delivered a huge blow to their heart, but we never had a chance to see how do they express it.

Not sure why TCW focus on Obi Wan and Maul so much.

CaptainRex115 likes this.
  20. DavraCahan

DavraCahan Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 3, 2013

That's among my favorite scenes involving Maul. Quite satisfying having Palpatine putting both Zabraks in their place (in a million years, I never would have thought I'd be rooting for the Emperor, for any reason). All that aside, though, I was largely unaffected by Maul's return. It ended up being a mildly interesting story, but I'd have been just as happy with something else. I was never very impressed with the introduction of the Zabrak/Dathomir connection in the first place. Somehow I feel like it cheapened Maul's character to have come from that, not sure why. Maybe it's the preconception that all Sith must have exceedingly mysterious origins and showing where they come from suddenly makes them less interesting, less intimidating...just less...

21. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Basically what Valairy Scot said. Bringing an obviously dead character back is a bad idea. Death should be final, otherwise tension is destroyed.

But yeah, his stories (well, the whole Nightsister storyline too) were some of the most intriguing this show has done. I felt like they really put on their A-game whenever Asajj, Savage or Maul appeared.

That said, we might not have seen the last of Maul. It's very possible he'll be in Season 6, depending on how much they've finished/been allowed to finish.

22. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I think it was a very good idea. The Maul episodes are what I think are some of the best episodes in the entire show.

DavidIX and SithStarSlayer like this.
  23. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Although I think the Maul episodes had some potential, I do not like it when they bring a dead character back. Especially Maul. He was cut in two. How could he possibly have survived. When Palpatine showed up in DE, it somehow made sense. He was THE Sith Lord. Maul was just an apprentice (an if you have read Darth Plagueis, you begin to wonder if he even was a Sith apprentice and not just an assassin).

In my opinion, they should not have let Maul come back. They could have used another character instead of Maul and kept everyone happy.
    I still think the Maul episodes (although they were good) did not have anything to with the Clone Wars in general. When watching TCW, I expect to see episodes about WAR.

Another question. Why did they introduce Savage? Savage did not have any imporatant role, other than discovering Maul.
    The episodes could have worked just as well without Maul. They should have used Savage as the Maul of TCW.

Not TCW has ended, we will never see what happened to Maul. Maybe they will tie it all in with Old Wound (that was an awesome comic) and maybe they will just say Palpatine killed Maul. Futhermore, it is also possible Maul appears in the bonus content which Filoni will make available.

24. Hercu Dogla

Hercu Dogla Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2013
    I was skeptical at first, but having seen what they did with the character I must say I was pleasantly surprised. His episodes became some of the best of the season. I do wish however he had, had a few more and we had gotten a better ending to his story. Hopefully they will finish his story in the bonus content.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  25. the-jedi-prince

the-jedi-prince Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2011
    Darth Maul is the only plot hole that bothers me as Ashoka has walked away and will either be hunted down and killed after rots or stay hidden
    She might even believe the Jedi to be evil/corrupt/not to be trusted after the events of rots as they also turned on her.
    Mandalore can stay as it is as far as im concerned as it adds little imo.
    In the Darth Plageuis book Plageuis defeated one of his dead masters sith apprentices and kept him for experiments to manipulate mediclurians and life itself.
    maybe Palpatine will be shown doing something similar with maul.
    It dosnt need to be anything spectacular just have him in a lab screaming out helplessly while being experimented on.
    I just hope Maul dosnt turn up in episode 7 and the clone wars go out on a high with Maul wrapped up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.