main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Questions We'll Never Get Answered

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Narutakikun, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    We HAVE already seen that... He's been able to best Kenobi on NUMEROUS occasions, something that shouldnt be taken lightly

2. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    That's not saying much.

3. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    Well Savage and Maul combined couldn't best Kenobi in a fair fight... so I think it is saying a lot.

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    True, very true!

CaptainRex115 likes this.
  5. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Rex was created to be Alpha, the EU-originating ARC trooper from the Republic comics before Lucas decided he needed a name change. In the show's early stages, he effectively is Alpha, just with a different rank and haircut. His further characterization can be seen as a composite of several clone characters in the Republic Commando series. Rex himself may not have existed in prior EU, but everything he is has already been done.

Savage is, at his core, a repackaged Darth Maul. The purpose he served, before the decision to return Maul, was that of a Dark Acolyte, a character concept that comes from the EU. He, as a character, comes from Dathomir, raised as a man-servant to the Nightsisters: a world, concept, and people that all come from the EU. And Ahsoka―aside from the racial characteristics as a Togruta, which the series itself treats as nothing more than a cosmetically different human―is essentially no different than any other "Struggling to find herself and her way in the galaxy" female Padawan, the likes of which has already been covered by Scout, Etain Tur-Mukan, and Barriss Offee herself.

The Clone Wars is not breaking any new ground with these characters. They're simply recycling character archetypes the EU has already used.

That's a plot point touched up in the Shadow Conspiracy novel. Maul and Savage meet with a single Vigo and his lieutenants, a Vigo that did not take power until after Maul had wiped out the then leadership of Black Sun. Everyone who knew who Maul was...they're dead. Why would any of these new gangsters recognize him?

I can't imagine how I could have possibly misunderstood your position. I mean, stating outright that the EU is "crappy" and its authors are "crappy" well, that speaks pretty unambiguously toward your adoration for the EU. I don't know how I missed that. o_O

K'Kruhk and Circular_Logic like this.
  6. Hercu Dogla

Hercu Dogla Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2013
    Well I finally finished TCW about 10 minutes ago after starting about a week ago today. I think the two biggest questions that we see unanswered are what happens to Maul? And what happens to Ahsoka? There are plenty of others out there that don't get finished but I feel like these two are the most important because they are the two most powerful characters we see alive that don't appear again either in the OT or anywhere else. I hope they find a way either in their bonus content or in some other form to answer these so they're not just left out in the open.

7. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    I was making a point...compared to the show and movies. the EU isnt even close. But on its own its good. That has, is and always will be my position no matter what you try to tell me my opinion is. Unless the quality of the films/tv drops and the EU quality rises... Which im not holding my breath for.

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    But Mia, just how many archetypes are there, really? (I don't know and am too lazy to research). Heck, there's supposedly less than 10 plots in existance in all literature.

9. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    Question: Who let Filoni stay at Lucasfilm for eight years?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Perhaps archetype is a bit inaccurate in this sense. "Character profile" might be more true to this particular issue.

Either way, I'm by no means attempting to slight Rex, Ahsoka, or even Savage by pointing out the fact that they fall into these particular profiles. That's not my intention in the slightest. I'm merely pointing out the fallacy of saying that the EU was somehow a severely weaker entity prior to the introduction of these three characters, and is lacking in the face of such characters in the show. While each is enjoyable in their own way―I have been a Rex fan since reading the movie novelization the day it came out, and remain so still―objectively speaking, they're not really bringing anything new to the table that hasn't been there before. The EU has already produced free-thinking, badass, multifaceted clones. Rex isn't groundbreaking, he's just more. The EU has already shown young female Padawans struggling to come into their own. Ahsoka's not revolutionary, she's just another. And the EU has already displayed a cadre of non-Sith darksiders, and Acolytes aspiring to be Sith Lords. Savage isn't a breakthrough, he's just a continuation.

Using Rex as an example, it's not that I find him stale because I've already seen interesting clone characterizations throughout the Republic Commando series. To me, he's just more of an already good thing. They're not poor characters because they're walking on ground that has already been tread. I'm just pointing out the existing footprints.

11. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    What I'd like to know is why we haven't seen Rahm Kota in the show at all. He's supposed to be a well respected General during the Clone Wars, but we never even gotten a mention of his name in the show.

12. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I know it's bad form to quote yourself, but since the discussion has turned to EU, I'll quote what I said on another thread here:

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  13. DavraCahan

DavraCahan Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 3, 2013

There are well over a hundred novels out there. They make up a very significant part of the EU. A fair evaluation of the EU ought to include reading a substantial number of the novels along with the comics. Speaking objectively, of course.

On Topic: ;)
    There are a number of questions that I have that will most likely never be answered. Like: Why, oh why did they choose Barriss Offee to be the traitor? Why did they have to do it in a manner that made me feel like they were pulling ideas out of a hat? Why did it feel like the majority of episodes were like that? Of course, there are the more mundane questions which I am interested in knowing the answers to. I can't say that they'll never be answered, but in the same way I can't say that they will. What happens to the various characters we were left wondering about. What the true intentions of certain characters were. If we do get the answers, that'd be awesome. It doesn't happen very often that any loose ends are tied up when a tv show gets canceled. If we don't get the answers, I'm sure we'll all get on with our lives...eventually.

14. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Who was the major of Sernpidal? ;)

15. Hercu Dogla

Mar 13, 2013
    I had this exact same thought while watching the show. I was actually looking forward to seeing him when I started having been a big fan of is in TFU

16. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    Same here. I rather liked his character in TFU, and was really looking forward to possibly seeing him in TCW, leading his non-clone troops against CIS troops. Unfortunately, that never happened, and I highly doubt we'll see that in these final story arcs.

17. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Cad Bane got the death penalty
    Mother Talzin didn't have a motive she was just trying to be nice :p
    Maul became a lab rat for Sidious experiments
    Rex got killed in action
    Ahsoka married Lux
    Wat tambor and Poggle escaped during the battle of Coruscant

Huyang likes this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I would have loooooved to see the reaction had they gone with summarizing all of this at the end of the last episode in some sort of "epilogue" designed to mirror the introductory narration of each episode. Done with Tom Kane's voice, of course.

19. Hercu Dogla

Mar 13, 2013
    I really hope that's just guess work haha... Maul deserves so much more than that as does Rex. Both were awesome characters to the show and should be given good send off stories. I wouldn't mind seeing Rex die before Order 66 is released as long as its heroically and maybe some noble sacrifice or something.

And I really don't want to see Ahsoka and Lux together... The one thing I really liked about the show was how they managed to keep romance out of it for the most part. The exception being that one little rebel arc at teh start of season 5 which I really didn't enjoy. It was a nice change to see a tv show not all about couples and romance for once.

20. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Savage could have been a great character if:
    1. Make him and Ventress Dooku's assassins instead of him being her replacement
    2. Don't bring Darth Maul back
    3. Have him die at Obi-Wan's hands at the very end of the series on Boz Pity
    4. Give him slightly less Jedi kills than Grievous and Ventress (not combined)

AvadaKenobi likes this.
  21. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    Another thing I'd like to know that we may never get an explanation for is what is the official in-canon explanation for Grievous only having two fingers on each of his four arms throughout the entire show.

22. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Nighsister darkside magic....the green mist.

23. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Kota is absent from the show for the same reason Filoni has to sneak in clone commandos only to have them swept aside just as quickly. As far as Lucas is concerned, if it wasn't in the movies it's not important, even in an expanded universe medium like TCW. Hell, Aayla and Kit were in the movies and they're still sidelined because Anakin and Obi-Wan are the movies' stars, and we must be reminded of that constantly with the sole focus resting on them at all times.

There is none. It's simply an animation convenience born of the series' stylized character models.

K'Kruhk likes this.
  24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    It's entirely appropriate, given that Grievous was always meant to be a cowardly cyborg who relies on tricks and droid backup. Just watch ROTS and you'll see that TCW Grievous is the same as ROTS Grievous.

25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    One occasion doesn't mean that he's always like that, or else he'd have been killed by that point of the war. How did he capture Palpatine?

Also, it's entirely inappropriate considering Maul was always meant to be dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.