main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Anakin Solo in the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Good!

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I dislike it. What mother would want her child to carry the name of a mass murderer? It creates a lot of emotional baggage and obstacles for her son to overcome.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Right. Which is why in the ROTJ novelization it notes that with Palpatine's death the entire Imperial Navy's battle plan collapsed completely.

4. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    They did interact in Truce at Bakura. Although I think it was rather an odd meeting.
    Bail Solo... Bail is just a too strange name for a main character anyway. Luckily, Luke called his son Ben and not Obi-Wan.

Personnally, I think Leia choosing the name Anakin for her son is a nice tribute to her father as he was before he became Vader and as he was when he died.
    It is a nice tie-in to the movies. People often give their children the name of their grandfathers as a token of respect (at least in the past).

5. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Of course, Anakin Solo had to live with the legacy of his grandfather, but I think all Skywalkers and Solos had to.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Anakin Solo.

Does he contradict the EU?

7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, here's the thing. When Leia is visited by Anakin in Truce at Bakura - which is immediately after he just killed the emperor and saved her brother - Leia absolutely is not willing to forgive him or view him in a positive light. And throughout the rest of Bantam's run there are always the worries she has that her children (or even herself) could follow in her father's footsteps to the dark side, so naming a child after him wouldn't seem logical given those fears. And Han never seems like he's ever forgiven or thinks kindly about Vader, or even really thinks of him as Anakin Skywalker rather than Vader.

So while it's not impossible Leia had a change of heart at some point, I would really like to see that be explored, because as is I think there is a big inconsistency. If anything, I think it would have made more sense that Luke name his son Anakin, since he was much more willing to forgive his father and see the good in him. But then that would also have had the problem of there being two Anakin Skywalkers, and I'm sure Lucas would have put the nix on that pretty fast.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Right, that's why nobody has ever been named Adolf or Joseph after the 1940s. Oh wait.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  9. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    are they named after Adolph hitler and Joseph stalin?

Or are they named in honer of people who held thoes names and were much better people?

Anakin outside of Anakin Skywalker has no significance withing the greater SW history. Everyone in the Star Wars seems to have unique names, given names. There is no "Luke Solo...No relation".

Allana is named partially named in honer of her uncle, but yer average joe in the GFFA would be hard pressed to figure it out.

10. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    He asked what mother would make their child carry the name of a mass murderer. Those are two quick names of mass murderers that are still in use today. I'm sure there are plenty more. Who knows, maybe there are actually people that give those names to their children because of Hitler or Stalin (or unmentioned others). You don't think a neo-nazi would name their child Adolf? Or somebody in Russia, with Joseph, during the Soviet years that thought Stalin was actually a good and noble leader?

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The move doesn't really work post-PT.

Pre-PT? All we knew of Anakin is what Kenobi told Luke. In that light, Anakin doesn't look so bad.

Post-PT? We now know he was riding the highway to hell with abandon long before he took on the name of Darth Vader! Once you have to factor in tusken-tribe-slaughtering, kiddie-killing, mentor-betraying and wife-choking Anakin, it's a much harder deal.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Well Neo-nazi's are idiots, as hitler brought runiation on Germany, and had a low opinion of american nazis. Leia may be written as an idiot by certain writers, I don't think the character is an idiot.

As For Stalin, I doubt his victims name their children after him, and as an Alderaanian and a subject of his "interrigation" she is most definatly one of his victims.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Why would Leia and Han name their child after a mass murderer? I simply don't understand why you would do that to your child. And yes, Anakin Skywalker was the reason why Leia named her son Anakin, as explained in NJO.

Btw., as I live in Austria: Nobody who is in their right mind names a child Adolf nowadays.

Josef however is quite a different matter because there were also a lot of famous good Josefs in history, one being the "father" of Jesus Christ. Don't know how popular the name is in Russia, though.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Tatooine Ghost by Troy Denning shows Han and Leia on Tatooine after COPL. Leia learns about Anakin in TPM and AOTC.

Dawud786 likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. Obi-Wan Skywalker sounds alright but Ben Skywalker sounds better. I was sticking to the movies with that. The meeting in TAB was interesting. It was a nice tribute to remember the good man Anakin Skywalker was. Yes I know Anakin in AOTC was not what we probably imagined him but I liked him in ROTS and TCW.

16. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012

LOTS of reasons. She gave the reasons to Elegos on Duro. And she spent time with Palpatine and understood that a young person couldn't have withstood his machinations and that even Luke could barely she had to help Luke and she realized how easy it is to slip. She hated Vader the middle aged adult but not the boy. She recognized he was a child at one time that was selfless, heroic, and beloved.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Anakin Skywalker wasn't a mass murderer. He was a Jedi Knight and hero of the Old Republic. As far as most of the GFFA is aware, that is all he ever was.

Darth Vader, on the other hand, was a bit of a dbag. If she had named her kid Vader Solo it probably would have turned a few heads.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Oh, but he was.

[​IMG]

He is also the man who helped Palpatine ascend the throne and slaughterer of countless Jedi. You can't blame the dark side for everythinge...

19. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Killing a tribe of tuscans hardly qualifies as mass murder.

And yeah in terms of Star Wars Luke and Leia have been viewing Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader as different people for decades now. Even Vader viewed himself this way lol.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Funny as even Anakin himself knows what a terrible act it was.

How convenient. So if you commit terrible acts of murder you are absolved of all guilt as soon as you become Sith? No, don't think so. The Dark Side can be powerful but it only strengthens emotions that were already there.

21. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Didn't say it wasn't terrible. Said it wasn't mass murder.

Didn't say that either. The point of discussion is why Leia would name her child after her father. If she personally doesn't view her father as Vader, but as Anakin Skywalker then that's the explanation right there. The atrocities Vader committed still happened, people still suffered, but none of that has anything to do with Leia's personal opinion or view so it really doesn't matter. If you choose to focus on the good someone did and then remember them that way instead of focusing on the bad it doesn't mean that person's absolved of any bad thing they ever did, simply means that's what you're choosing to remember most strongly.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Whether it is mass murder or massive manslaughter doesn't make a huge difference. Important is that he caused a lot of pain and suffering just to take revenge.

I just read truce at Bakura. Leia in there was very much aware that Vader and Anakin are the same person. Did she later change her mind?

23. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    I'm not certain it was a matter of absolving Anakin for his crimes, so much as it was Leia wanting to try and bring something positive out of the name. After learning that Anakin Skywalker was her father, Leia did not have any interest in forgiving him. But as time went on, I believe she felt this was a way to move forward. I always looked at it as a way of wiping a stain from the bloodline clean; you can't forget what was done, but you do what you have to move on.

24. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Kinda was when that was the point originally made. If someone's not a mass murderer they shouldn't be called one. Killing the tuscan tribe simply wasn't an act of mass murder.

Yeah, at the very end of the novel. When she basically says she couldn't care less about Vader but that if Anakin Skywalker wanted to watch over her then that'd be fine. She also learned to become more accepting of her father after reading her grandmother's diary, and this all culminated in her naming her final child after him.
    Jedifirefly5 summed it up nicely.

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I still think he was a mass murderer because he said he killed all of them, implying that he searched the huts for them (= methodical murder). Just don't want to get into this discussion.

Anakin Solo suffered for his name during NJO. Dumb decision of a mother to have her child carry the name of the one who became one of the worst beasts of galactic history. A son shouldn't be turned into the tissue to wipe away the blood stain of family history. Doubt Leia is that dumb.