main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion will the ST restore Star Wars legendary glory, or will the LOTR stay on top???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWars2015, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We are all in agreement with you that the vastly popular source material had absolutely nothing to do with the film's Academy Award success.

2. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It is one of the oldest general movie sites in the internet, it has been around for almost 20 years.
    It is not the prefect, final judge on films but since the claim was made that in ANY poll, SW will ALWAYS beat LotR, I brought up a poll that shows differently.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor.

3. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Just because you make a film based on a popular or critically aclaimed book doesn't automatically mean that the film will do huge BO and gets tons of awards. Take the Bakshi animated LotR film. It did ok but the reviews were hardly the best and that wasn't nominated for best film.
    None of the HP films managed to get nominated or win and those books are very popular.
    The DaVinci Code did not get nominated for best film.
    There are examples of films that have done very poorly despite being based on popular or well known books.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

4. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'd like to see old Luke even try to be as bad ass as gandalf

Somehow I get this feeling he wont *also dont give me any "Well he did this in the EU so there he is as bad ass. Sorry...hasn't happened on screen yet so does not count*

5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Luke in a sense has always been as bad ass as Gandolf... he just never fought a gaint lava monster while falling down a super cliff, yet.

I mean seriously, a Death Star, attacking an ATAT on foot, fighting Vader knowing it was a trap anyways, walking into Jabba's unarmed, sacrificing himself to ensure the Emperor stayed on the Second Death Star, disarming himself in front of the Emperor just to remain on the LS, etc... Those are all badass Gandolf level stuff, neither is more or less badass than the other.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Their both fantasy films and that's where any sort of similarity ends. Good vs Evil. LOTR was very well done and was a big reason the PT was frowned upon at the time. Good acting, good story, characters you could empathise with and weren't apathetic to. You were drawn into the whole experience of the films. The OT did this, especially TESB. We need more of this!!!

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  7. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    True but he has yet to become the elderly bad ass Gandalf is ;)

8. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I agree that we need good acting, story, etc in the new films, but your statement that the similarity ends with the fact that they are both fantasy is highly debatable: Star Wars Origins - The Lord of the Rings.

9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I conceed that point ^:)^ ;)

10. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Being an elderly bad ass is no easy task. You can either come off as an elderly bad ass....or just some old guy trying WAY too hard to be cool/relevent/like his young, sexy, awesome self again. I hope Hamill can be the first one but IDK....

11. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Cant be as bad as this though :p

[​IMG]

DarthApprentice likes this.
  12. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    AHH the horror. Dude...stop making me lose hope in Hamill! I alreayd try WAY too hard to feel confident in this guy, dont make it worse :p

13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Oh Joker...someday I will figure out how the hell that is Luke. Dude voices evil wonderfully

15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

I LOVED his turn in J&SBSB - he has the best line EVER!!!

As for his 'Joker' - I've heard him do it in person once... I do NOT want to know from what depths of his soul that comes from - it's genuinely chilling.[face_nail_biting]

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Likely from Star Wars fans begging him endlessly for his autograph, and yes to the J&SBSB line

Darth Chiznuk and DarthBreezy like this.
  17. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    You have to be a certain level of insane to be the Joker. I hear it destroys your mind. Dammit...now I kinda want to see Hamill just voice a villain. Cause he can do voice acting superbly, I just wonder since its been a while since he's been in a big live action film will he be able to do a good job. Who knows.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't think he minds doing autographs, given how much he charges for them :p

Ryus likes this.
  19. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Padding your wallet makes you appreciate even the most menial things.

20. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Never mind voice overs. Heath ledger is the king of Jokers (Jack Nicholson a close second)

21. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Its not really the same LOTR built its Legacy as a Book and pretty much built most of the Fantasy Genre we see today.

Star Wars built its Legacy as a Film.

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh great....how could I miss that this thread would become another VS thread?

Have fun in here folks.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Shane, if they had only been here a decade ago, they wouldn't even ask such foolish questions. We were all informed in 03 that the Matrix has replaced Star Wars as the greatest, most popular series of all time...

my kind of scum likes this.
  24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Ive said before that for the last 30 years people have been trying to claim the throne from SW.

But nothing has its staying power, even the great Peter Jackson LOTR films.

It doesn't mean people who love a film more than SW are wrong. It just means that their love of that doesn't mean that film is more of a cultural touchstone than SW.

We likely wont see another movie touchstone like SW ever.

25. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Avatar could.... if those lazy bastards ever get around to making part 2 and 3. It's made what, 2.9 billion dollars worldwide? I'm not saying I like Avatar more than Star Wars (maybe TPM and AOTC) but if the next two are as popular as the first Star Wars will have some competition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.