main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Alec Guinness to return in Episode VI?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Death Wizard, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Bloody hell, that Audrey Hepburn advert looks exceptional.

2. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    I can see why people would want this... But I'm hugely opposed to the resurrection of dead film stars.

I'm a big Audrey Hepburn admirer - and though I find the tech in that advert incredible, I can't stand to watch it. Stepford Wives esque chills...

I'd feel the same about Alec too, a treasure who shouldn't basically be used as a puppet in death. Give me Ewan if we must see Obi Wan... though I imagine we'll see Spirit Windu if anything.

3. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I don't want to see Kenobi in Ep. 7-9. I agree that the old wise Jedi should be Luke at this point in the Saga.

T-R- likes this.
  4. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I agree. No Kenobi, Yoda, or Anakin in the ST.

Now, if they want to use the CGI Alec in the PT.................................................j/k. Maybe a CGI Shaw in the PT.
    [​IMG]

5. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Ewan McGregor could return as the ghost of Obi-Wan in the ST. Make-up can do a lot of thing lately.
    They can make McGregor look like Guiness without any problem, trust me!
    Besides, McGregor is really an enthousiastic actor. Since a CGI Guiness would not work for me, I would prefer McGregor returning.
    However, I think they should not use Obi-Wan's ghost just because they can. If his ghost appears, it should have some importance in the movie.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
  7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    While I'd prefer Guiness I fear he'd roll over in his grave if he was in the ST... he hated the role.

8. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    He hated that it upstaged his earlier work, but he didn't hate the paycheck he got.

Before he died he accepted that a lot of the younger audience knew who he was and watched his earlier films because of Star Wars. Star Wars made him immortal and he realized that.

How many people in 2013 would know who he was or watch any of his old movies if he wasn't in Star Wars.

9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    True, he did get more accepting of the role as time went on... still

10. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    No bloody force ghosts in the new trilogy! You don't need them. The only OT character who should have a more prominent role is Luke. Solo and Leia will appear in episode7 along with perhaps a few others but beyond that, you'll probably find they won't feature a great deal.

11. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I wasn't aware of this "news," that george was buying up likenesses. Interesting.

A few months ago I speculated if Guinness could appear as a Force ghost in VII using his likeness and voice manipulation. On a somewhat similar tangent I also suggested that Disney/LFL pay JEJ to read various bits of dialogue and such in case they ever needed to use Vader again, say for a standalone movie.

Morbid to think about but good business sense.

12. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Get McGregor if Obi-Wan needs to make an appearance. There's no need to dig up the likeness of a dead actor when there's someone else who is entirely capable.

It's just weird.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  13. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    He doesn't "need" to make an appearance at all.

14. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    While I admire your stance, I do feel the need to point out you don't know what the story is, and therefore you don't know what is needed or not

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Are you seriously suggesting that there might be a need to have obi wan appear as a force ghost in episode 7? And if so it would have to be Ewan mcgregor seeing as though Alec Guiness isn't around anymore and... Oh my god it's doomed to failure already if this is being considered! NO FORCE GHOSTS!!!

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's doomed to fail if Ewan appears as a Force ghost or any Force ghosts appear at all. I love the hyperbole. Great job! ;)

17. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    There's a little thing called makeup and CG on live actors as well so they could make Ewan appear older.

18. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    There's a little thing called "What's the point?".

19. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Think about it. The last we see of Obi wan is as a force ghost at the end of ROTJ and its Alec Guiness who we see. Having Mcgregor appear as Obi wans force ghost would, (in my humble opinion) be as bad as having HC appear as anakins force ghost at the end of ROTJ!! Totally unnecessary. It's not about hyperbole as you put it, it's about being bloody sensible. You'll be talking about Mace Windu appearing next!

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  20. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    My response to that would be that they don't need to write a story that has that character in it. It's true that I can't rule out that they would put him in, but I think it would be a mistake. And I have faith that the people at Lucasfilm and Disney would see that mistake for what it is.

21. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    That's because no one ever had any solid proof of it and Lucasfilm denied it and said it was ridiculous.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I consider it hyperbole to assume a film will be a failure because one actor (a pretty darn good one at that) appears in it. There are ways to make Ewan look older and more like Alec if needed. We also have no idea what context the character would appear in so there's no way to know if it is detrimental to the story.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  23. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah and for crying out loud thank The Lord for that! What an utterly ridiculous and inane rumour

24. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Ewan's a good actor, not a great one. The sentiment was not the fact the HE himself would doom it to failure but the idea he would appear as Obiwan, would not bode well in my opinion. Chronologically it would not fit, and no matter how much make up and cgi you could throw at him he would NEVER be Alec Guiness. You just wouldn't buy into it I'm afraid. So mistake number 1 well and truly avoided.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  25. Death Wizard

Death Wizard Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    Lucas buying up the likeness of dead actors may be rumor however, The FULLY CGI Audrey Hepburn in the commercial is Proof that the tech to Use dead actors in new films is possible. If a force ghost of obi-wan is to return in episode VII, it would be preferable for continuity's sake to use this technology.