main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I can certainly think of a person on these boards who would have a field day writing such a story...

ruth baulding likes this.
  2. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    ruth baulding I checked out your latest chapter to your Jedi Apprentice rewrite (I assume it is that!), having not read any of the previous chapters or stories and you've got me hooked. I'm now going to have to take a chunk out of my writing time to read all the past stories! :p

If you read it, be prepared because my plot direction keeps changing!! I've been reading your fic to over on FF.Net... Loving it so far, I think perhaps it might be prudent to review and show my appreciation for it. I always find it difficult to write reviews though :/

obimom likes this.
  3. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Thank you, hic88...

And you will absolutely LOVE Ruth's version of the JA stories....they are written the way they should have been. Nothing against Jude Watson of course I did enjoy those book and she did well with what she was given to do (write the JA stories for Juveniles)

But Ruth's version is geared toward older fans...grittier, more emotional, sometimes darker, more detail, much more character development....overall written perfectly. I wish I had a set of these books sitting on my shelf. :)

Is your story on FF or only on here? And what is the name of it so I can find it?

hlc88 likes this.
  4. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
  5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yup - you absolutely MUST read hic88 and Ruth's stuff if you enjoy a good story or two. And Ash and Ialoga if they get their stories updated as well. And Deb's got a great new chapter coming as well.

serendipityaey and obimom like this.
  6. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Thanks, Val :) Have an opportunity now while the Corned Beef is boiling to insert some of your suggestions and tweak it. I reread it last night adn found several more errors as well...so off I go!

7. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Well, I thought I was going to work on it. Hubby just woke and wants on here, so maybe later. Got a start anyway. :)

8. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    I had to go and look on Google! :D

To me, corned beef is this:

[​IMG]

9. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Canned? I think not.

Tonight, corned beef with cabbage and corn bread , then later this week, Reuben sandwiches...

Yum---Yum!! :p

10. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Chicken and potato pie, and a pint or two of dark beer. We are traditionalists! Slainte mhor!
    And love Obi.

11. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Aaaah! You poor creature - ... it starts with Obi-Wan at about ten, so you've got eight years of angst to work through !! Hope you enjoy. There is a lot of Dooku too, who obviously holds a certain fascination for you :pso...

12. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    *goes back onto Google!* [face_laugh]

Well, I'm learning a lot about US culinary terminology today. This thread is ever so educational :)

13. Angelnumber25

Angelnumber25 Jedi Knight star 1

May 31, 2009
    I'm a total lurker, but I've also been hooked on your stories Ruth! I've been doing nothing but catching up on reading all of them in the last few weeks.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    A newbie (Padawan, even if you joined in 2009)! Hi Angelnumber25 - welcome to the drool, ah, fan club, ah, appreciation society. As you probably noticed, we accept humor, drama, puns, and pictures - serious discussion and drool bucket vignettes, so jump on in. There is only one requirement to be here - Obi-Wan appreciation. You're even allowed to like Anakin, or Mace, or just about anyone, as long as you like Obi-Wan as well. :D

15. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Boo!!! Hiss!!!

(Hmmm, I have a feeling that pantomimes are another country-specific reference)

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Dooku is rather an interesting person - supposedly he's this elegant and old-fashioned, very powerful Jedi with strong feelings on political morality. Fandom, if not canon, has him with a touchy, cool relationship with Qui-Gon yet Qui-Gon's death is supposedly the straw that led him to quit the Order.

He espoused many of the views that Anakin did in the "rolling in the meadow scene": the best government is a strong government that mandates order to facilitate "goodness" and "peace." Democracy is too messy for him - committees, contention and confusion.

He is a sterner, less compassionate Obi-Wan shaped differently - whereas I think Obi-Wan likes order but he respects the mess that is a democracy and he, too, was shaped - by Qui-Gon and Anakin. Though I haven't explored it much, except a bit in EJC, I think putting Dooku with Obi-Wan is a fascinating exploration, though AU of course.

17. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm starting tomorrow. If you start to get reviews for the past Lineage stories from the-writer1988 that's me, just a head's up ;)

I have to admit before I started writing my current story, Dooku never fascinated me... It's only though writing 'Dangerous Games' that I've found it interesting to get inside his head and explore his character. And I'm hoping I've managed to get his character correct. I think he's also fascinating because of his connection to Qui-Gon... so it makes it a bit more interesting to have him face off with Obi-Wan then with Anakin, because they have a shared history in that sense.

18. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Dooku is certainly a complex character. Like most villains, he is not simply 'evil' and seems to believe in the cause that he supports. Of course, he chooses a very dark and destructive means to achieve his ends (and puts himself in the power of someone with different aims).

It's his absolute certainty and lack of humility that make him so dangerous though. He thinks it is acceptable to impose his own values - and goals - on others. Democracy is not working so he favours a dictatorship - as long as it is in line with what he wants. This is his arrogance.

He and Qui-Gon seem so different that it is hard to imagine that they would have a close relationship. I think fanon probably has it right. They are portrayed much like that by Jude Watson as well (for what it's worth!)

Certainly, there are clear similarities between Dooku and Obi-Wan. The latter seems to have many of the 'positive' (or at least neutral) traits with very few of the 'negative' ones that Dooku manifests. Of course, Obi has his own problems! An early meeting between the two is a fascinating concept. It's a shame that AOTC was so specific about it never having happened.

19. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    [​IMG]

obimom likes this.
  20. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    [​IMG]

obimom likes this.
  21. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, a pity, because it would be so much fun to fill in that back history. As a villain, even, Dooku has so much potential depth because of his motives and background. He isn't a slavering monster like Greivous.. or TCW S.Oppress, goodness me... he isn't about self-aggrandizement even - it's all in The Cause. Besides, Christopher Lee just has such savoir faire. And the teaching line is certainly a messy one - you've got a traitor, a maverick, then Obi-Wan (^:)^) and then the Big Traitor. Makes a very interesting family portrait, certainly.

hlc88, Eryndil and Valairy Scot like this.
  22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Mmm, the light finds it way thru darkness to illuminate Kenobi!

Eryndil:
    And humility is something Obi-Wan has in abundance, and a tendency to put his views below others of presumably greater wisdom (as well as the Force) that separates him from Dooku. Dooku is absolutely chilling in his "purity of vision" - see one of Ruth's chapters where it is very clear that such an absolutist vision is about as destructive in its "purity" as it is possible to be and that "purity" is best when contaminated with a bit of "human fraility."

New plot bunny: ruth baulding - when you've got time, you and I need to pound out this new bunny, probably a vignette or short 2-3 chapter story. Qui-Gon doesn't want Obi-Wan to meet Dooku because he sees the similarities and doesn't want his Obi-Wan polluted by absolutist purity.

ruth baulding and Eryndil like this.
  23. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
  24. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh you MUST do that -- it's an undercurrent in Lineage - but of course Dooku pushes through his agenda anyway. This would be canon accounting. Maybe three chapters,Val??? /you want to write this story/

25. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Because Qui-Gon always had blasted stray puppies pooping all over their quarters, becasue Dooku never let HIM have a ppuppy, and so on down the line.

obimom and Eryndil like this.