main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Perfect vintage figures.....

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Aaronaman, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I've been collecting vintage figures for a while now and one thing I've noticed in all that time is that certain figures never have the old 'play-wear'. I have about 10 red Snaggle Tooth figures and all of them look like they just popped out of the box and the General Madine figures are the same....it seems that even bit part characters have bit part play lives....

Anyone else have this with these two figures (or any others) or is it just me lol

whostheBossk and Juke Skywalker like this.
  2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I'm pretty sure my Snaggletooth is a bit snaggled - which came from being banged around in my plastic cases for 30+ years more than anything else. I'd have to check w/ Madine - although mine MIGHT be in package, which of course defeats the purpose of your question :p

3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    [face_laugh] That's an interesting observation. I collect the vintage Kenner figures as well (2/3 of the way to 79!) and certain figures are really tough to find in C-9 condition due to various factors; White figures (The original Leia, Stormtroopers) yellow and show dirt, the vacu-metal figures like C-3PO and the Death Star Droid tend to have really loose limbs. The gold paint detailing on the Bespin guards is always rubbed off (Gold and silver paint on figures is the bane of my collecting existence! A lot of 80s G.I. Joes have silver paint apps and they're always rubbed off).

But I've never thought about the fact that some figures tend to always be in great shape because kids were like *Rips open wrapping paper* "A Star Wars figure! General... Madine [face_plain]. Thanks, Uncle Frank."

Five minutes later *Tosses General Madine into toy box where he joins Orko, Snarf and several Go-Bots*

Darth Venator, J_Girl and Aaronaman like this.
  4. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    I spent a few years (honestly) trying to find a loose Bespin guard that had near perfect gold trim but finally gave up and purchased two MOC....now I've noticed even their paint is wearing off now, I can't win lol

JUKE-SKYWALKER likes this.
  5. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    It's funny you mention that. A few months ago I was on eBay searching for the vintage Bespin Guards and came across an auction for one that was still in the bubble, but the card around it had been mostly cut off. I thought "Hey, here's a chance to get one that's completely untouched.". When I enlarged the picture though the gold paint was worn in several spots and I was like "I give up!".

At this point I'm debating just getting them and carefully re-applying the gold paint my self.

6. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    I went through the stage of only collecting the 'perfect' figures but then one day I was going through my collection and thought that it was such waste that the figures I desprately wanted when I was a kid to reenact my favourite scenes from the movie were now sitting on a shelf in perfect condition....I buckled then and started collecting them in any condition and to be honest most of my favourite figures in my collection now are the most beat up ones.

7. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I wish I could be that way. When it comes to condition I collect with a jewler's eye, and it's maddening sometimes!

8. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    next time you see a beat up, cheap figure buy it and watch that side of your collection GROW lol

whostheBossk likes this.
  9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Even my new figures have play wear. In my collection, there is no such thing as "perfect" figures. And I like them that way. It shows that they're loved.

Aaronaman likes this.
  10. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    This is one of those preference debates, like carded vs. opened, where no one is really wrong.

I have a few childhood figures that survived "The Great Purge" [i.e. My Mom threw them away], and they have plenty of playwear [Apparently I was pretty hard on my toys as a kid]. Those I have a strong sentimentality for, but I don't want to pay for someone else's playwear :p.

When it comes down to it I'm just looking for the best samples I can find/afford. It increases the challenge and makes it a bit more fun at the same time... usually.

Aaronaman likes this.
  11. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I pick those up at Goodwill all of the time. Vintage stuff is always rather fun to get when it's been used - my 12" IG-88 is missing one of his finger clamps and is wobbly as can be and I don't care - that dude went through battles and survived!

12. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    I have a MOC Dengar figure and also a few loose batted up ones and I must say its my MOC version which is sitting in a cupboard in my hallway and the worse of them on the 'display' shelf.

That's one figure that keeps looking better the more beat up it is.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My loose TVC Dengar will soon go under the glue gun to permanently affix his armor and backpack to him. I did that to my SotE Boba Fett an age ago. He went under the glue gun twice! One of my IG-88 figures also went under the glue gun to repair a broken arm.

14. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    My VC Dengar is still in his packaging but he is so close to busting loose....he's one figure I want to play with haha

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    You should release him from his prison. And get the glue gun ready. That chest plate, codpiece, and backpack... They refuse to stay on. Especially the codpiece. Dengar, show some modesty! Bad enough that Zuckuss's robe won't stay closed...

16. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    I couldn't tell you how many times I've gotten the figure down and stared at him for ages trying to get the nerve to open him but the collector geek inside my head won't let me hahaha....I even went out and purchased another figure to open but now I have two figures sitting on the shelf taunting me lol, they just look to darn good in their plastic prison.

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    With some exceptions: always one to open, one to keep moc! I couldn't survive angst of wanting to play with them otherwise.

18. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    I know what you mean but I haven't been able rip one out of the box yet.....one day maybe hahaha

J_Girl likes this.
  19. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    I hear ya, but it put it this way: are you planning to ever sell both in the future? If the answer is no, then open it and let the Force-y Happiness flow through you!

TrakNar likes this.
  20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I have only one figure that I plan to sell and that's my rocket-firing Boba Fett. I have Kithaba still on card, but that's mainly because I haven't gotten around to opening him yet. I have an Aayla Secura figure that I plan to donate to Toys for Tots, so she stays in the package. That, and she's meant more for display and less for actual play, so I'm not as eager to break her out.

21. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    I buy so many figures with the intention of selling them on and have yet to ever do it lol.....I feel a bit like Golem with his precious haha

22. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    Vintage figure or Vintage Collection Figure?

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Vintage Collection figure, the mail-away.

24. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    How could you think selling that figure....mind hardly sees the light of day, he's a 'special occasion' figure hahaha

J_Girl likes this.
  25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't plan to sell it, but I am holding onto it just in case. I have a couple of comics that I'm holding onto for that reason. I hope I never have to sell them, but just in case, I'm keeping them all safe.

J_Girl likes this.