main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Visual Links (Note: Image heavy, may contain Ep VII spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by HevyDevy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"They are watching us."

[​IMG]

obi-rob-kenobi4 and Cryogenic like this.
  2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    A creepy moment, indeed!

From http://www.movie-page.com/scripts/THX-1138.txt -->>

LUH
    They know. They've been watching
    us. I can feel it.

THX
    They don't know.

LUH
    They're watching us now.

THX
    No one can see us now we're alone.

THX momentary glances into the camera, seemingly at the theatre
    audience.

And I forgot to add:

In marked departure to the other installments, Episode II (and III) was shot entirely on video. Video is derived from the Latin word "videre", which means "to see" (as compared to film, derived from "filmen", which means "membrane").

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  3. StarWarsVerses

Feb 14, 2013
    The shot directly following this exchange in the completed THX-1138 (and the shot that ends up fulfilling GL's direction about staring into the audience) always reminds me of the shot in TPM that concludes Qui-Gon's funeral, as the camera pans and focuses in on each character, finally settling on Palpatine's Janus-profile. Both these moments are prompted by pointedly ironic lines: "No one can see us," vs "But who was destroyed, the master or the apprentice?" Only in THX we're not searching for a culprit, we are the culprit, suddenly put on trial in front of a row of burnt-out, dead-eyed skinheads. Talk about reversals. Throughout the Lucas canon, focus is both referred to in dialogue and carefully used as visual metaphor (makes you stronger!).

I wish that more filmmakers took this kind of care with the basic visual grammar of the medium. When I begin to think about how many movies I've seen recently that seemed completely comprised of shallow-focus midshots and giant talking faces, my heart sinks a little.

Not to mention "camera", meaning "room", or "vaulted chamber". Those eye symbols on the floor of Dooku's hanger are getting more and more suspicious...

4. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Interesting stuff guys. I'll have to go through that whole site when I get a chance. Keep up the great observations. I'm admittedly not that big a fan of comparisons to other series or films, but to each his own. [face_peace]

5. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
  6. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007

=D==D==D==D=

7. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    You guys should read Watchmen, if you haven't already. They use of visual and poetic symmetry and recurring images and motifs is absolutely fantastic. I'm saying this because the discussion you guys are having here about little visual moments in the saga reminds me a lot of discussions I've had with friends about Watchmen.

Also, I'd like to add a little something about all those eye shots....

Each of those shots is meant to convey a variety of emotions in the context of their respective films. Wonder, terror, mystery, intrigue, etc. But the fact that the poster decided to contrast that with the shot from ROTS is rather profound. In that shot, the purpose is not only to get the viewer to see that Anakins eye has changed. If the eye were the purpose of the shot, it would have been framed identically to the other images above it. But this shot is zoomed out, forcing the viewer to attribute that horrible eye to a face that communicates sheer heartbreak and inner conflict. Similar to the entirety of ROTS's tragic tone, that shot doesn't want you to just go "ooooh cool, Anakin has Sith eyes now!", it wants you to realize that those eyes belong to a very lost, very broken human being.

obi-rob-kenobi4 and lbr789 like this.
  8. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Suggestion for comparison: Diving into the Death Star Trench, Anakin's podracer diving into the canyon, Leia's speeder bike diving against the Scout trooper.

Also, Anakin's podracer flying out of the cave followed by an explosion, compared to Lando escaping the death star, compared to Indiana jones escaping the fighter jet in Last crusade.

9. StarWarsVerses

Feb 14, 2013
    1999 - 2003 - 2005

You Refer to the Prophecy of The One

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Best Thing About Being Me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

White Man's Burden

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's Not Over

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tenth Level, They Are Watching Us / Down Here, I'm God

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Matrice / Matrix / Mother

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

El Camino

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Still the best thread on these boards.

=D=@};-

mratm23 likes this.
  11. earlchinna

earlchinna Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2004
    oooooh YEEEESSSSS you did it HevyDevy !!!!!!

I remember this visual-storytelling thread back in 2006, perhaps the best ever!!
    Now I see the ones who weren't here back then being amazed by how rich this topic is and I'm like "yes my children, I know how it feels" :cool: LOL [face_party]

I haven't been through the 9 pages yet so if it hasn't been done before you all can find the old thread simply on page 3 of my postings :)
    at this time there was this fantastic website that had been built "Galactic symphony", which provided pretty much all of those motifs, great times great times... unfortunately this page is no longer, but so good to see activity here now

I'm sure many of you might know it already, still here is a similar awesome page worth sharing, dude watched all 6 simultaneously and the parallels get even more amazing:
    http://www.weirdhat.com/swsimultaneously/

Samnz and obi-rob-kenobi4 like this.
  12. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007

I remember that. Like I have said these exact threads have been pooping up and disappearing only to pop up again on this site and others for YEARS going back to the days of TPM on vhs and dvd in 1999/2000/2001. --And they are always the best threads on the site as far as star wars and the artistic intent behind it is concerned. One of the mods really should pin this thread/make it permanent so people could be able to read through it before posting. Its important. If a noob asks what Lucas means when he refers to visual story telling/mirroring of visuals what would you rather do try to explain it to him or be able to simply show him this thread and the images in it?

I remember having a blast in these threads in between endlessly discussing the sneak preview of Episode 2 that was released in the final OT vhs boxset that was released in 2001! That long ago. Those were better times.@};-

Jedi_Ford_Prefect and earlchinna like this.
  13. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Okay, let me try this again...

Off the Charts

[​IMG]

Break Up His Father's Empire

[​IMG]

There's In Too Deep, And Then There's "Which Way Is Up?"

[​IMG]

Elevator Action

[​IMG]

14. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Choke Point

[​IMG]

See also-- End of Evangelion: One More Final, "I Need You" and Diamonds Are Forever, "There is something I'd like you to get off your chest..."

Master and Former Apprentice

[​IMG]

15. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    By the Lake on Naboo

[​IMG]

16. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Shut Me Down

[​IMG]

"Machines making machines! How perverse."
    "Robots buildin' robots? Now that's just stupid."

17. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    From Womb to Tomb

[​IMG]

18. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    The Calm Before the Storm (Opening Shots)

[​IMG]

Two Riders Were Approaching

[​IMG]

19. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Immolation

[​IMG]

It's worth pointing out that Dent's scarring by fire marks a big divergence from the comics, where he's splashed with acid during a mob trial, in court.

Seduced by the Dark Side

[​IMG]

Also worth noting-- the Joker's role in Dent's transformation into Two-Face is unique to this film, as is his position as a manipulative mastermind. Another point-- the constant offer to kill the mastermind.

20. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    This is How Time Dies

[​IMG]

"For a safe and secure society!"
    "For victory! For Gallifrey! For the end of time itself!"

21. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    What movie is that last one from?

22. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Sorry, it's from Doctor Who: The End of Time, the finale to David Tennant's run as the Doctor (and Russel T. Davies as showrunner). Really, I should've sourced all of them. My bad.

23. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Its funny (and very telling) how you can kinda see how they copied a lot of ideas from SW in TDK. Just like with the post OT generation the post PT generation actually learns from SW both film idea wise and audience wise. The buzz for YEARS was that people wanted a big, dark, adult themed, depressing commentary on the darker aspects of life in general and so thats what movies took advantage of to please the crowds and its because of SW. Like you pointed out in the comics two face gets that way by acid not fire, its a good example of hollywood sees what resonates with people and then trys to do it.

Star Wars still impacts the world and dictates modern pop culture.

Seagoat likes this.
  24. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    There's Always a Bigger Fish

[​IMG]

Blow Up the Mothership...

[​IMG]

...Turn Off the Drones

[​IMG]

Those last two bottom images are from The Avengers, by the way. I add that because the movie's so visually indistinct I wouldn't have been able to tell what they were from myself if I hadn't gone looking for them.

25. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    I remember noticing the Mace/Vader light saber pose when watching ep. 3 in theaters.....I remember thinking of the ESB scene mirroring that! Awesome.