main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT OT in 3D, Disney will upgrade the Special Effects?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by welles76, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    You sir, have my backing. That's would be so awesome if they finally did that!

darth_mccartney likes this.
  2. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    The endless arbitrary tweaking must stop.

Either (a) take the repairs seriously as someone like Adywan has done, or (b) just leave the originals alone and revert back to GOUT with zero changes and reboot the franchise. That way people who need the latest special effects and modern hairstyles can have their way.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I would agree if both versions were made available.

4. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Hope they just release the 3D version as the original was released.

5. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Adywan has done a fantastic job at updating the special effects, but his cutting out of good scenes ruined his edits for me.

Seagoat likes this.
  6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    EXACTLY! I really wish there was a way to get the best of both worlds. I would honestly pay for something like that.

7. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Why don't you just replace all the actors while your at it.....it's the stop motion that made the OT so appealing!

Maybe a forum on the new Transformers movie might be more up your alley?

Friendly question.....do you post comments like this just to get a reaction???

8. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    We all know damn well that if Lucas had made the OT movies today, he would have used the best CGI available as often as possible.

I highly suggest that you find a dictionary and look up the word "opinion". Some people prefer different styles than others, and that's just something you have to accept.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    They can plaster CGI in any new future movie they like but why do people insist on changing a classic.....when does tweaking stop and remake begin??

I wasn't trying to be a jerk in my earlier post either it was just a question?

10. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    That may not have been your intention, but that was certainly how you came across. I apologize if I myself came across that way.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  11. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    All good champ....I think we all know how worked up SW's people get hahahaha

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Seagoat like this.
  12. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    I would really care less about the effects, and more about them restoring scenes (Han shooting first, removing all the crap in Mos Eisley, etc.)

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I'm all about restoring scenes - scenes that didn't make it to the original cut. Like Jabba the Hut meeting Han, and Biggs in the cantina, And Luke making his Lightsaber, and Luke telling Han & Leia that he's going back to Dagobah etc etc

As far as I'm concerned, every scene we've ever seen as a deleted scene should be mastered & restored to the films - as long as it doesn't exceed the 3 hour mark.

14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    When you completely start from scratch, with an entirely different cast. That is a remake, anything else is tweaking & special cuts.

Seagoat likes this.
  15. janstett

May 29, 2004
    At the time Empire & Jedi were made, they used the best stop motion and puppetry available as possible -- Phil Tippet. Not to mention Frank Oz's performance of Yoda still leaves the computer animated Yoda in the dust. The puppet is more expressive than digital Yoda, and it's the genius of Frank Oz that makes it so.

Empire and Jedi weren't the last blockbuster to use stop motion extensively (probably Cameron's original Terminator in 1984 would be). Heck people still sprinkle it in modern films because CGI isn't always done well.

The problem with always using "the best CGA available as often as possible" and continually remaking every movie ever with tweaks is that it never stops. And the CGI that may have been great in 1997 looks horrible today.

George used the "best CGI available" in 2005 for ROTS yet the world came off as being so plasticky and unbelievable. There is such a thing as over-use of CGI and the prequels are the case study in it.

16. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    The puppet Yoda vs. CGI Yoda debate is never going to end... But you can't argue that CG Yoda definitely shows more expression. Just look at his face during the order 66 scene.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Death T like this.
  17. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    I would never argue the fact that the CGI Yoda is a big improvement on the puppet Yoda from Empire....just that a new CGI incarnation would look so out of place in Empire, it wouldn't fit the look of the film at all.

It'd be like changing Boba's voice in the same movie...oh....wait....hang on hahaha

18. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I agree with you on it possibly looking out of place if they only changed Yoda. But if they change ALL the puppets & stop motion (Rancor, Taun Tauns, Jabba, musicians, virtually anything that isn't a guy in a costume) it wouldn't nearly as much.

19. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    But again isn't that bordering on a remake??

20. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    When you completely start from scratch, with an entirely different cast - that is a remake. Anything else is tweaking & special cuts.

21. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    If they keep 'tweaking' the film that's exactly what's going to happen hahahaha

22. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Actually its BECAUSE of tweaking the film that a remake has not happened. If it had been unedited from '77-'83, we would have a remake by now and all you new Star Wars fans would only know the remake.

There's another thread about this.

Seagoat likes this.
  23. janstett

May 29, 2004
    Then let's just do it. Restore the OT to GOUT (George's Original Unaltered Trilogy, pre-1997 SE) and reboot. Put the OT out of its misery (stop giving 97-year old cancer patients plastic surgery and botox) and reboot. Maybe even an alternate universe/timeline.

24. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    No thanks, I don't want a reboot. Editing, yes please.

Besides, all the OT fans would HATE a reboot.