main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Now Obi-Wan and I both need this... and we all know who's to blame for that, don't we? :p

[​IMG]

Veloz likes this.
  2. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010

Actually, it's just coincidence that we've having the corned beef dinner today, we usually don't have it until sometime in May or June...it's not because of St. Patricks day...but it's this time of year it's the cheapest so thats when I buy it. I just decided to go ahead and do it today instead of waiting..cause I wanted to do a decent meal today.

I have Irish in me, but I think it's a bit remote..and my family never made a deal out of it.

3. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    I have English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh in me! But mostly Jedi...

4. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    WHAT??!!
    [face_laugh]
    Damn, his eyes.....!! Stop posting this picture, it's distracting!!!
    I'm trying to do some Serious Writing here and I can't concentrate when he's looking at me liek that...

5. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Is it making you feel bad for putting our poor wee Obi through such torment? O:)

...or just appreciating his aesthetic qualities?

(PS, when I first read your reply, I thought you said 'damn his eyes!' which would have quite a different meaning)

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Hey, Ruth...I'll be around this evening now if you need beta'ing.

I've found out my mother's mother's father was born in Canada and his dad in Ireland. Supposedly I have Scots roughly the same number of generations back, but if I trust other the research of others, it looks like my mom's dad --- several dads back, or my grandfather's grandfather's father came from Scotland.

My dad's dad was definitely an adult immigrant from Sweden and I was always sure grandpa'd said my grandmother was the daughter of Swedish immigrants, but it looks like her dad was but her mother's line goes back a number of generations in the US. Since grandpa died at 100 I can't clarify that anymore.

It's a shame how much history has been lost: mom's maternal grandmother came out west in a wagon train, supposedly to join her step-brother but it might be she came out west *with* him and he's her half-brother (he was 18 years older than her and I guess she adored him).

Oh, if we've only had oral histories and video cameras decades ago.

serendipityaey likes this.
  7. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Aaagh! he's so beautiful....
    No! I must be strong!! I will /not/ change the draft outline!! Duty first!

obimom likes this.
  8. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    So many of us in the US have that break in the genealogy - there's a place where the memory fails. I have an ancestor who came west post pioneer days and hared off with a group of maverick Mormons, never to be heard from again... and then there's all the Irish, ten kids each from families of ten kids each from families of ten kids but nobody remembers much past Ellis island or when O'Daleigh got hacked to Daly. People were so busy moving around and making new lives they didn;t seem to bother with record keeping or story-telling - it's amazing.
    Or maybe it's just human nature.
    Val - I'll send you some bits and pieces. Sent one already

9. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes, that would make the whole business a lot easier! I've been researching my family history for about 25 years now and have got back to around 1700 on some lines but others are proving very tricky. According to the census, one of my great-great-grandmothers came to England from the US - just like my ancestors to be going in the opposite direction to the norm! I have no idea how to trace her any further.

10. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Hmmm, you're a tough nut to crack, rb! How about this... look, he's so sad he has turned his lovely eyes away.

[​IMG]

ruth baulding and obimom like this.
  11. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Yikes, Ruth...drama, conflict, angst, dripping pain - LOVE it. Email sent.

12. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    [face_love] So lovely.

Ruth, how can you be so cruel to someone so beautiful?

Ok, do wha tyou must. Get to Val fast so we can read it. Poor Obi.

My dad's brother did a geneology..he has us traced back to England and Ireland...Dont' know if any Scot involved or not.

But my son and I both have very thick, auburn or at times strawberry blonde hair...I always took that is a highlander trait...Irish or Scot...

My son's hair is pretty much the same color a Ewans (as mine used to be, and still is sort of just with more silvergray streaking it. Actually my gray sort of give me blondish highlights in a way...interesting, but bett r than that dirty gray look my mother had.

13. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    I have a bad feeling about this... [face_hypnotized]

14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, I admit I am personally stuck at mom's dad's dad - I can't definitively confirm that next generation BUT on the Family Search site (thankee Mormons) there's 3 researched lineages that tie in to mine so IF they're correct, they did the research for me.

Confirmed Robert Good born Ireland married Margaret Seymour (possibly born France - can't do more than confirm her name), begat John Joseph born in Dalhousie New Brunswick, immigrated to US late 1880's, married great grandmother Hattie in 1893 in Seattle, their daughter Hattie Ellen begat my mother. Gr-grand Hattie was born in Indiana to Francis Irvine and Elizabeth Robbins in 1856 moved to Nebraska by 1860 and showed up west in the 1880's.

Mom's dad was the youngest of 7 surviving and his dad William fought in the Civil War for 2 states, was in the Battle of Gettysburg but beyond that is based on others research.

Being unemployed I cannot join Ancestry and gain access to most "pay for" records. But the research is fun - I really enjoy the detective work. We always knew one of mom's maternal ancestors married one of her paternal ancestors but never knew which - well, as I said, gr-grandpa William age 22 lived with gr grandma Hattie's family when she was 4 per the 1860 US census which was just before he joined the Cavalry, so I think his mother married William's dad then later married Hattie's dad, making it a half- not step- sibling relationship, and the reason he joined the Iowa regiment was because he was living just a few miles from the Iowa border.

Fun stuff. But my gosh: there are so many Robert Goods in the online Canadian records with absolutely nothing more to go on.
    And some of those families - my goodness there could be a lot of children. Which is funny how diluted some became - mom was an only, dad had one sister, and in my generation there is just my brother and me.

15. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    That's WORSE!!!!! Aaaaaaaagh... melts into puddle....

16. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Don't center on your anxieties, Eryndil.

17. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    But I sense something...elsewhere (possibly moving in the direction of ff.net), elusive.

I have this vision of you looking at the Obi pictures on your screen and saying in a sympathetic but determined tone, "I will do what I must Obi-Wan" :D

obimom and Valairy Scot like this.
  18. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    I never noticed before, but there are raindrops on his cloak hood in that photo. Nature is crying on him.....

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    For him, as we know he will never cry for himself.

ruth baulding and Eryndil like this.
  20. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Is there anywhere that you can get free access to Ancestry (a lot of our public libraries have free access for customers here).

It really is a fantastic hobby and very rewarding, especially when you find an ancestor after years of searching! I worked as a local history librarian for several years so I got to look up other people's ancestors too. It's not as exciting as your own, but still very satisfying.

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    The library edition of Ancestry is general; to get the "hints" based on your own input, you have to sign in and to sign in, you must belong. Basic research thru the library is free, yes, but I've availed myself of that.

22. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
  23. Angelnumber25

Angelnumber25 Jedi Knight star 1

May 31, 2009
    Yeah, I've been stuck in Padawan status for a while...slow learner or something ;) Obi-Wan appreciation is definitely not a problem with me. Thanks so much for the welcome, I read a lot of the fanfiction written by authors on this board and absolutely love it!

serendipityaey likes this.
  24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I think this thread is blessed with many of the finest authors to be found in fanfic and many of whom surpass even profic authors.

You move up from padawan with posts, likes and other trophies, so keep posting.

25. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    STOP the guilt trip!!!!!!

Gkilkenny and obimom like this.