main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Luke and Leia's parentage: the galaxy's knowledge

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Arrian, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke could have introduced himself as "Luke Skywalker, son of Anakin Skywalker"- when trying to get a place as a fighter pilot at Yavin, if Ben or Owen named Luke's father as Anakin to him.

He might have even mentioned that his father was a Jedi Knight, leading to Dreis's figuring out that it's The Hero with No Fear, that Luke's speaking of.

2. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Do we know when Luke found out his father's name? I don't see Owen telling him the truth.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Owen told him that his father died. I don't see why he would hide his name from Luke.

4. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Because he was paranoid Luke would follow in his footsteps....

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We see Luke using the name "Anakin Skywalker" for Vader in RoTJ, despite Ben never speaking the word Anakin onscreen in the OT.

6. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Perhaps somewhere in the EU? like when luke went through Ben's hut....

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Pretty certain Ben tells him on Dagobah after Yoda's passing.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  8. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Either way I am pretty sure he doesn't know in ANH.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Luke obviously always knew his dad's first name, it just wasn't referenced on-screen until ROTJ because it's not that important and Lucas probably didn't want to decide on a first name for sure until he had to.

10. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Just because something doesn't happen on screen doesn't mean it never happens. I mean, by that logic Han Solo doesn't need to eat. ;) Besides, isn't one of the Clone Wars (2D series) tie-in comics framed by Obi-Wan telling Luke the story while they're on the Millennium Falcon? Surely if they've got time for that, they've got time for a full name.

I like the idea of Luke's arrival at Yavin being accompanied by lots of rumours that he's the son of the Anakin Skywalker - rumours that just happen to be true.

minnishe likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In the ANH novelization, Luke is approached by someone who remembers his father's skill.

12. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    pretty much

it's just inconsistent

13. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Have you watched the whole thing? REALLY?

14. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    why would you think that? It's definitely not "obvious" lol

15. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Look even if Skywalker is not a common name that is still no justification. I mean seriously the galaxy has what Trillions? Quadrillions? There is no way that Skywalker is an uncommon enough last name that no one else has it.

16. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Luke's Scholastic Star Wars Journal has him mentioning Anakin by name (and before he meets Obi-Wan, IIRC), so he did know his dad's name growing up.

It's true that the Essential Guide to Warfare uses only the dialogue from the special edition, not the novelization, with Red Leader only (mentally) noting with interest that Luke shares the last name Skywalker with the Jedi hero.

TC

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Good point- I keep forgetting the line "He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader". Still, I do think it's reasonable for Owen to have named the "navigator on a spice freighter" as Anakin.

18. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    That line was removed from later editions of ANH for a reason.

FatSmel likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    CoO has Skywalker being akin to Smith as a last name!

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why would Owen and Beru even keep it a secret? Doing so would probably have made Luke a lot more curious about his father before he met Obi-wan.

Luke: What was my father's name? I know you said he was a navigator on a...
    Owen: NEVER ASK THAT AGAIN!!!!!!!!! NO MORE POWER CONVERTERS FOR A YEAR!!!!!!
    Luke: :(

21. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Perhaps they lied...

22. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Indeed, and it's not like they really had any reason to keep it a secret. The Emperor suppressed all knowledge of the Jedi Order. The identity of Anakin Skywalker, Jedi General, Hero of the Old Republic, among them. By the time Luke's old enough to think about such things the holodramas and news reports have been rewritten and Anakin Skywalker is just some Jedi who fought alongside Admirals Yularen and Tarkin during the Clone Wars, he's certainly not a household name. So even if Luke didn't quite believe the 'spice freighter' story, he can't easily churn up any other information about this Anakin Skywalker person.