main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will they know who Padme is?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Allana_Rey, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the Rebel Force series, we get to see Ghost Obi-Wan's activities after the Battle of Yavin. It makes a big point of how he does not trust Luke fully, yet- and how he's not going to send him to Dagobah until he's certain. "And after all, there is another."

So there's support for the notion of them being hesitant.

DowClimber likes this.
  2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I haven't read through the rest of the thread, but to answer the original question, I don't think it will even matter.

At this point, why focus on things from the past when there's so many storytelling possibilities for the future? I don't even think Padme will be relevant to the story and hence, there will be no mention of her from the main characters.

3. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Ordinarily I would agree with this. However, I think that the desire to connect the PT to the ST will be too great for Disney/LFL to resist. They may have Luke and Leia discuss her at some point. Perhaps they are viewing a hologram of Queen Amidala. Maybe the Naboo -Trade Federation crisis will have a reference. I can even see a scenario where Leia discusses Padme with the new female protagonist (Jaina?).

Sum-Wan likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Padme Skywalker anyone?

5. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I am sure that the force ghosts told Luke and Leia about their mother in the past 30 years. It would be shocking if they didn't. If Leia does not become a Jedi and neither does her daughter, I think a line of dialogue like this would be awesome.

Leia: My mother and your mother did not need the force to be strong and neither do you. Don't forget that.

Not that I want the possible Solo daughter to be a non-Jedi. But this is sort of how I would prefer Padme to be referenced.

6. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012

Why wouldn't Leia be aware of who she is? Didn't half of Padme's friends hide out on Alderaan, even Sabe officially? Luke and Leia didn't have a lot of time to talk about it. Luke asks Leia if she remembers her as in memories. Not Do you know who your mother is? It's not like Leia doesn't know loads of sensitive information.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Personally, I think a better question would be "why would she". Her mother is dead and Leia Skywalker officially isn't supposed to exist.

I don't see Bail telling Leia or allowing anyone to tell Leia about her mother, myself. I don't see Bail telling anyone else, anyway, except maybe his wife.

It's one of those secrets that are simply never talked about.

I don't know. What's official? EU? I don't think so. Did she mention friends of her mom on Alderaan in the OT?

Even if Padme's friends lived on Alderaan, would they know that Leia is her daughter? Isn't it supposed to be a secret?

Technically, they had years to talk about it, just not with the knowledge that their mothers are one and the same.

If you're saying that Leia knew her "real mother" the whole time, there's no reason she couldn't mention it to Luke. They are friends, and Luke was trying to get into her pants for a while, it's likely that their parents (or in Luke's case, his dead Aunt and Uncle....and maybe his dad the spice freighter navigator) would come up.

She doesn't know that Vader is her father, or presumably that Anakin Skywalker is.

In light of the PT, I find the scene in which Leia describes her mother dubious. Even Luke's question of "your real mother" is confusing.

Personally, I'd prefer that Luke and Leia never learn about their real mother, it's a part of the tragedy of their characters, imo.

I'd prefer Padme not be mentioned for a few reasons:

1) She's really not relevant to the story going forward.
    2) As I said, the complete lack of familiarity with their mother (and father, really) is a part of the characters I'd like to maintain.
    3) Even if they did learn about Padme, they'd never truly know her. They can learn facts and see images, but they can never have a relationship with her.

I prefer that they just accept the fact that she is lost to them and move on.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    She should appear in a hologram of Anakin choking her and Luke and Leia will be shocked!

9. Jedifirefly5

Sep 5, 2012

I disagree with all of that. As the friend of adoptive children every person has a RIGHT to know who they are. To me, your attitude is arcane as a doctor not telling someone they're going to die. They are both very strong people, warriors and there's no reason for all these people that knew Padme not to talk about her, esp Mon Mothma ages after the "secret' is not relevant. it was relevant for Vader and Palpatine not to know when they were babies. What in the world should 50 YO person be "sheltered" from? They have relatives they deserve to know and there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't know of them if THEY feel like it. Not if you feel like it. Who gave you life is important. No child that was adopted straight up doesn't care, they'd at least want the basics, the facts, as you say. These aren't cops investigating a crime they are the children of a lovely brave woman and she accomplished a lot in a very short life. They have a right to have pride at least in ONE of their natural parents.

And I think Luke's natural sensitivity makes him feel that trying to talk about relations no matter how distant is a very sore point for Leia as her planet was blown up. Luke wouldn't prod and Leia, IMO being a royal, wouldn't offer.

Someday I plan to adopt, and while I am not comfortable with open adoptions when a person becomes 18 they have a right to do what they want.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Some adopted kids actually never want to know about their biological parentage and choose to keep their lineage to the people who raised them. These things do happen.

11. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Carrie Fisher in 1983:

Leia's real father left her mother when she was pregnant, so her mother married this King Organa. I was adopted and grew up set apart from other people because I was a princess. In terms of the character, I don't know my real father . . . until. . . .

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...s-on-princess-leia-fame-and-feminism-19830721

The whole Padme backstory is a mess and I doubt they'll get into it. Padme will probably be mentioned once or twice in passing, but that's it. I should think Arndt will have his hands full just telling us about the new characters and setting up the basic story, in whatever time is allotted between chase scenes, fight scenes, and big battles.

12. Jedifirefly5

Sep 5, 2012
    Bail really is not a king.

13. Jedifirefly5

Sep 5, 2012

Luke actually is pretty blatant about wanting his dad around, knowing his dad, what do you think.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I was referring to Leia quite possibly not giving a crap.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Carrie's word, not mine. I was using the quote to illustrate that the backstory is a mess.

They're not going to talk about Padme, except maybe in passing once or twice. Luke and Leia will talk about Anakin/Darth and they'll talk about their children, but Padme...not so much.

16. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Has anyone talked about the possibility of padme returning as a force ghost yet?

She did share a huge emotional bond with anakin (the chosen one) and gave birth to two incredibly powerful force users. There is a chance that anakin could bring her back or that there was some midichlorian transfer during the pregnancy?

17. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    natalie portman would never step anywhere near another star wars film set.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My first thought is that I'd be OK with their finding out who she is, a way to tie in the trilogies. Then I started trying to figure out how that would fit into the overall storyline, and...nah. A romantic story of the twins emoting over their long-lost mother isn't really Star Wars. The only reason there is so much reference to Luke and his father is that Luke had this ideal of his father as a hero and that ideal got shattered--that was part of the story. There is nothing of that with Padme. Leia had a happy childhood and probably has some idea of who her real mother was anyway, given that Padme and Bail were friends; I doubt that she's going to be trying to play detective in middle age when there's a New Republic to run. I see her giving the "mystery" a rest.

19. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I distinctly remember Leia telling Luke she only had vague memories of her mother, she died when she was very young. Yet Padme died almost immediately after giving birth to the twins didnt she? Hmm.. Best she doesn't get mentioned again I think. Will always have that painful memory of Padme naming each twin as she is passed them. Why oh why!!?? Watching that scene was akin to sucking on a lemon. GL must've thought everyone watching would be thinking, 'who the hell are the kids?'

20. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Leia talking about her real mother definitely meant she was talking about the yet unnamed Padme back when her backstory indicated that after separating from Anakin she married Bail Organa, king of Alderaan but lived "sad" (obviously because she still loved Anakin) and died a few years later while Leia "was very young" (but old enough to have memories of her).

After George Lucas wrote the story of the PT and made Padme die at birth, we're supposed to believe that Leia was talking about her adoptive mother instead, considering her her real mother which makes no sense because Luke wanted to know about their (his and Leia's) mother and Leia knows that. It devalued that scene completely.

21. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah that and the godawful acting..no wait, must bite my tongue. PT bashing is heavily frowned upon on here it seems lol

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I think the bad acting is because Natalie Portman lost the will to live :p

23. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I personally think Disney wants to avoid referrencing the PT as much as humanly possible, that said I think they may want to kill all the gungans too. So I feel that if something happens to the Gungans and any of the original cast goes to Naboo then they might find out then... but if not it will either just be referrenced via a few lines of dialog or just never brought up.

However I'm very skeptical Dark Nest and the whole R2-D2 memories being revealed plot will become the highest level cannon and feel its highly possible it will be made non-cannon. Simply put it wasnt that good of an arc and set up two arcs that followed which the first was just a copy of the PT fall of Vader and the second just had way too odd of a villain for the general masses to get behind (hell most EU fans I know where disappointed too). I just feel that Disney/LFL would rather use this time period to set up there own unique stories that will lead up yo George Lucas' story treatments. (With the EU I think the closer to the OT it is the more likely it is that elements of it may survive).

Anyways back to Padme, she was barely even in RotS... minus giving birth to Luke and Leia and being Anakins reasoning for falling to the DS she really isnt that important of a character. So her taking up screen time isnt as likely as it could be... though maybe they will include her just to clear up Leia's comments about seeing her mother when she was very young dispite having died in childbirth. Personally though a cameo from Natalie Portman as a ghost imho wouldnt be bad thing, if well handled and short I wouldnt mind it one bit.

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I'm hoping Dark Nest goes away. Wasn't a fan of the series at all, personally-Padme's identity discovery can be handled a whole lot better than that.

anakinfansince1983 and Ryus like this.
  25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    They could stick to Clone Wars Anakin for reference since he was much more the Anakin talked about in the OT. Also since Lucas had him basically had him re-written suggests he is now aware of the problems with PT Anakin and would be cool with it.

You got more chance of winning the lottery than getting Portman back