main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Last Jedi by Michael Reaves

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Hm? Can't speak for this one, but Vader was pretty awesome in the first three books.

2. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    So I was thinking of getting this book, but havent read any of the previous ones yet. Are they needed in order to understand this one?

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Finished the book. A bit of a struggle to get through it but looking back at it with a complete picture of it, it was really good.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not really. Even the trilogy proper was written more as three standalone stories than one single plot. The Last Jedi is self-contained enough to be read on its own. Really, the only thing connecting this to CN is the characters, some organizations and some plot points, but enough background is given to get by.

5. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Ok thanks! Might check it out then.

6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I loved the descriptions of how time works in the book in relation to the Force... a deep insight into timetravel and that not seen since the days of flowwalking. I so loved that part! :) also the first book since Dark Nest to acknowledge that timetravel is more than mindtravel and actually CAN work.. though it is hard to do. brilliant :) great book, one of my new favourites. Reaves always rocks. give him more books please!!!

7. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    PS: Also interesting new use of Doppelganger paired with flowwalking.. opens a can of retcon possibilities I bet for Even Piell and others.. or more! lovely lovely.. this book is full of pure gold

8. JevanShevu

JevanShevu Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2009
    Is the other three Jax Pavan books needed to fully enjoy this novel as a standalone, or is it the fourth instalment of the Coroucsant Knights books?

9. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009

10. JevanShevu

JevanShevu Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2009
    Ok. Thanks a lot. Next time ill pick it up then next time i see it :D

11. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I gotta disagree. The Last Jedi is clearly book 4 of a series. It constantly refers back to events of the other three books. It's like asking if starting at Order 66 was a good place to start with Traviss' RC books.

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    *counts Jax new Forcepowers*
    Flowwalking
    Doppelganger
    Force Illusion on Fallanassi level
    well well... now who else wants a Darth Ramage book to explore that cool dude who used all this too before Jax? maybe Ramage based his research on Darth Rivan's timetravels? we do know something of Rivan ended up in Palpatines posession and daily use :p

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I disagree Mani, yeah there's reference but it also tells the reader what they need to know of those earlier that's relevant to the story, if interested the reader can then pick up those earlier stories. If we're being really honest, there's refs to all of the previous books - Shadow Hunter, Medstar and Coruscant Nights, but you don't have to read those to be able to read this.

14. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm at the part where Jax opens the Holocron. Can't wait to see what the ending is.

15. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Now I'm not sure about getting it after conflicting statements...:p

16. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Basically if you haven't read the others you should read them to be up to speed with this book.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Consider:

Do you need the book to be in virgin chronological territory with no future knowledge giving the game away as to what the heroes can and cannot achieve? If yes, don't look at.

Do you like stories where the focus is on well-realised characters? If yes, look at.

Do you like stories where there is thought given to the dilemmas faced by the characters and realistic follow through on them? If yes, look at.

Are you reasonably intelligent and don't need everything spelled out for you? If yes, look at.

Is continuity really, really important to you? If yes, then might not be for you as the editing isn't all it could be.

Do you need Vader killing Jedi or is him merely dominating the plot and the actions of the characters sufficient? If yes, look at.

Finally, it's out paperback and so is a far cheaper gamble than a hardback, especially if bought online with a nice fat discount!

Of course, I'm a big fan of the Reaves-verse, its a neat little authorial pocket in a far larger world.

DarthStymi likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I really see those as optional rather than mandatory. It's been years since the last CN book, I've likely forgotten most of it by now, but all I needed to know of past events was supplied in this book.

19. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Thanks. Based on your post I feel more confident! Gonna get it on Amazon. :)

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You did read the very-small-as-to-be-practically-invisible print that says I am in no way responsible for your purchases and if you don't like it it's on your own head? :D

21. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Just finished it. The ending was epic and I can say that Telsa got what he deserved. Now this book needs a follow up.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  22. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I don't know if I'm just reading this slow or if I'm just not that interested anymore...I'm about 3/4's the way through and MAN I'm tired of Jax already! How many times is he going to visit the asteroid space station thingy and then second guess his plan and turn around?! And I'm over the whole I-5/Junkyard Dawg thing!!

23. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Well you just read the last time he does it.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Jax going back and forth was annoying. I loved I-5 being worked on. That was great.

25. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    You realize that you just asked to answer an either/or question with yes or no, right? ;)

About the recommendation, without even having read the book - why would you want to have this book and not read one of the others first?

But interesting to find out that it wasn't made a hardcover after all, somehow I missed that.

Barriss being a drug addict after MedStar wouldn't really hurt things, would it.

Timetravel? [face_monkey]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.