main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT "I'll See You In..."

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Khalil O., Mar 15, 2013.

1. Khalil O.

Khalil O. Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    In the Empire Strikes Back, Han Solo tells a rebel soldier, "Then, I'll see you in Hell!" after the soldier warns him that he'll freeze to death if he goes to find Luke. Hell, or any concept of it, isn't mentioned in any of the other movies, with the only reference to it being this line. Did the director or Harrison Ford take some liberties at this part? Did George Lucas want him to say that?

2. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Why would they need to mention hell? It could just be something that a few small groups believe in, or a figure of speech. I doubt they thought about it as much as you have.

3. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    They say the word "hell" in TCW. Not a big deal.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    No big deal in-universe, maybe, but I remember the TOTC people freaking out over it, though that's another topic.

5. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    TOTC?
    Although, having the word "hell" on Cartoon Network shows is not a big deal. They've aired worse.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    "Think Of The Children".

7. Khalil O.

Mar 9, 2013
    The reference just seemed out of place, and I was wondering if Lucas wanted a "hell" to be a part of his Star Wars universe, or if Harrison Ford was just "in the zone" at that part and they decided to keep it because it sounded good. The EU elaborates on it, but its never touched on in the movies, so I'm not so sure Lucas originally had it in mind, similar to how lightsabers were originally only meant to be blue and red, but now they come in every color imaginable. Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting topic for discussion and wanted to see what others thought.

If there's a Star Wars Hell, is there a Star Wars Heaven?

8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Well, Anakin mentions Angels. I don't see why Solo can't mention hell.

9. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Jar Jar mentions that the gungans believe in gods and Han Solo refers to Hell; seems that religions in some form or another exist in the Star Wars galaxy.

SnakeWesker and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  10. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    lazy writing

don't take it any notice

DARTHSHAME and Khalil O. like this.
  11. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    If you want a wholesome cartoon channel, check out PBS Kids. NOT Cartoon Network. :)
    I know this and I don't even get the Cartoon Network channel at my house.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My children have heard worse than the word "hell" when riding with me during rush hour traffic.

90 percent of the time, the "TOTC" crowd needs to just STFU. Do they think that "the children" are going to be so sheltered when they get out of the house?

I saw ESB for the first time when I was eight years old and didn't think anything about Han saying "I'll see you in hell."

As far as Lucas wanting Harrison to say it, who knows. Harrison did take some liberties with the dialogue. Given that a lot of religions have a concept of hell, I don't see what the big deal it.

13. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Lazy posting, don't take it any notice.

Just because a specific religion isn't really touched upon, doesn't mean there isn't any. The movies are obviously very spiritual, and there good deal of the faith involved in a lot of the characters. The Force itself seems to be seen as a religion by some who aren't Jedi. And many religions have a place similar to Hell, where sinners and ne'er do wells go. Not out of line to think that Han believes there is a place such as hell.

Also, think of how many Atheists and Agnostics use the phrase. They may tell someone to go to Hell, or exclaim "Jesus Christ" in exasperation, even though they may not believe in the specific references, because they've become common phrases in our language.

Khalil O. and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  14. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Not clear on this, but I think that in SW there are either religions with a concept of hell and/or there actually is a hell, like the netherworld of the Force or something for darksiders? Anyone know?

15. Khalil O.

Mar 9, 2013
    Technically the Jedi and Sith are religions (just look at my signature lol), and like some of the other comments brought out, Anakin mentions angels and Jar Jar talks about gungan gods, so religions definitely exist in the SW universe. Han just didn't strike me as the most religious person (lol, look at my sig again), so I guess I'm leaning towards Star Wars idiom/Harrison Ford's artistic expression for the "see you in hell" quote.

And, why would Han go to hell, anyway? Was his life really that bad? He was risking his life to save Luke, after all.

16. Khalil O.

Mar 9, 2013
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos

Jarren_Lee-Saber and sg1A like this.
  17. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Hell exists. How would it be offensive for Han or TCW to mention Hell?

Death T likes this.
  18. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    It's a wonderful nod to his Indiana Jones character. I can see him saying that as he rides off on a horse in 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark' or something.

It's just part of Hans' hot-headedness I think. Nothing major by it.

DARTHSHAME and Khalil O. like this.
  19. Khalil O.

Mar 9, 2013
    Probably the most accurate answer.

I really don't think Han actually believed in a Hell, or in any religion, for that matter. He told Luke:

"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Does anyone think that his attitude about this changed throughout the OT? Could he be different in the ST?

20. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Deffo! I think his character changes most from when we first see him on Tatooine to the finale on the Forest Moon.

In 'ANH' he is a non-believer, out for a fast few credits with no-one to think about but himself and Chewie. But the cause he is involved in soon makes him see the greater inpact he will have on not just a few people, but the whole galaxy. Hence his big return to the Battle of Yavin!

In 'ESB' he thinks his job his done, we see him try to convince himself he's done but we know he feels so much for Leia, Luke and the cause of the Rebellion and certainly puts himself more in danger to help those around him. Especially in the finale at Bespin. He turns from scoundrel to General in these moments.

In 'ROTJ' he is a major leader of men, a hero to the Rebellion and one whom is leading those on a quest to save the galaxy and he is thinking about everyone else, not just himself. He even takes to letting an Ewok rest on his thigh. The 'ANH' Han would have pushed him off.

A great character with a major development in each episode, and I hope we see a nice finale, or resolution to his career in Episode VII. :)

J_Girl and Khalil O. like this.
  21. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Who know's what the word 'hell' means in the SW's universe.....it might not have anything to do with religion at all, hell might be a spa room on the Hoth base when the Rebels relax in their bunny slippers and drink hot coco.

They're not on Earth remember hahaha

Jarren_Lee-Saber and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    Lazy posting, don't take it any notice.

--------

last I heard it's called opinion

anyway, different religions are fine, I think it would have been a lot more original to make another word for it in a galaxy far far away

feel free to disagree though, and call me lazy etc

Aaronaman likes this.
  23. Khalil O.

Mar 9, 2013
    Haha, we've already addressed that - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos

Their concept of hell is pretty similar to ours.

24. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I like my version a little better hahaha

25. Khalil O.

Mar 9, 2013
    [​IMG]