main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Alec Guinness to return in Episode VI?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Death Wizard, Mar 16, 2013.

1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I would prefer to have Luke in the role of the old mentor.
    If Obi-Wan does appear, he can be a hologram from his holocron that he (probably) made at some point. If that is the case, you can easily feature either version of Obi-Wan. Hell, you can even do both.
    McGregor for an earlier entry, Guiness for a later one.

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Impressive no doubt, but I would be more impressed if it were used in a scene where the recreation speaks and converses seamlessly with an actor in a normal situation. All well and good for an advert, but as a real and plausible character in a HUGE film? Another matter entirely.

3. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Not that it makes it much less impressive, but that is not a fully CGI Hepburn. It is a model who looked very much like her from start with digital alterations to the face based on Hepburns acting/film catalog and press photos.

4. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I don't protest Obi-Wan returning in some kind of role. However I much prefer Luke being the wise Jedi "wizard" now. I can see maybe something traumatic happen that could have Luke requesting advice but other than that I don't see the point.

5. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    Less work/money required for Lucasfilm/Disney and Obi-Wan wouldn't appear younger. That's the point.

6. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    My suspicion is that if we see Ghost Obi or Ghost Anakin, it would be because part of the threat in the ST could be coming from the netherworld of The Force, and the good guys will need someone on that side to come out victorious. If this is the case, it would be the overall story of the ST that will not be resovled until Ep. IX.

7. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    They could use the Obi-Wan ghost they already have from the OT. Just manipulate it and get a voice actor to record new lines. I'm sure that'd be cheaper than hiring Ewan McGregor just to make him up to look like Alec Guinness.

In any case, McGregor doesn't have many good things to say about the PT. Whether he genuinely dislikes the PT or just hates on it because it's the cool thing to do, I guess we'll never know. If I was working on the new movies, someone with that kind of negative energy isn't someone I'd want on the team.

8. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    If you look at it from a cost/benefit viewpoint, Disney will not pay what it would take for such a minor appearance.

9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    All McGregor has said is how hard it is to do green screen work. That's not hating on it, and he seems very enthusiastic about being Obi-Wan.

All I can say is IF the script calls for an Obi-Wan (and I doubt it would), it should be McGregor.

lbr789 and CaptainRegor like this.
  10. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    I personally wouldn't mind seeing a CGI Alec Guinness but I also wouldn't mind McGregor again. I have no strong feelings toward it either way. I still think it would be an awesome cameo should it happen.

CaptainRegor and Sum-Wan like this.
  11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    and he said AotC was a horrible title when it was announced. way to promote a movie.

12. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    That's not his job. It's a silly title, so he had a laugh about it.

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    An actor's job is to promote the movie he's in, not to say that the title is horroble whether he he thinks so or not.

14. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Ewan is one of the bestr things about the PT, and he loves being Obi-Wan.

He knows it and Disney knows it.

But if Obi was to appear in the ST, I think Guiness is a stronger choice for continuity in the films as well as the expectation of Star Wars to push technically boundries.

15. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I know they have CGI versions of people and everything but I don't know about this one. Of course, with Obi-wan being a ghost they might be able to pull it off...maybe they get Ewan to do the motion capture and voice for a CGI ghost and they make him look like Guiness.

16. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Move along, move along.... Those were the words I thought of when I read the title of this thread. It is time to move to the next generation. The Big 3 will only appear to provide a transition to the new heroes. In my opinion Obi-Wan does not need to appear at all (Neither Alec or Ewan).

17. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I think it would be awesome if they just used Ewan, but make him look pretty old with makeup and CGI. Maybe they could plaster Guinness' face onto his if they want for all I care. That is if the technology is done right.

But I don't want them to be around for much, maybe just for a quick scene when Luke dies? I like the image of a Luke so old he's tasting death walk into the Tatooine desert with the three ghosts with him. That would be the perfect way for Luke to go I think. A scene like that is all we need of the ghosts.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  18. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    The idea of Luke dying as he walks into the sunset is interesting. Your scenario somewhat reminds me of the movie Shane. There is a debate whether Shane dies or not as he rides into the sunset (he does not). Of course, I prefer no Luke death at all. If he does die, then Force ghost appearances of Anakin and Obi-Wan would be interesting.

LunarMoth and Episode Swag like this.
  19. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    EPISODE VII OF THE DEAD

20. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I am suggesting no such thing. All I'm suggesting is we don't know anything concrete about the storyline or what characters are in it. There are so many options;

IF an Obi-Wan force ghost is required for the plot then it could be CGI Alec, a disembodied voice with an impersonator saying the lines, made up Ewan, CGI Alec morphing into Ewan... but remember what I'm saying...IF

Not one of us can say with any certainty what is "needed" for the story.

With regard to your "NO FORCE GHOSTS" shout out, I think you may end up being disappointed. In the overall story arc of the current 6 films, force ghost have made a bigger impact (and had more screen time) as each film progresses. There are some that would say this is indicative of where the story is headed. There are some that would say the reason Hayden is now in RotJ is for the sole purpose of being able to use him in the ST. There are some that say Hayden was inserted just to link the PT to the end of the OT.

Please don't put words into my mouth, I'm not saying I want any of this. I'm just trying to get people to see we don't know jack so you have to look at things, and discuss things, from all the available angles.

21. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    I was one of those people who said that Hayden may have been placed in ROTJ for just this purpose. It makes sense, and I would stand by this idea 100% if he shows up in the ST. Sure, there will still be argument as to whether or not that is why he was put into ROTJ, but I see no other reason.

Of course, if he deosn't show up, then I would be wrong. But not until he doesn't show up.

This is why we discuss here.:)

I also have said before (before this thread) that Ewan-Obi was not put in that scene in ROTJ because they plan on a technically genius Guiness.

22. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I still for the life of me, fail to see why HC was put in the ROTJ as Vaders ghost? It's right up there with having Greedo shoot 1st in the canteena scene. When Vader died he was the old Anakin. I know it's GL's baby and he's free to do with it as he wishes but sometimes certain details are best left alone. Otherwise it begins to become a bit of a mess if you ask me. Having Jabba in ANH was another faux pa. it looked awful and wasn't a necessity.

23. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Hayden in the ST is one thing I don't want to see. Anakin had 1-6, let Luke have 4-9. Not to mention it would be very strange to have Anakin appearing as a 20 something Force Ghost while Luke is in his 60's.

Hydro spanner Celt likes this.
  24. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    In all honesty, I am also one of those people. As soon as the ST was announced (or very soon after) I was "Oh, so that's why (young) Anakin was pushed into RotJ". I'm not saying it is the reason though.

Let's have some fun with it. Let's propose that that was the reason HC was inserted into RotJ. They intended on using him some more in the ST. But wouldn't it be funny, if HC turned down the offer and they recast the role of force ghost Anakin to a guy that looked like Seb Shaw, and then reintroduced the Seb Shaw ghost back to RotJ?

I think I'd actually prefer it if they did do that. Of course, it's only speculation. As other people have said, there may be no force ghosts at all in ST for all we know.

25. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013