main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Audience reactions to the PT in theaters

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Feelicks

Feelicks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2012
    For all of you people that have seen all three (or two or one) PT films in theaters, what audience reactions did you hear or see in the theater during a specific moment or time during each film?

AOTC was the only PT film I saw in theaters, but I do very well recall people cheering when Yoda took out his lightsaber. What about you guys? What audience reactions did you witness during each film?

obi-rob-kenobi4 and SnakeWesker like this.
  2. Khalil O.

Khalil O. Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    The crowd went crazy in AotC when Mace Windu decapitated Jango Fett, then again during Yoda's whole fight scene. In RotS, the crowd cheered at the very end when Anakin became Darth Vader. I don't remember any reactions to scenes in TPM, although the final battle with Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gonn is probably my favorite PT Star Wars scene. (#2 probably the pod race, but that's just me).

3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    There was a standing ovation during the scene where Obi-Wan handed baby Luke off to Owen, then they looked off into the two Suns. It continued a whole nother minute or two into the credits.

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    When Yoda "blasted" the two guards when he confronted SIds - a lot of "oh yeahs" and all.

5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    There was a lot of laughter in the theater for that scene,

JM_1977, Sitara and mes520 like this.
  6. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    The thearter I was in to watch PM went nuts over ever little thing....I'm sure if Ben and Qui-Gon went shopping for new socks they would have lost their minds.

Everyone was just to ampted for SW

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    At my second viewing, after Sids went flying, I heard a fan say: "Take THAT you bastard." which, elicited a second round of chuckles from the crowd. Rumor has it, I might have been the one speaking.;)

Probably, my favorite fan-inspired moment in a theater.
    :p

8. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I was too busy paying attention to my own response. Sorry.

9. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    The only thing I remember is Yoda deflecting the 2 guards; many voices cried out in laughter...

V-2 likes this.
  10. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    After Boba's less than dramatic end in ROTJ, I was sort of hoping for something a little more 'special' for Jango's demise.

11. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    In my country, we just sit quiet untill the credits roll, and then we leave in silence
    We're a bit dull that way

12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    same in the UK Zapdos,

the theaters (cinemas) I go to you might get a few chuckles here and there (mostly anything Yoda does: AOTC fight, the red guards) but not anything vocal really.

Either that or I just live in a boring area :p

13. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I want to go there. I hate noise in the theater. Organic laughter is one thing, but people make a show of it.

14. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    TPM: people cheered when the 'Star Wars' logo in the openeing crawls appeared.
    AotC: people laughed at Yoda's battle cries
    RotS: people laughed at Obi-Wan's "Not to worry, we're still flying half a ship!" and when Yoda used the Force to knock out the two red guards

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  15. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I remember the first time when I saw TPM back in 1999, the scene when the MTTs opened up and those big racks full of battle droids came out, a guy in the theater said oh S##t! Other than that, the people were silent .

SnakeWesker and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  16. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Big reactions during opening night midnight show for Sith: Cheering at the fox logo and opening crawl, big laugh at the "I love you because you love me because I love you" scene, groaning at the "Sith roar", medium laughter when Sidious pretended to he helpless against Mace, light cheering when Yoda hammered the red guard, big laugh during the lightsaber helicoptering, then people walking out out silently.

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The three times I saw ROTS there was always a notable chance in the audiance from the Ruminations scene.

Leading up to that scene there was always occasional chatter, fidgiting, people checking their mobiles, etc... But from that moment you could just sense the movie had the audiance completely and totally and it kept them to the end.

18. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    And then the hangover kicked in.....

19. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Where I live (Oakland) people talk on cell phones, fight, throw food/candy at each other and even kill each other in theaters. I'm gonna go to the suburbs to watch Star Wars. Some secluded town of Route 66.

20. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Can't remember anything about TPM. I've got the ticket stub so I know I was there, but I've got no memories of it. Meh, I was 9.

For AOTC I remember someone shouting "Boba Fett!" when Jango blasts off after silencing Zam and the same guy saying "THAT's Boba Fett? Bull...." when we got to Kamino. Boo's when Jar Jar was promoted to Senator. Gasps when Yoda dropped his cane. Half boo/applause (not in a bad way) when the clones are loading into the Venators at the end.

For ROTS my defining memory is the Twin Suns scene. There was applause, lots of it.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  21. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    I must admit I was one of the people who were so happy for a new SW's film that I left the theatre that morning giddy over how fantastic PM was hahaha....I haven't watched it many times since.

22. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I went back 4 times the first week trying to make myself like it. It was really messing with me that Kevin J. Anderson Star Wars books had higher quality storytelling than a George Lucas Star Wars movie!

23. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    To be honest though for me GL is Star Wars and I'll always pick his vision of the universe over anyone else's....not to say I don't enjoy the EU

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I remember people cheering in TPM when the Jedi get into action on the corridors of the Trade Federation ship, some applause when an OT character appeared for the first time (Sidious, Yoda, heck, they even did that to "here Master, Tatooine."), and absolute silence during Duel of the Fates except when Obi-Wan killed Maul, on which people cheered.

As for AotC, some "awe" when Mace suddenly drew out his purple lightsaber, and cheers when Yoda lit up his.

In RotS, I only remember laughs when Yoda Force pushed the Red Guards, like many others. I guess the darkness of the movie didn't leave room for many reactions.

But there is one thing I remember from every time I saw Star Wars in theaters (special editions and TPM 3D included): general applause at the beginning and end of the movies.

Also, all of this only happened when the rooms were full. When there were few people, there is hardly a reaction (but that applies to any movie).

The only time that I noticed that was when I (regretfully) went to see The Avengers. All the laughter was noticeably forced, but I guess it was expected for such movie and respective audience...

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The two things I remember the most are people cheering when Yoda took out his lightsaber to duel Dooku in AOTC, and people laughing / cheering when Yoda knocked out Palpatine's red guards with the Force in ROTS.

Edit: I also meant to mention that there were cheers when "Star Wars" appeared onscreen for all three, especially TPM because it was the first.