main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion will the ST restore Star Wars legendary glory, or will the LOTR stay on top???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWars2015, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    In terms of money, maybe. But Avatar hasn't had nearly the impact that A New Hope did. You don't see many people quoting Avatar, or cosplaying, or making fan communities dedicated to using the film as a medium for bettering the world. Star Wars is so engrained in pop culture and the only thing comparable-and I may get flak for saying this-is Harry Potter, but even that doesn't touch the Wars. Maybe Avatar would reach that level with the release of the subsequent films, but I doubt it. It lacks a mythical and spiritual element that binds the viewer to the film and makes it more than just a movie but an experience in of itself.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  2. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Avatar was a visual masterpiece but broad pop culture influence not so much. I mean seriously its story is a knockoff of Pocahontas.

3. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Oh, how I remember those arguments... The Matrix was going to be timeless, I believe - remembered for its brilliance on both the philosophical and special effects level. It made Star Wars irrelevant, if I recall. Good times, good times.

Darth Chiznuk and DarthBreezy like this.
  4. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    It could depending on how Cameron goes about the next two films. They won't even be out till late 2015 early 2016 so he's taking his sweet time with 2&3. I'm not sure anything can repeat Star Wars impact in the 1980's, not even Star Wars prequels or the upcoming films. I think that was once in a lifetime phenomenon.

DarthBreezy and Jcuk like this.
  5. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    After reading some of the Dismayed and in some cases Arrogrant and condesending opinions of many of the people who still think The Prequels are better than LOTRs. I must say I detect, Fear, Anger, and Hate among them.

Fear for knowing they are Wrong but unable to amit it

Anger for Peter Jackson for daring to make a Masterpiece that Drawfs their Hero George Lucas Prequels is every possible Way.

and

Hate because of the Jealously they have that LOTR is truely just a Better Fanasty Franchise at this point.

Now that does not mean that the ST will not restore Balance to the Galaxy and allow Star Wars to once again Rise to the Top but that is going to greatly depend on JJ Abrams, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford at this Point...................

Darth Claire likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The only thing I hate about the LOTR films is that they take longer to watch then to actually read and their length outweighs the actual benefits of their content. I will never watch them again. Liked them, but the books are better and take less time. The only thing I hate about the Hobbit is that Jackson loves working in Middle Earth so much that he turned a 1 1/2 hour book into 12 hours of film, thereby delaying his starting the Tintin sequel, which I want to see far more than Desolation of Smaug. Get over yourself.

7. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I never managed to get through ANY of Jackson's LOTR movies - bored me to tears. Sorry, I refuse to worship at the Church of Peter Jackson.

8. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012
    Typos and personal insults don't really mix...just saying.-Darth Boba

. I actually enjoy long movies as long as they are full of Drama, Suspense, Action, good villians, epic Heros and just the right amount of Romance and LOTR's has all of these elements in Abundance.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, I'm glad you picked up on that character trait of mine with your exceptional clairvoyance. My favorite films are silent films, my personal favorite clocking in at 9 hours long. Hope that helps with your desperate need to attempt to shame everyone into having the same opinion as you. Good luck!

Darth Chiznuk and CT-867-5309 like this.
  10. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Actually, it's a knock-off of "Dances with Wolves".

11. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012
    And furthermore, The Hobbit is released tomorrow on Blue Ray everywhere..................

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I raise you Das Boot to your LotR.

I enjoy some long movies (Godfather 1&2, Das Boot) but LotR to me was a snore fest. That shouldn't be a critique on LotR-fans, but this whole "attention span" argument is insulting.

13. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Thanks for the heads up... won't be buying. Absolutely dreadful movie.

Yancy

Ryus and DarthBreezy like this.
  14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    It sank faster than the Titanic from the local theartres - It's at the 2$ theartre right now but I think I'll pass.

Ryus likes this.
  15. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Ya I know, the white man runs to the aid of natives. The films could have done without the almost racist bourgeois moralizing. At least he had the balls to throw in an inter species sex scene? He's saying the next film, rather than colonialism, he's going to focus on environmental issues. I wonder how much of a carbon footprint millions of people buying tickets, driving to the theater and purchasing tons of candy, popcorn and soda would be? Avatar could actually speed up global warming by a decade ;)

MrFantastic74 likes this.
  16. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    For me LOTR kept building up to some climatic moment which never took place. It was like sex without the orgasm. After watching I knew how millions of women around the world feel every day. Not my partners of course.

17. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012

"Dont be Insulted, Just watch a fly zoom around the room and land, and see how long you can keep your eyes on it without blinking and that is the length of your attention spand"

18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Now you go on to insult everyone who wears contact lenses. Is there never an end to your arrogance? o_O

19. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012
    I
    No insult was intended...................Its called Q-TIP.......(Quit taking it personal) ...

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I lost my eyelids in the war and this is the thanks our service gets us...? [face_flag]:(

Darth kRud and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    Not sure anyone is taking this all that personally, but most people on these forums are here for a reason. They like/love SW. So in your opinion, LotR is better than SW. Fine. But dont be surprised when you get the reactions your getting. Your on a SW forum after all... And my 2 cents? I liked the LotR series. It was good. Not great. Not even close to SW. Just my opinion.

Darth Chiznuk and Gallandro like this.
  22. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, I'd say this thread's seen it's hysterical peak come and go. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.